Author Topic: 'Getaway' you festy possum  (Read 6042 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
'Getaway' you festy possum
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
Well now that Fishtales is done and being enjoyed by a new owner, its time to move on to the next possum pin (see http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9757.msg126624#msg126624for details of the find)

Originally when i looked at this machine once i got it home, i thought the cabinet was totally stuffed....maybe it is in most other's opinion, but the sides are very sturdy with only a few small chunks and scrapes, its the MDF base and chipboard back of the headbox that have made it look so bad (plus the inch of possum crap and urine....).  So the plan is to bog up the dings in the sides, and replace the base and rear panel.  A possum had actually chewed through the base of this machine and quite possibly had a possum rave party inside, as there are chunks of the base spread through the whole cabinet....

A few pics that tell most of the story

Note the bowed base

As with Fishtales, the playfield is reasonably good - no wear, just filthy

Has some serious issues here

Note secret possum entrance hole on the left side of the base

As with the previous machines, i was a bit nervous about the electronics, so only had the transformer wired up, and straight away blew the main fuse in the machine.  Replaced the line filter, and it fired up no worries.

Tested all the outputs of the transformer, and they were all good.

I then connected the boards up (after cleaning some minor corrosion on the CPU and installing a remote battery pack) and fired it up.  Solid 5.03V, and 12V which is great!  CPU boots no worries, display board needs some work on the high voltage section as the difference between the two outputs is too great (should be 12V difference, but this one is -96V and -122V), so will look at that later.  I'm getting no sound at all from the machine.  Sound board has correct input and output voltages, speakers are not blown (tested with a 9V battery and got them to pull in), so is probably a wiring issue somewhere that will be easier to track down once clean.

Since the machine is 80% working (a couple of solenoids won't fire, put you can start a game and most switches test OK), i hooked straight into the stripping process.

Picture of the base of the cab partially stripped

Close up of the 'seedy end of town'....

With absolutely everything out of the cab and siderails removed, i started stripping the cabinet decals.  I've found that the best way seems to be peeling the decals off by hand - with a scraper to help start.  This way, all the adhesive comes off.  If you use a heatgun, the adhesive remains, and it take longer and is more work getting rid of it all.  That said, its still a slow process.  The side pictured below took me about 45 mins to get what you can see done.  Note how the original decal outline has transferred to the cabinet!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: 'Getaway' you festy possum
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
I have no doubt that u will make this machine a pearler again. Look forward to this thread, as do alot of other members I am sure.

Its amazing the possum didnt chew a thousand wires on the underside of the playfield. In a way u are lucky there was a possum to scare away the rats, cause the rats would have chewed every siingle wire for sure.

It must be chineese year of the possum !  %.%  It certainly has been good luck for you Rob.

A big congrats in advance on what will be a great resto !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »
Hi Rob
Im really enjoying your post and seeing great results    Who ever got F?T would have a nice game.       I hope your wearing gloves while cleaning up the possum crap :lol 

Looking fwd to the rest of your post               Howzat         

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
Great effort bringing these machines back to life Rob. Good luck with your latest project.  ^^^
Looking forward to your next updates.  *%*

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
Great to see your restorations, these machines are in need of some serious loving  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
That will be a challenge for you Rob. But given your efforts on Fishtales, I think you will have similar results  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

Gee, that will be a big job, but we've seen you are up to it with FS. I can imagine the possum stench - had a few in the roof at my last house - not pleasant!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
Another awesome project there Rob. !
You know you set the bar with Fishtales don't you  :lol

Looking forward to seeing how you progress with this one  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
As others have said, thanks for sharing this adventure.

Love to know the backgournd of the chap you bought them off - why did he have to many machines in the first place, and why over on Maggie Island?

Lived in T'ville myself many years ago - maybe I played them when they were happier.

keep up the great work. #*#

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Dendoc - the bloke used to have them in a Cafe on the Island, then put them in a shed (one end open) and they sat there stacked on top of one another for about 7 or 8 years from what i can gather - attracting moisture, rodents, possums and all sorts of other nasties!  He had ideas of getting them going, but i doubt he would have.  All the machines so far have problems in the 240V section, most boards have issues and you can see the resto work that needs doing!

Have put quite a few hours in today and afternoons the last week.  Finished stripping the cabinet decals and headbox.  Knocked the base out as it was all swollen, as was the rear of the headbox

The first job was to clean up the possum mess and crud.  While it looks disgusting, its not that hard to remove with the right stuff.  First hit was with orange stain remover, let it sit for a few minutes, then used a cabinet scraper (in the left of photo) to scrape the bulk up.

After this, i then sprayed it with Nifti, and then wiped off with a rag.  Honestly, Nifti is one of the best cleaners i have ever come across - the area in front of the bottle is what the rest was like before spraying with Nifti and wiping off!

Then went to work with builders bog.

There was a lot of areas where the cabinet was delaminating - just a few mm on the bottom edge, so its no point going to the effort of doing work and leaving stuff that will get worse in time to come.  So i chipped back the areas where it was delaminating, then filled with bog, and sanded.  Its a fairly time consuming process as i never seem to get it all done in one or two batches.  The stuff goes of very quickly (normally within a few minutes its not really workable), so it means you have to go quick, but the beauty is that it can be sanded within 30 mins (20 mins if you add a bit more hardener).  I use a round random orbital sander and it makes life a lot easier than the old 1/3 sheet rectangular one i had, due to the fact this one rotates as well as vibrates - makes things heaps quicker. I used 80 grit paper to level the bog, then 120 and 240.

A couple of shots of the cabinet and headbox, all sanded and bogged and ready to be hit with spray putty.  I use this to fill in any wood grain or small dings that get missed with the builders bog.  Talking to a bloke in the paint shop, he reckons its probably overkill, and i could get away with a cheaper (and easier to use) car primier undercoat that has reasonable build properties, but i've got 4L of spray putty, so will use it first, then try the other stuff with later machines.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
As many have said, amazing find and story.

Thanks for taking the time to share Rob. ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
Wow what a mess good to see your saving it

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 01:14:40 AM »
Great that you are restoring this.
Most people would have written it off for parts or just junked it.

Getaway is one of my favourite games, so I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
Love your patience, well done. On this, FT and AF ^^^
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
I remember when I was a child - School holidays were spent cleaning pinball machines as they were brought in and reconditioned for their next route. This was around 1975-76. NIFTI was sprayed liberally on the cabinet and an old paint brush was used to scrub the dirt and grime. Every time I see NIFTI at Coles, I buy the entire shelf - sometimes 20 bottles. It is the best pinball cleaner out there !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia