Author Topic: Bally Gas Display replacement (prototype just for fun)  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Well time for an update on this project. I closely measured the current draw of the display and did some homework on power used by these types of 7 segment LED displays.

I am also in discussions with an LED factory in PRC and they have given me an initial quote to make 5000pcs in the correct colour and size with narrow segments and a comma just like the original glass displays (and very similar to 'other' brands of LED replacements available). The cost per piece is very reasonable but when I saw the tooling cost  ^%^.

Anyway - still not deterred I pressed on with a prototype 5V - stand alone - 3 amp power supply to run the 5 new LED display modules. There is NO WAY you could fit five new LED replacement modules af ANY brand and expect the 30 year old 5V power supply to keep up - it would cook for sure! The additional power supply takes 12V AC directly from the mains transformer output and the transformer is perfectly capable of handling the extra current from my measurements.

Following are some pics of the prototype, I used bog standard parts so future repairs would be easy. I expect to have some news on complete kits soon. I intend to look at 4 different kits so far but I am open to suggestions:

(1) Bally - 5 X 6 segment display modules with 5V 3A power supply kit and all cables, clips screws etc
(2) Bally - 4 X 7 segment display modules + 1 X 6 segment module with 5V 3A power supply kit and all cables, clips screws etc
(3) Zaccaria - 5 X 6 segment display modules with 5V 3A power supply kit and all cables, clips screws etc
(4) Zaccaria - 5 X 7 segment display modules with 5V 3A power supply kit and all cables, clips screws etc (not 100% on this - more research needed)

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals