Author Topic: Horrified, would you buy this if it came up for sale  (Read 3587 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Horrified, would you buy this if it came up for sale
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
I know him (not terribly well) but not his tech that assists him.

He does alot of nice work and takes pride in how the pin looks especially with custom treated accessories, I posted this to get a honest opinion from people without the name being known about the restore technique. On the other forum I feel that the members have supported him because he took a break and in the past was a positive contributor to that forum. I do feel no one is being honest there to share their true feelings of the restore strategy as he may leave the forum or the hobby. Myself personally posted a comment and then retracted as didn't want to change the vibe of the thread and would only be hated out and plus I don't want to drive him out of the hobby. I did replace the comment with a shocked face icon as that was enough. But personally don't understand the approach and it ust shocks me.

I have not done a restore of a pinball myself but have done alot of timber work over the years using alot of plywoods and exotic timbers and even made timber cnc's for 8 years so I know the timber industry to a degree. I have almost cleared the shed (sold my cnc) and have 2 pinball projects and possibly a 3rd, so to me if a restore was going to be done and you were going to patch the cabinet would you empty out the parts and have a plain cabinet to fix - yes it is more work but at least it could be done properly. I think the restore is a bit of a lazy attempt as the back box is still bolted to the cabinet during the chop, the playfield is still in while the cabinet is being filled and sanded. I know he is making it public but personally don't think it is helping himself on this one.

This isn't a bash a person thread, just wanted a unbiased opinion on a technique of a unknown as others elsewhere were supporting it and I thought "was I the only one that didn't understand or agree with this approach"
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts