Author Topic: Down down, prices are down...  (Read 7093 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Down down, prices are down...
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
$5950 NIB ACDC Pro

Two months later:
$5000 for an opened floor stock version from an SA dealer

Six months after that:
$4800 for an as new HUO (had to be listed twice and opening price had to drop below $5k to get a bite)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251226983560?nma=true&si=hRkKphX3%2Fv7mo9clIdATEFWAsdc%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true

One month after that:
$4000 for a 2 month old machine (and could only attract one bidder).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251235240128?nma=true&si=hRkKphX3%2Fv7mo9clIdATEFWAsdc%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true

Next stop sub $4k?  :D

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Down down, prices are down...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
Bound to happen with the numbers that where sold-bargains to be had yee haa enjoy

Peter

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
Absolute bargain at those prices. Goes to show you've just got to enjoy the machines you play because their certainly not a money making investment.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »

Next stop sub $4k?  :D

Most definitely. A very popular Pro release such as ACDC could go down to a third of release price due to numbers. They will then hold value over time. I remember the same trend when I purchased my used Flash in 1980. Picked it up for $600 when they were selling new for about 2K. They were so popular that every suburb had a half dozen of them in the wild. There were bargains to be made on the used market.
Have you made any analysis on the LE market trends yet. It would be interesting to see how they hold their value.

Home collector Pro prices should also hold better value than heavy played operator equivalents.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:38:11 AM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »

Some of these "half a pin" pro versions are bound to drop a bit given the numbers here, I suspect the LE's etc particularly of this game will hold up well though.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »
Looks like ACDC Pro is finding its 2nd hand price as the games find themselves to market... be interesting to see what price it finds.
I was suprised the Brisbane one didnt attract more bids.. its ACDC bogan heaven in some parts here.. maybe they spent all expendable cash on ACDC beer and weed?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
The prices have no reflection on the quality of the machines at all, rather people needing to sell in a hury due to unforseen circumstances by the looks of it, or people just wanting to change titles, either way, a few people only out of at least 2 hundred is peanuts. People have been buying n selling all makes of pinball machines for fifty years and losing a bit here n there on the changeover, so its no big deal at all. It seems to only be a big deal to some if its a recent Stern.
And IMO there is no such thing as a Stern Pro half a pin. The Pro models are fully featured and can hold their own compared to any pinball machine before it. The Pros have sold very very well because they are such a great machine, full of features, so the half a pin bit doesnt make any sense to me at all. Anyone who has played the latest Sterns would know that the LE machines only have a few different bits n pieces on the playfield compared to a Pro. If anything, its the lighting and the bling which sets them apart.

If u look at the last AC/DC Pro that went for $4,000, the bidder actually bidded 4 x more times over n above the $4,000 but only because no one else bid, did he get a decent score. How much were his subsequent 4 x more bids, could be one hundred each, could be two hundred each, who knows, but his additional unused bids show he was definately prepared to pay more.

The recent Avengers LE sold for $6400 cause the owner decided to list a machine at a auction start instead of a buy it now, with a offer advertisement, which clearly would have got him alot more, because the machine was resold within a week for $8200 plus. Therefore, brand new is $8950, 2nd hand out of box, not brand new in box is $8250, a $700 adrop, which sounds about right.

There is a Tron for sale on Ebay at the moment for $4300, thats a good deal as well. Some people dont mind buying at $6200 and selling a few grand cheaper after a few years of usage. Others would hold their price high and wait and not suffer the loss.
It all shows one thing, if u have the cash, and your timing is right, u can sometimes pick up bargains. Nothing unusual here for the pinball industry. One mans financial difficulty is another mans windfall.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
 A bit of insight on that one.

I had interest and I emailed the seller early in the play.
I asked what his B.I.N price was and he wanted $5400 - I laughed at that as he wanted another $200 to deliver ( OK ) and $80 to wrap - making it a $5700 game when NIB are $5950.

I asked him to get me some decent images and he told me the game was still sited and he didnt have pics like that ( basically ) and couldnt get them.
So - to me , that made me feel very suss about the game, so I stayed clear and didnt bid, solely based on my syuspicions.

I imagine that he told every other enquirer the same thing and they also felt as I did.

Funny because originally he told me he wouldnt budge under 5400 as he had 30 people interested ( or similar numbers ) ............yet when I emailed him today and mentioned he would have got more had he assisted people along the way , he says to me ( and i quote ) " i dont care what it sold for as an operator it was a dog of a machine that makes no money"

Gee - thats about 180 degrees from where he was at the start of the sale process aint it  !!@
DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
Well said Wotto. Another seller with no idea how to sell a pinny properly.

And, it goes without saying, that sited machines are always going to sell at much lower rates than a home use only machine.
Someone sees a sited machine sold for 4 grand and they think that all Pro machines are worth 4 grand, NO, Home Use Only would fetch about a grand more, if the seller knows what he is doing.  I am glad u pointed out that the machine was a sited machine, it makes a big difference.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »
Looks like ACDC Pro is finding its 2nd hand price as the games find themselves to market... be interesting to see what price it finds.
I was suprised the Brisbane one didnt attract more bids.. its ACDC bogan heaven in some parts here.. maybe they spent all expendable cash on ACDC beer and weed?

:lol
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:53:40 AM »
Ha... wasnt an attack on the beloved ACDC pinball... more a fact that as these games come to market, their 2nd hand price will be found. Wether the seller knows how to be nice or not makes no difference because at the end of the day a machine sells itself and all 2nd hand machines have their price range.
 A 2nd hand Pro isnt going to be worth $5K.. not if you can still buy new at under $6K.

As more of these machines come onto the market the price will drop.. it is now no different to any other pinball made before it, people buy, get bored with a title and flick.. simple.

One buyer makes multiple bids.. OK.. so he was prepared to pay more.. noone else in the whole of Australia was.. that says even more.

I reckon Pro ACDC will eventually end up being exchanged in the $3500-$4000 range

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »

Some of these "half a pin" pro versions are bound to drop a bit given the numbers here, I suspect the LE's etc particularly of this game will hold up well though.

What's a "half a pin" please explain??

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
some far points n questions have been raised about 2nd hand pricing, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

but a question, for arguments sake.

If a brand new in box AC/DC Pro was $5950 plus $200 delivery plus $200 shaker motor, equals $6350.

If I was to sell my AC/DC Pro, which has a shaker motor, plus the original box, and the machine is immaculate, with less than apx 700 games, wouldnt say $5,000 be a fair price, saving the buyer $1350 from new, *as an example. You cant even tell the game has been played it is that immaculate.
The very least I thought it would be worth is $4800 to $5,000.  If a sited one goes for $4,000 to $4,200, wouldnt an immaculate HUO machine be worth $600 to $800 more ?

The point is, some will say save the $1350 and buy a low usage HUO machine, others will say, nehhhh, just spend the extra $1350 and get BNIB. Others will say $5,000 is fine, others will say more like $4500.  It all depends on the week the seller is selling, and the week the buyer is buying, and if all the planets align, everyone comes out happy ! (hopefully).  %.%

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
Ha... wasnt an attack on the beloved ACDC pinball... more a fact that as these games come to market, their 2nd hand price will be found. Wether the seller knows how to be nice or not makes no difference because at the end of the day a machine sells itself and all 2nd hand machines have their price range.
 A 2nd hand Pro isnt going to be worth $5K.. not if you can still buy new at under $6K.

As more of these machines come onto the market the price will drop.. it is now no different to any other pinball made before it, people buy, get bored with a title and flick.. simple.

One buyer makes multiple bids.. OK.. so he was prepared to pay more.. noone else in the whole of Australia was.. that says even more.

I reckon Pro ACDC will eventually end up being exchanged in the $3500-$4000 range

Considering Australia has been flooded with acdc pins I reckon 3.5-4k is about right for the pro.
Some sellers still trying to sell acdc le for ridiculous prices as well and they are not selling.
The hype has run it's course for sure on this title, only a matter of time until the le and premium models are selling cheaper as well.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »

Same as a new car. As soon as you drive it out the showroom it depreciates 10-20%. The market will flood with AC/DC Pros because there were many games produced. I don't think it is a reflection of the build etc, because it is a good game. I think Stern have to seriously re think the Pro models, as in time, they will drag down the Premiums and LE models. I think the message is clear - "Entry level" is a premium or LE.

Operators can get stuffed, because I have not seen one AC/DC on location that was in working order. They all had problems.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia