Author Topic: Creature Prototype Restoration  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Creature Prototype Restoration
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
Attention to detail is superb !

This will come up REAL nice !  *%*
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
Since today was Halloween, I only got a little done.

I have found in the past that it's absolutely necessary that I make a little progress each day - even if I just go into the shop, put some tools away, clean up a little etc. If I spend a day away from the project, it becomes 2, then 3, suddenly weeks turn to months and my mind wanders. Today, I spent about an hour cleaning. I did some small PCBs and lamp boards.

A container of dirty boards, lamp, triac, chase lamp, etc (can't find the danged coin door interface board, have had it in my hands in the last 48 hours!

The 'after' pics:

The process for these is simple, although having had this discussion on another forum tells me my product of choice is not readily available in your country.

I place the boards in my kitchen sink or bathtub, then coat with Scrubbing Bubbles. Scrubbing Bubbles is a bathroom cleaning product that comes in a spray can and shoots soap on the item being cleaned - a shower, bathtub, sink, pinball part, etc and then the foaming soap 'expands' and as it runs off the board, you can see it taking a lot of the contaminants off the board.

I typically coat the board, let it soak for a moment, and then use a paintbrush to work into all the tight spots and make sure everything gets clean. Then, I give the board a hot water rinse, followed by 91% rubbing alcohol to displace any water left behind, then I dry the board with my air compressor and let it sit on a towel overnight. Then, I bag the boards til they are ready to be installed.

The little twist-in sockets get cleaned in the ultrasonic with 91% alcohol, and then are blown dry with the compressor.

The boards come out looking new.

Tomorrow, I'll get back to the grind. Haven't decided what to do yet, but definitely need to start cleaning cabinet hardware and parts. Also have a lot of stainless to clean and regrain.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
Day 7

Weekends are always incredibly busy times around my households. Seems I can't get as much accomplished over the weekend as I can on a weekday, as backwards as that sounds.

Tonight, I packed up a bunch of dirty parts to clean, mostly the stainless ball guides from the top of the PF, but also some cabinet hardware, the under playfield trough, and the window.

I'm glad I never tried smoking..

Need to regrain the ball guides and work on some trough parts with metal polish, a lot of the 'filth' apparently is ground in so well that regular cleaners won't touch it. But most parts look real nice

Keep in mind, not only does this level of detail make the pins look nice, they are also clean to work on in the future, and this is the ONLY way to get that nasty smell out of the European routed games that are heavily loaded with cigarette odors.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »
November 12, 2009 - aka Day 8

Start of work
http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/proto_cftbl_progress/DSCN1524

Now that the parts are clean, I need to address the surface corrosion and contamination that the degreaser would not remove.

Some of these parts are typically pretty nasty. I think the worst ones are just zinc plated steel - and I've had NOS zinc steel brackets in controlled environments go to crap real quick.

Some of the parts are the ball guides, which get a line ground into them by the moving ball, metal on metal contact.

So, how do we clean them? I've used a few methods, some of which work better than others.

The ball guides can have the grooves buffed out of them with green scotch brite pads - which are readily available at the grocery here. I actually get huge ones at the warehouse club and cut them into smaller pieces. Then, I just need some sort of lubricant to 'wet sand' the ball guides. But, admittedly, the green scotch brite pad isn't necessarily coarse enough. I've used 120, followed by 220, then 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper in the past to wet sand them. Then, once they are done, I buff them up with a bit of mothers mag wheel polish.

A mild ball trail ground into this smallish ball guide... progressing from as found to ready to reinstlal.

And some of the 'zinc'd steel' parts that aren't stainless and are a little harder to polish up:

Playfield standoffs are *clean*, just not everywhere yet. Progression..

Nice, clean parts..

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »

So all pictures above are the results of the wet/dry sandpaper method ?

Outstanding !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
Well, I've got a bit of a process update that will answer your questions about the process.

The pics from last night are a mixture - some are 120 grit sandpaper, sanded wet, with windex, then once the heavy grooves or junk are off the material, then I used a green scotchbrite pad with windex to return the grain. The parts that weren't too heavily grained or contaminated just used the green scotch brite with windex. Then, I hand polished them up with a bit of Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on a rag.

A friend suggested I try the red scotchbrite pads, I had difficulty finding them locally and was going to order a case off eBay (20 huge pads for roughly $20 USD shipped), but I decided that I would prefer to try before buying, if at all possible. I went to a local discount home improvement store to get a wooden plank for a project, and was walking around and stumbled on them there, 1 for $1.89. They had 2 of them, so I purchased both - and used almost all of 1 tonight on the Creature guides. Really, I think it would've gone faster if I had more of them. The people selling them claim that they can be rinsed and reused. I simply don't see how that's possible, they seem to wear out with use. But, I'll rinse them and let them dry in the sun tomorrow and see if maybe once the crap is flushed out of them, perhaps they are useful again.

The 3M part # for the case of 20 is 07447.

The red pads are abrasive enough that I just don't see a need for sandpaper anymore.

Tonight's pics start here:
http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/proto_cftbl_progress/DSCN1540

Wetsanding with the red scotchbrite pad

Windex is starting to bubble up, the part is ready to be wiped off. Note the material past the bend, it's not yet sanded

Shiny!

Both parts after buffing with mothers mag polish

All the polished parts, bagged up to wait on reinstallation

So, I'd say the red scotchbrite pads are a success!

Offline Supremicus

• Forum Posts:
  • Emerald, QLD
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
Nice work john, i'll have to keep an eye out for those pads to do the trim on mine.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 02:06:55 AM »
Day 10 was a full one!

As the parts list continues, I decided it was time to verify what parts I needed to build the cabinet. That meant going through the cabinet hardware and cleaning it.  Since the cabinet was in such sad shape when the game arrived, it was clear that I would need some cabinet hardware. I have parted out numerous WPC games over the years and have a pretty substantial amount of extra hardware - however, the common stuff is always missing or damaged, so I had to determine if I truly had what I needed.

Photo album begins here:
http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/proto_cftbl_progress/DSCN1551

First matter of concern - Creature was the 6th game to have playfield slides - and the earliest games had a slide system that was slightly different than the later games. Instead of the nice, robust metal plate that goes underneath the pivot nuts, Creature has 4 washers. This doesn't allow the playfield to slide as easily as the metal plates, and allows for the cabinet braid to get torn up pretty easily. Also, the game had incorrect hardware on the pivot nuts, so I wasn't sure at the beginning if I had the right pivot nuts, or enough of them.

You can see in this photo

Someone has replaced the forward shooter size pivot nut carriage bolt with a leg bolt. That just won't work. The ground braid is also frayed or torn on both sides. It can't do its job.

This is the pivot hardware that came out of the game

So, I'm missing one carriage bolt.

I found some of the flat metal plates I mentioned in a parts box

Actually have 4, but only 2 are pictured. I've got numerous other games that require the same upgrade when they get restored, so I had better locate some more of these.

Some other hardware I need has been located too, along with spare pivot nuts.

I cleaned them all, and stuck them all in the tumbler, as I am constantly finding games where the pivot nuts fell off, and it seems that they are the only games I get that the operators vacuum out - as the missing pivot nuts are always missing.

Not pictured is the remaining hardware for the head hinges - but I found enough parts to put the Creature back together.

As pictured, the head pivot hardware is incorrect.

But, that is easily fixed.

I've also rounded up enough hardware to build up a set of the correct early fliptronics opto boards. I haven't found my stash of optos, but I intend to replace all 4 optos as they are often flaky or intermittent on games the age of this one. I want to be able to put the opto boards in, and have the game ready to play. Also, I don't have a lot of spares of this style opto board, so I need to get these right. I'm a stickler for original boards in my games, I have plenty of the newer style, or could upgrade to aftermarket boards, but I don't want to do this.

I'm going to need a new or good used cabinet speaker!

The mirror has been broken. Luckily, I have a spare

Projector is filthy

Coin door looks like it has potential..

In general, a lot of American collectors don't like to refurbish their original coin doors - many collectors consider container games to be of lesser value than domestic games that have never left the country. Strange as it sounds! I've always thought condition was king, and price was determined by condition - but that's a rant that I'll save everyone here. Granted, this game was quite rough to start with - but when you like prototype games, they don't just grow on trees. So, you take what you can get.

I put the original doors back on games when possible - assuming I can make them clean up reasonably. This game's door looked like it wouldn't be too bad, fill a couple holes in the front, a fresh coat of paint, and reinstall. However, initial appearances are decieving.

When I turned the door over, most of the back hardware was gone, and the harness was cut up and mostly missing!

I spent 4 hours on the coin door alone - and combined parts from 4 coin doors to make this one nearly complete. But more on that later!

Here's something you just don't see very often - a WPC printer kit.

These were a rare option installed in most prototype games when they left the factory. They were available for operators to purchase, but that didn't happen very often. Basically, it's an additional backbox board that installs either on top of the fliptronics board, or in the corner of the backbox where the fliptronics board would go if the game were so equipped, along with another board to be mounted in the lower cabinet. These allowed an operator to print a report - if you've played with a lot of WPC games, you have surely seen the option to print, and perhaps wondered how you'd hook the printer up. I've also been told in rare circumstances, taxing authorities may want printouts of game revenue. And, in a few cases, the printer ports were used to link games - you can link 2 NBA Fastbreaks, or 2 or more Hot Shot basketball (WPC redemption) games.

For those on the techie side, rarely were these used with actual printers. Typically, the game designers would go to wherever the game was on location for test, and hook up a laptop and establish a null modem session and dump the data to their laptop, then take it back to the office to review things to determine how many extra balls the game gave out, how long ball times were, etc, and changes were made. One interesting change made to Creature - the flippers were moved apart. I've been told by the game designer that the European operators determined that ball times were too long, so they spread the flippers a bit to make the game more difficult.

So, how do I know that my game should have one of these? 2 giveaways

1) The spacers that the board in the head mount to are still installed

And if you look real close under the shooter, you can see where the lower cabinet board was installed

What happened to the original kit? That, I don't know. Someone somewhere in its life removed it. Maybe they were troubleshooting something and decided it was not necessary, perhaps they stole it for another game, perhaps something broke. But, I wanted it back.

So, where does someone find such a kit? I searched for this for several years. I have a substantial network of resources from my years collecting. I have contacts at most of the former WMS distributors in the US that are still in business, and have been known to locate items that were just considered gone. Stuff like NOS wired playfields, plastics sets, game specific parts that are always broken yet never available, etc. That didn't pan out. I tried every pinball parts supplier I know - also didn't pan out. Various newsgroup and forum posts yielded nothing. Apparently, that showed my desperation, as one kit popped up on eBay from a seller in Denmark - for $500 USD. I wouldn't pay that. OK, I *would* have paid that when the game was done, but I would've moved on to another game before this one, as I don't have $500 in disposable hobby income right now. I bought my Indiana Jones and my Addams for less than $500 total! I even asked my friends at Illinois Pinball - and they could find nothing.

Then, something strange happened - for my birthday, my wife took me to the Illinois Pinball sale to do a little shopping. Admittedly, it was just a *little* shopping, as I'd been unemployed for some time - but she recognized that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and that once the parts were all loaded up, the only chance I'd have to see them would be buying them once cataloged and placed online by PSP. So, we headed over for the afternoon, and I had a budget of $100 USD for anything I might buy. After a couple hours, no printer kits found - but I did get some goodies I wanted, and had a blast looking around and chatting with Aussie Tim and James from Pinball Inc. I mentioned to them that I was looking for a printer kit - and a friend had mentioned it to them earlier too. I got home, and later that night, I found a picture of a printer kit in my mailbox. Apparently, they found not 1, but 3 printer kits and spare parts, while going through parts.

Collectors in Australia will be very pleased once these parts get cataloged and online, I promise you that Americans did not find and purchase *all* the treasures. And I know that things were being unearthed daily - but anyways, I made another trip to Illinois and bought all the printer kit goodies that were turned up. I have a friend who needed a couple, and I got the spare parts with hopes that I can turn them into another complete printer kit if I can locate parts down the road. Protos are often missing these printer kits. They were not 'cheap', but definitely were 'reasonable'. And I'll always be grateful to Tim and James for turning them up!

So, anyways, back to the coin door. I sent a good friend who has a fair amount of parts an instant message and discussed what coin doors he might have around. He thought he might have something, but I decided to see what I could do first. So, I gathered up all my 'parts' coin doors of this style, and even a couple that might be salvageable. I had already torn the door down to figure out exactly what I needed - an error that ended up costing me some time. I finally found a pretty nice 2 slot US door of the same style with a mostly intact harness. I got the door off my other CFTBL, which is also a 3 slot export door from Germany, to make my own wiring schematic, as the ones in the manual are for domestic games, and that doesn't have everything I need. The domestic doors are missing the wiring for the 3rd coin slot - specifically an orange wire with a red trace.  I removed the tubing covering the wire harness to expose the harness and determine what I needed to fix or replace.

So, after looking around, I decided that it should be pretty easy to add the missing lamp in, and replace the missing wire for the 3rd coin slot. But, I am a stickler for details - couldn't be just any 3rd wire or extra lamp, the parts had to be original, and the wire colors had to match.

I removed a lamp socket from a parts door

Along with the purple and white with purple trace wire from the original game harness

Though you may not be able to tell from the photo, I pulled the wrong wire - I pulled the orange with brown trace wire instead of the orange with red trace wire. I pulled the right wire after the picture was taken, then had to grab more orange with red trace wire from yet another coin door to make a splice, because the wire wasn't long enough.

Then, I had to rebuild the coin door, because I couldn't figure out how long to make the wires without the parts attached to the door. Here's a photo of my working the harnesses together into 1 harness that looks original and is complete:

I carefully spliced the orange with red tracer wire in 2 spots, both of which could be easily hidden - because I didn't want the splice to be obvious, and the wires had to be the correct color. Once the harness was completed, I realized I had a slight problem - while the harness came out of the black plastic tubing that protected the wiring, it didn't want to go back in. My solution was hardly elegant, but was functional. I found a piece of music wire - one that I use to make new linkages for the eyes in Funhouse and Roadshow - and passed it through the tubing, as it is solid, and then taped each wire to the music wire, and pulled them through 1 at a time.

The door is nearly complete. Once it's complete, I will tear it down again, tumble and polish the hardware, give it a fresh coat of paint, install new coin chutes and reject buttons, then reassemble. I'll find some way to fill the holes in the coin entrance, too.

As you can tell from the photo of the front of the coin door, the finish is somewhat worn, and the holes are pretty obvious.

There's another small hole at the lower right corner of the coin entrance bezel - above the lock and slightly to the left - but it's barely noticeable and I didn't even see it til the door was torn apart - so it won't get filled. The door is too thin in that area to make a good looking repair. And, I bet 9 out of 10 people wouldn't even notice it.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:15:37 AM by johnwartjr »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 02:24:11 AM »
John, the level of effort you go to is amazing.

What I cant work out, is how you remember where every nut and bolt goes.
How long have you been refurbishing machines for ? you make it look easy.Again, like Nino in Australia with his work, very talented.  *%*

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 07:26:31 AM »
Great story about the printer kit!

Did any come to Australia??

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
John, the level of effort you go to is amazing.

What I cant work out, is how you remember where every nut and bolt goes.
How long have you been refurbishing machines for ? you make it look easy.Again, like Nino in Australia with his work, very talented.  *%*

Thanks!

I think it goes back to the way I was raised. My father takes longer to do most jobs than anyone else I know. But, if he did the work, you know it's solid and even if it looks the same as a job that took 1/4 the time today, it will hold up. It was hard to understand that growing up (and it still baffles my wife sometimes), but now I take a lot of pride in it.

He and I raced radio control cars, both 1/10th scale electric on carpet, asphalt and dirt, and 1/4 scale on asphalt, for years. The process of building the car from the ground up, maintaining it, improving it etc was a great way to learn mechanics. When we stopped, mainly due to lack of a place to race them locally, I wanted another project. I bought a project car, but Dad and I never found time to work on it enough to keep it moving and keep it interesting. Around that time, I was dating the woman who is now my wife, and we'd visit a local pizza parlor that had a Rollergames. I loved the game, got hooked at first because I watched the show on television growing up, and had to have my own pinball.

I bought my first game, a Rollergames, back in 2001, and it was incredibly rough. And I continued to buy games from the same seller, until he stopped selling games. I learned a lot that way.

Regarding what goes where, I take a lot of pictures, and also, a lot of stuff is not game specific - while this game has a pile of assemblies, a number of them are 'common' from game to game - so a flipper assy is a flipper assy whether it's for a TZ, Addams, Creature etc. The coil value may differ, the plunger/link/return spring and coil stop may vary, but they go in the same places etc. With my first pin, I was afraid to take both flippers apart at the same time, so I did one flipper, and once I was sure it worked, I moved to the next. When I rerubbered it, I took one slingshot plastic off, loosened a wireform, replaced that ring, reassembled, moved to the next one etc.

Now, I do everything but playfield touchup work, as that's out of my league. At least it is today. I do all my own PCB repair too. I was dangerous with a soldering iron when I started :)

My wife's not so hot on the pins anymore, I think I kinda burned her out. But, every now and then, I can talk her into playing them.

Once the kids (1 and 3) get hooked, I'll have a better chance at getting her hooked again, too.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 10:58:04 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if some turn up. Gene Cunningham didn't really know what he had, so stuff that was thought to be non-existant turned up seemingly around every corner. I was told there were none, and after I left, the right box was found.

I bought all that were found and offered to me, though, 1 for me, 2 for a good friend, and the remaining leftover parts. Tough kit to find...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »

VERY informative read about the printer kit and your quest to locate one. funny how the harder it get to locate a part, the more you HAVE to have it !

This is going to be one sweet machine when done.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 12:42:34 PM »

This is going to be one sweet machine when done.

Agreed...

Valuable information is given as well as a resto thread..

Keeping my eyes peeled for the on going updates !  ^^^

Great work John....
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 03:34:57 PM »
Interesting read on the printer John, as stated by the other guys, the level of detail is outstanding, keep up the fantastic work mate  *%*