Author Topic: Star Trek resto PART III. STTNG.  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Star Trek resto PART III. STTNG.
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
I also wanted to trick up the pf ships/toys a little so i played around with a few ideas...  &&

Klingon ship was replaced with a more detailed version with its existing leds ( has leds tied into the ship ) ... I ripped the existing wiring loom off the original ship and refit it to the new more detailed ship. ( two light globe sockets underneath the wings )

Romulan ship has a flasher through the middle of it and It is meant to be in a dark and hidden corner. The ship in gameplay is supposed to appear out from a cloaking shield ( which makes it invisible ) and pops up unexpectedly and that's when the flasher illuminates and lights the ship and the corner it sits in. So i kept the original ship and all i did was add a little paint detail.

The shuttle craft usually has its ass facing the player but i found this to be useless and wasted so i wanted  to highlight it with a beacon on top of it and light the under carriage in order to really illuminate the ramp in which it mounts too....

I totally stripped the original, resprayed it in gloss white, added NOS decals to it and then added a little paint detail as well. I also created a led lighting harness for it which was hot glued inside of the craft. It simply ties into the GI...

The original Borg ship has blue thin lenses covering the ships windows and highlights blue when it goes off. Well i wanted to be true to the series and highlight the ship green ! It is supposed to light up green so i ripped off the blue lenses, decked it out with green leds and green flashes, fitted the inside of the ship with reflective tape to further enhance the effects of the leds.

I believe these simple mods will hopefully have a great impact.

We'll have to wait for the re pop of the playfield to see some of the lighted mods and see if they were worth the effort.  *)*
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
By the way, if anyone has ever wondered why the large spaceship on the next gen playfield looks like it does, and why the ship is shaped like that, and if u are wondering what star trek episode that ship came from, the ship is actually a "Tarkalean Freighter) (pronounced Tar-key-ly anne) from a star trek episode where the borg assimilate the crew of that freighter, and then escape off into the nebula/space in it whilst running from the good guys. (yes, i am a bit of a star trek nut).lol  The freighter was used well back in the next gen days on TV, but used the latest recently on Star Trek Enterprise when the Borg are defrosted by humans at the arctic circle. (thats the cool episode anyway.lol)

when i first saw the ship, i thought it was made that way only because it served a purpose to lock balls and shoot them out etc, but the ship is an exact replica of a freighter as i stated above. Ya learn something everyday !

if ya do a search on a star trek website, you will see where that exact shape freighter is used in various episodes of star trek next gen, voyager, as well as star trek enterprise.  

live long and prosper. lol  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:52:03 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:33 AM »
IIRC Brett that episode you mention is the last episode of season 6 and continues on as the first episode of season 7...  %.%

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »

Only a Trekkie Fan would go to these lengths - Simply amazing attention to detail !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
I started to re assemble the PF...  $#$

Another thing to mention is that the light board was re fitted to the head.

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »
More pix...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 03:43:48 AM »
I noticed you have chosen to pick your own different colours for your post sleeves/cliffys, instead of just using the standard black factory ones.

It does brighten things up a bit. Good idea. I will be interested to see what it looks like when the machine is finished.

Mate, you have done a fantastic job with the Next Gen. Looks amazing.

Dying to see a video when she is done.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
I will make a video just for you Caveman, but i can almost guarantee that it will be shit ! %.%
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:02:58 AM by Pinfan »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
WOW! Beautiful work mate!  *%*

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »
it will be one of the best next gens around once its finished  $#$
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
OK guys i am smashing through this now.... $#$

I installed a new pair of side rails.

I have also re assembled the majority of the pf but have left it to what i call the 'testing stage'. This applies to the light board too.

This is referring to testing the #555 leds/flashers making sure that they are placed in the right direction and working properly.

To those who are unfamiliar with leds sometimes they need a little tweaking to get them sitting right in their sockets...

I have found that once you have tweaked the leds they seldom give you trouble...

Ramps, metal ramps and toys are sitting in their location but have not been fastened down, these have been left loose for the 'testing phase.'

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
Looking good Marco.    Have you had to use any #44 Leds on this machine i tested a few the other night on CFTBL and the Leds didnt light the polarity is wrong did you have this issue?  I really hope i dont have to re wire each 44 socket to run leds

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
Thanks Daniel..

No issues with 44's..... half the globes in STTNG are 44's.....They always work which ever way they go in...These are the coin taker leds i am referring too..

Unless you used the Mark C/pinball life leds which are only good for GI and not inserts....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:01:00 PM by Pinfan »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
Thanks Marco ill try them in GI and see how i go

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »
Your next gen is looking sweet marco. Keep up the good work!! ^^^

Hey have you seen the lazer beam mod for the cannons??
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.