Author Topic: Black Hole Resto  (Read 5301 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Black Hole Resto
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
Yes the rocks problem was the fuse so i fused the sling coils damn stuck switch.    Funnilly we sold the fuse holders at work obviously been there for years as they are $1.95 each which i think has to be cheap so im gunna grab all of them

The small mountable (single) ones are very hard to find.

Good for you to keep some spare for your personal Sys80...I reckon a HH, or BH for yourself?

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
Looking good, I'll enjoy watching this one.

Any thought to having the playfield clear coated? 

Mylar will bubble if anything is screwed or bolted down on top of it, to stop the bubbling you need to cut around these areas.

Keep the updates coming.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »
Hey Humpalot!,

Its always a thought and a wish re CC a playfield.  I don't have anyone to do it for me.  Would be nice..

When I mylared the T2, I cut around all plastic posts and metal posts.  Anything that was bolted down, coming into contact with the ball was done.

The other option is to repair around the pop-bumpers and only put down mylar rings around these.  It will be a tough job to mylar whole PF with the amount of large areas missing.  I would have to leave the window in.

I'm not 100% happy with the way the pf is polishing up at the moment.  The novus is OK but still a little dull and dry (no wax as yet.)

I've lent my treasure-cove kit out but should be back soon.  I will do a test spot and see how it comes up.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:10:12 PM »
Looking good, I'll enjoy watching this one.

Any thought to having the playfield clear coated? 

Mylar will bubble if anything is screwed or bolted down on top of it, to stop the bubbling you need to cut around these areas.

Keep the updates coming.

I plan on doing CC my HH and spirit as they will be keepers. I have not yet removed the factory mylar off a System80  !@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
Why not do your touch ups and take the playfield to an auto repair place and have them clear it?  You have fully stripped the top of the playfield so this wouldn't be a problem.

If you decide to do this make sure that you prepsol the playfield before you take it.  

Clearing the playfield will give it a nice shine and give you the results that I think your are looking for in this restro.

If it helps with your decision my HH had mylar on it when I got it, but there was a lot of lifting along the edges of the playfield window.  I have since removed the mylar and I'm planing on clearing it.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
I plan on doing CC my HH and spirit as they will be keepers. I have not yet removed the factory mylar off a System80  !@#

Hehe,

already pulled the mylar off my HH, found it a lot less painfull than system 11 games.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:23:48 PM by humpalot »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Why not do your touch ups and take the playfield to an auto repair place and have them clear it?  You have fully stripped the top of the playfield so this wouldn't be a problem.

If you decide to do this make sure that you prepsol the playfield before you take it.  

Clearing the playfield will give it a nice shine and give you the results that I think your are looking for in this restro.

If it helps with your decision my HH had mylar on it when I got it, but there was a lot of lifting along the edges of the playfield window.  I have since removed the mylar and I'm planing on clearing it.

Believe me, I've gone over it a million times on nearly all of my machines.  My spray painter  - who is going to paint the cabinet and has agreed to repair it, get it level and clear in between each coat has agreed to this no dramas.  If it gets stuffed, easy fix.   No such luck with a playfield.  From reading and research generally its one thin coat, let it set, block it then at least another two or so thin coats as well.  Given its not baked in the oven.  He isn't keen on doing a playfield because of the risks.
I guess the thing is, as long as your careful laying down the mylar, you can get a nice shine on it without the risk.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »
Believe me, I've gone over it a million times on nearly all of my machines.  My spray painter  - who is going to paint the cabinet and has agreed to repair it, get it level and clear in between each coat has agreed to this no dramas.  If it gets stuffed, easy fix.   No such luck with a playfield.  From reading and research generally its one thin coat, let it set, block it then at least another two or so thin coats as well.  Given its not baked in the oven.  He isn't keen on doing a playfield because of the risks.
I guess the thing is, as long as your careful laying down the mylar, you can get a nice shine on it without the risk.

Maybe you can get a junk playfield and use it as a test for both yourself and your spray painter?  I did 2 junk playfields before I attempted my first CC.  The number of coats is really a personal preference and depends largely on the condition of the playfield and the type of clear being sprayed.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »
Did you do yours at home?

I've got a large garage (attached to the house) with excellent ventilation.

I did grab an old 8-ball playfield for this purpose, but a mate grabbed it as he is an artist and was going to see how he went with pf restos?

Tempting....

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »

Hehe,

already pulled the mylar off my HH, found it a lot less painfull than system 11 games.

Music to my ears, Mick !

Ian (63Wizz) removed his as well.

I'll just get Gavin to do the CC - Shh - He does not know it yet !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
Stuff it im going to pullout one of my old playfields and buy some two pac clear and give it a go.  I can spray a full car im sure i can clear a playfield????  !*!

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 12:02:52 AM »
Stuff it im going to pullout one of my old playfields and buy some two pac clear and give it a go.  I can spray a full car im sure i can clear a playfield????  !*!

That's exactly how I started.  I used to do cars, playfields are easy to CC but like cars it's just the prep that takes the time.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »
I removed mine using an old pair of side cutters. With the thin edge on these they can grab the fattest part of the head flush to the rail, and twist enough to get them a tiny bit out, enough to grab with pliers and twist the rest of the way.

I gave this a go this morning.  Worked a treat!  Killed a set of side cutters but I was due some new ones anyway.

Quite a few nails snapped when removing them.  Should I drill them out or any other suggestions?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
great work so far
keep going,
i love restorations
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »
Thanks Beaky,

Still heaps to go.

Another question.  I understand mylar on these (if cut around the window) can tend to lift.  Can anyone see any issues if you were to mylar completely over the top (ie whole pf, one piece?)