Author Topic: Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo  (Read 5790 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »
Hi everyone, Today was a pretty good day in pinball...It went from a standing start to all working except...it starts from the coin mech but not the replay button...also, it neither adds replays nor subtracts them...and consistent with this, when the 8 Ball is lit (for a free game) it does not give a free game, and hence the 'High' and 'Low' Specials lights do not light.....sounds to me like it's probably in the add/subtract game wheel in the head, ...but what do you reckon?? The game starts, plays, ends, and resets as normal.
           Any suggestions to fix the problem/s would be great. Apart from that, ....I love it when a plan comes together... Mark

mark jackson

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »
........ Hey, I really love 'before' and 'after' shots, so here's original pics of Bank A Ball, which show what it whas like at the time I purchased it. Mark

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Spurry raves about the resto you have done on this, a very nice job and machine.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2009, 10:43:20 PM »

Love your work, Mark - Super Effort  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »
Hard to see that the before and after shots are of the same game.

Just amazing work and another beautiful classic Gottlieb saved.

So what is next Mark?  #@#

mark jackson

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
Howdy pinball fans, ... Just thought I'd put up a few more pics, and give a bit of a rundown on how things went. I worked out the things that were not quite right, except for one thing. It still won't respond off the replay button, but all else solved. I learned a few things....the not adding or subtracting replays was solved by adjustment of contacts in the free game unit in the head. I just worked both add and subtract coils by hand, and watched when switches were either opened or closed. Often when you know what the part is supposed to be doing on the game, you can just watch and see if a contact is working or not. The problem about the '9' not going out when ball rolls through the '14' and '9' rollover was tricky. I first thought that the problem would be in the #9 stuff in the head. Not so. When I looked at the contacts and solder on the blades it all looked fine...But I decided to 'freshen' all the solder to those blades. Now both '14' and '9' drop as they should, so the problem must have been a 'dry' solder join on one of those blades. Apart from that I had to pull one of the score reels down .. (and for the first time ever, I loosened off the Allan key nut on outside of score reel, and slightly 'moved' a supporting block on inside of score reel. This worked so that the 'spring back' effect worked cleanly and properly. This made the score reel work as it should.
              I also learned how much I really love Gottlieb wedgeheads of the 60's. They're just great machines, with great functioning mechanical parts. Anyway, a few pics. Cheers, Mark

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »
Thats an awsome effort there and on a fantastic title.  You must be very happy   ^^^

mark jackson

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
Hi, It's Mark here again...So, a summary....I bought this as a non working wreck...With the wicked price I paid for the lovely repro backglass, I spent about $1500 on parts, plus paint, paper, brushes etc. Let's say $1700 for good measure. I spent 6 months of my life on it, working most days and many hours on many days. It's not perfect, but that's not the object of restoration. But it IS like a new machine. I tried to do everything on the machine...all cleaned, adjusted, replaced where it needed it.  It's as close to original art and original mechanical condition as I could possibly get it, and it plays like a new machine. ...not just the flippers and bumpers, but scorereels, motor, reset coils, relays etc. ..like I said I tried to do everything on the machine.
         What's my time worth? Let's say that I spent 250 hours on it (even though it was much more), and let's use $30 hr as a reasonable rate... You can do the maths, but my point is this. One day I'll sell this machine and I'll put a figure on it somewhere around $7500....and you know what?? It'll be worth it. Commercial operators are asking around $5000 for reasonable (not great) examples of these machines, and they aren't doing anywhere near the work to them that I do with every machine I have restored. So, even though we all hear about 'cheap' machines, they are cheap because they are usually wrecked. I reckon pinball is a lot like life ... you only get what you pay for.
         I've really enjoyed doing this one, as I had been having a break from pinball for the few years before this (and the Queen Of Diamonds). Bank A Ball is a truly wonderful game, and if you're passing through the Central Coast and would like a few games, feel free to call 02 4328 1016 and we can make a time. Fellow restorers are most welcome. Thanks to all of you who helped or responded to my questions. Special thanks to Mark Hanlon who gave me a flyer signed by Bank A Ball designer Ed Krinsky! Special thanks to Tony, who is a real straight shooter. Until the next machine, happy trails. Mark

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »
Has come up a gem Mark  @@*  @@* - Well worth the time and effort you have spent on it.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:47 PM »

One of the best EMs in the country, Mark. And you are right when you say you need to have a break in between high level restorations. The amount of detail and dedication needed to restore at this level is sometimes to the point of being ridiculously time consuming. But you get there in the end, and you have a talking point within the collection and also the satisfaction of knowing you have given the machine the best possible outcome possible. The value of the game can sometimes be more or less that "market" value - but then again - "what is market value" with this kind of work. Would "Joe Public" have an opportunity to buy such a machine ? Also - sometimes the "value" the experience has given to you (the restorer) makes up for any shortcomings in the price of the game - should you sell it. I always think of the "enjoyment" the 100 + hours gave me, as the restorer.

You lifted the bar on this restoration. Congrats..

Well done  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »
Outstanding work.  ^^^

The machine will probably last a 100 years more now.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »
Just cant get enough of your restorations Mark.....she is a stunner!

Lets hope that it inspires just one collector here to undertake a classic 1960s pin. They are still out there to be found.

So Mark (inside joke here) gotta ask....what is your next project?  :lol

mark jackson

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
Hey Tony, I currently have no project, but I'm looking for one....particularly if it has a good playfield. ... searching for a 60's wedgehead even as we speak. Mark

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your awesome work with us Mark .  ^^^
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your resto on this one , and you have inspired me to continue to strive to put in the hours needed with my own 1968 EM that I am currently slowly restoring. (and have still never played in my life  %.%)

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$