Author Topic: Stern Galaxy Restore  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Galaxy Restore
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »

Playfield disassembly

I had previously taken out the playfield just to have a sticky beak - so it was next ! It has mylar, that was placed on after the game had been played. Sections of it had shrunk, and lifted only small sections of paint. There was a fair bit of corrosion, but nowhere nearly as bad as the Sinbad. Probably because Stern didn't use chrome assemblies ?

Apron is really good as well

Before pictures - Well they don't look that pleasant - but they never do ! Some parts will simply need replacement, other will have to be treated. Plastics are fine though, and the playfield itself is really good (just does not look that way right now)

Playfield stripped, and you can see the mylared sections. No considerable wear - thanks to the mylar

Here's a test section after the mylar was removed - just some Nifti, follwed by Novus 2. The mylar removal tool about 2 hours, and there was hardly any paint lift at all !

Here's the adhesive residue leftover from the mylar removal

Post Mylar removal is always the fun bit ! All the adhesive residue is removed, and now we need to just clean up the playfield with some Isocol and Magic Eraser. Looks a bit strange, but some controlled elbow grease and patience will give you some really nice results.

Now you can still see the area where the mylar meets the bare playfield. This will be buffed out a bit later. These pictures were taken after two sessions of cleaning with Novus 2

Here's the future of Pinball !

My 4 year old - Zac, Complete with his own toolkit, at work disassembling the underside of the playfield. He has his own "Ben 10" watch in case of emergencies. He loves working on the machines with me.

$#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia