Author Topic: 'Getaway' you festy possum  (Read 6039 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: 'Getaway' you festy possum
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »
Every time I see NIFTI at Coles, I buy the entire shelf - sometimes 20 bottles. It is the best pinball cleaner out there !

No wonder i keep seeing "line temporarily unavailable" where the nifty is supposed to be at our local coles  :lol

you have another big job ahead of you  :D  but i am sure it will look great when it's finished.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline greenechidna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »
Nifti and Fabulon are what the 70s smelled like, at my house anyway.
Also Rothmans King Size and Flag Ale.

One of my favorite things about wedgeheads is that wonderful Bakelite/warm copper/roasted dust smell when you open it up

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
Have done quite a bit over the last little while, a few coats of spray putty, then sand back and check for areas i might have missed a small nick or scratch, refill, sand, spray etc.  Once it was good enough, i sprayed the edges in black - so when the decals are trimmed, there is black behind them.

Installed a new base in the main cabinet once i had sprayed all the inside black.

Then spent a lot of time cleaning all the cabinet hardware, spraying all the bolt heads black, getting rid of more gunk from everywhere.

Then put most of the stuff back in the headbox, and threw the decals on (wet method).

Also put the front decal on the main cabinet, but will need some assistance to put the side decals on.

A few shots of it starting to look like a decent machine....

Also tidied up things like the lockdown bar - sprayed with a chrome paint, and installed new warning and other stickers

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
looking good Rob  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Tropicana

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
 A lot of hard work there again mate. Lot forward to next posts.  @@*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Coming along nicely Rob  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 12:02:43 AM »
Now have got all the decals installed with relative ease - still need to tidy up the corners with a sharpie or paint pen when these photos were taken

Now since there is not much info on applying decals via the wet method, i took a video of my wife and I installing them. Now this is how it works for me, i'm no expert, so happy to take suggestions from others.  Hmmm sad to see how little hair i have at 35 - but the wife is looking great at 30 weeks pregnant!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
Great work Rob & assistant

Thanks for the video, that helps me heaps for when I do mine.

a few questions:
- I missed if there was anything added to the water to spray on detergent or metho ???
- do you leave the time period in between the application and trimming ?

again great to see a vid and thanks for the time to share wiuth us.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Jady - I put a squirt of detergent in the water.

I reckon it makes sense to trim straight away as it will make sure you can squeeze the water out again after you trim. Don't really know if it makes a difference but at least you can trim straight away then leave it for a day or two

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
Well i got sick of it not being finished and hooked in over the last couple of weeks - a bit hard to remember as i didn't document heaps or take a heap of photos.  But pretty much in terms of stripping and cleaning, got the playfield bare, spent a while with Nifti, shellite and magic eraser getting rid of all the filth such as below

Then cleaned all the bits and pieces, rebuild flippers etc.  A lot of the mechanisms (particularly the ramp lifter at the back had grease applied at some stage, and were almost completely seized with dry grease - so plenty of time getting rid of this and leaving things unlubricated as they should be.

Spent a lot of time on the boards, making sure everything was right.

Ended up blowing the 602 Fuse after a while on the display driver board - turned out to be the DMD being faulty - so in went a brand new one!

Also could not get sound at all out of the machine - after a lot of searching and frustrations, it turned out to be the connector on the cabinet speaker was corroded/filled with gunk so much that it wasn't making a connection - so the signal wasn't getting around the circuit.  So put a new connector in, plus a new cabinet speaker.  After that, i was getting a crackling/distorted sound, so put another sound board in from one of the other project machines, and got some impressive fireballs from the tantalum capacitors - C21, C26-C29, C46 and C47 -  after i replaced all them, i got full volume with no ability to turn it down! Replaced C18 and it was all good.

Also had a dead TIP102 transistor on the power driver board that was not allowing the trough coil to fire a ball - replaced the TIP102 and its pre-driver transistor, and works perfectly.

Cleaned the whole wiring loom with Nifty, and put new flexi coil on most of the wiring and tidied it all up a lot better. 

I also painted the supercharger cover in chrome paint which made a huge difference

Also made up a new laminated cover for the ball launcher

After that, put most of the cab bot together

Then got the playfield half back together before putting back into the machine (so i could test switches etc as i installed them)

At this stage when i put the supercharger ramp in, i was getting an opto error with two of the optos, traced the issue to the opto driver board, and put a new LM339 chip in to sort it out and all worked sweet.  Its much easier to test things as you rebuild it, rather than find an issue, then have to pull things half to pieces just to access it!

Then spent some time playing with LEDs to get a decent effect - ended up with a combo of mainly greens and whites in the GI, as well as some reds - again, easy to experiment with the playfield partially rebuilt

Then pretty much all came together well from there

After that, time for the first game - and managed to get redline mania on ball 1! So pretty happy with that.

Game plays very fast, sounds great and flippers are great with all new components

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
WOW!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »
Better than new. Well done Rob.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
VERY nice... well done bringing it back from the dead  @@* @@* @@* @@*

I just had a look at the pics at the start of the thread, before anything was done.. hard to believe its the same machine!!

Offline Tropicana

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
Unreal mate. Great job!
 $#$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »

Congratulations!

With all the talk about people wanting a Zombie themed machine, I think you should point to this one - very much back from the dead!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”