Author Topic: Down down, prices are down...  (Read 7082 times)

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: Down down, prices are down...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »
Well said Wotto. Another seller with no idea how to sell a pinny properly.

And, it goes without saying, that sited machines are always going to sell at much lower rates than a home use only machine.
Someone sees a sited machine sold for 4 grand and they think that all Pro machines are worth 4 grand, NO, Home Use Only would fetch about a grand more, if the seller knows what he is doing.  I am glad u pointed out that the machine was a sited machine, it makes a big difference.

That part was conveniently left out from the OP  *%*  Along with the lack of photos and rude email replies from the seller I'm surprised it received one bid.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »
As long as the machine is in good condition and a good player it shouldn't matter if it is huo or not.
How many of those MM pinballs out there fetching insane $$$ are huo?

()
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
As was said countless times before, most of us are into pinball for the love of it and not to make a fast buck. Pinballs are just like collector cars or motor bikes.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

What's a "half a pin" please explain??

Peter

These stripped down versions -  Fine if there are some "toys" missing (non gameplay things), but this one with the whole lower playfield omitted is a big difference.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
As was said countless times before, most of us are into pinball for the love of it and not to make a fast buck. Pinballs are just like collector cars or motor bikes.

Absolutely...

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »
Have you made any analysis on the LE market trends yet. It would be interesting to see how they hold their value.

I have some data on that.

As expected there is plenty of hearsay on this but little hard evidence (some backyard deals and auctions being pulled prior to completion).

Having said that here are the numbers I have.

Buy Price from AMD for ACDC LE was 9250, and Premium was 8200 for those who need reminding.

2 BIBLE sales of 10,000 and 10,500 at the start of last year just after the LE's had landed and when the ACDC hype machine "SOLD OUT IN 3 DAYS!!!" was in overdrive. This appears to be the high water mark for actual sales rather than later repeat listings of "fishing for a sucker."

1 HUO LTBR with mirror blades sale for 8950 late last year.

1 BIBLE HUO with mirror blades, guitar mods, drum mods and bell mod for 9,500 last week.

1 Premium for 7500 late last year.

1 Premium for <7995 last month.

Some of these are word of mouth (the high water mark), some of these are ebay listings which ran their course and only attracted a single bid in the last minute, and some are pulled auctions. In the case of a pulled auction I think it is reasonable to subtract at minimum a few hundred dollars from the price I have stated in order to deduce the actual sales price (thereby avoiding the ebay fees/paypal fees/aftermarket headaches of making a sale through ebay).

As you said they seem to be "holding their value" reasonably well, but those who purchased one looking to profiteer (a quick flip for a few thousand over initial buy price) are going to have a tough row to hoe.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:32:03 PM by pinsanity »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
Have you made any analysis on the LE market trends yet. It would be interesting to see how they hold their value.

As expected there is plenty of hearsay on this but little hard evidence (some backyard deals and auctions being pulled prior to completion).

Buy Price from AMD for ACDC LE was 9250, and Premium was 8200 for those who need reminding.

2 BIBLE sales of 10,000 and 10,500 at the start of last year just after the LE's had landed and when the ACDC hype machine "SOLD OUT IN 3 DAYS!!!" was in overdrive. This appears to be the high water mark for actual sales rather than later repeat listings of "fishing for a sucker."

1 BIBLE HUO with mirror blades, guitar mods, drum mods and bell mod for 9,500 last week.

Some of these are word of mouth (the high water mark), some of these are ebay listings which ran their course and only attracted a single bid in the last minute, and some are pulled auctions. In the case of a pulled auction I think it is reasonable to subtract at minimum a few hundred dollars from the price I have stated in order to deduce the actual sales price (thereby avoiding the ebay fees/paypal fees/aftermarket headaches of making a sale through ebay).

As you said they seem to be "holding their value" reasonably well, but those who purchased one looking to profiteer (a quick flip for a few thousand over initial buy price) are going to have a tough row to hoe.

My premium (HUO) with shaker kit sold $7000 late last year.

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »
Pinballs are not investments maybe early on some flipped and made a profit but with WOZ coming the 2nd hand market will be flooded.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Pinballs are not investments maybe early on some flipped and made a profit but with WOZ coming the 2nd hand market will be flooded.

Peter

That's correct Peter. From a NIB perspective, they are the same as a new car driven out the showroom. The only exception is if you buy an LE and NEVER remove it from the box, and keep it in dry storage for 10 years. An AC/DC fan would then snap it up for $15K minimum. That is an investment, but I don't know anyone that does that for the purpose of making an investment.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »

1 Premium with shaker motor for 7000.

My premium (HUO) with shaker kit sold $7000 late last year.

Thanks MartyJ I'll add it to my data file.  &&

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »

Peter

These stripped down versions -  Fine if there are some "toys" missing (non gameplay things), but this one with the whole lower playfield omitted is a big difference.

Attack from Mars has no lower playfield, is that a stipped down pinball machine as well. ? The Pro version of AC/DC wasnt stripped of the lower playfield at all, it was never ever meant to have a lower playfield, and the Premium and LE versions simply had one added.
There is no such thing as a stripped down AC/DC Pro. It doesnt exist.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

Peter

Possibly, but my guess is that the majority of LE and Premium buyers bought with the intention of then being a keeper based on title alone

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

Peter

Attack from Mars has no lower playfield, is that a stipped down pinball machine as well. ? The Pro version of AC/DC wasnt stripped of the lower playfield at all, it was never ever meant to have a lower playfield, and the Premium and LE versions simply had one added.
There is no such thing as a stripped down AC/DC Pro. It doesnt exist.

Didn't need a lower playfield to cover atrocious cheap photoshopped art. Apples for Apples, Bally Williams didn't make stripped down pinballs - their entry level would be the same as a Premium or LE in some cases.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 12:59:34 PM »
I watch news reports and almost every financial investment program to do with the USA every night for a good 3 or 4 hours, and my take on the USA financial situation is that it will not get any better, if anything will stay the same if not get worse by a good 10 to 15 percent accross the board.

The Aussie dollar will not get worse this next 2 years minimum, if anything, the aussie dollar will get back to the $1.12 to $1.15 it was and could even get better against the greenback USA currency. It certainly wont stay anything near parity over the next 2 years. This means AMD will buy new Sterns at a good rate, so prices shld not go up in Australia if things are calculated fairly by Aus importers.

What does all this mean for both USA and Aussie economys and the pinball economy everywhere, more stormy weather, with markets still pretty flat for the next 2 years. Add together a election in Australia with Juliar Gillard getting voted out, a new government having to fix the massive defecit the Labor party has left, and it means a flat economy. Pinball prices wont be great, if anything, they will stay at the lower monies, because people are being cautious. I predict more sales of HUO titles like Tron, AC/DC, X Men, Avengers etc, because people will be doing it tough, not all, but some.
Pinball prices are just like Real Estate prices, they rise n they fall, but i believe the 2nd hand market of newer titles, both Stern and JJP will be a buyers market.   Then if u wait for the market to turn, when the USA economy, and the Aussie economy starts to get alot better, watch the prices of Stern HUO titles climb higher again etc. The market is a bit flat now, and I cant see it changing for at least 2 years.

Good time to buy, not great at all to sell.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

It has been a buyer's market for between 3-4 years now. With late model Sterns starting to appear on container supplier's lists, it won't be long before we have even more used late model Sterns. Yes - AC/DC is starting to appear in euro containers. Not a reflection on the game, it is simply that our market is thriving. Two more years of parity ? That would be great, but it won't last forever. Now is the time to be buying NIB, so if anyone sits on the fence too long, they will miss out.