Author Topic: Funhouse Main Ramp Anti-Jump Fix  (Read 5034 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Funhouse Main Ramp Anti-Jump Fix
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:09:28 AM »
One problem with FH is the tendency for the ball to bounce when it travels across the metal flap, and hit the wire form gate above, deflecting the ball back out. Traditional wisdom is to slide a bit of card in there. I did this originally, but found it came loose. A bit of glue might have helped. When doing a swap for a new IPB repro playfield, I decided to add a new Pinball inc. ramp (thanks Greg!) and this is thicker, better plastic but seemed to guarantee that the bounce would be worse. Its caused by the ball bending the flap as it travels over it, and being spring steel, the ball gets shot upwards into the wire form.

So - my anti-jump main ramp entry solution (which actually and surprisingly being my idea seems to work really well!).

Take one skinny "animal shape maker" balloon. Use an orange one and it looks perfect.

Cut it to an inch or so longer than the width of the entry.

Add some form of funnel to the cut off balloon.

Mix some epoxy, and pour in maybe 3 mils??? Just enough to leave you able to tie the end and it is not "full', ie lots of give space available.

Put it in the gap, screw down the front entry flap and position as if complete (all other screws etc).

The pressure of fixing it in place forced the epoxy filled balloon into the exact shape needed to remove the flex inherent in the design that causes the jump.

Leave a few hours to really set.

Snip off the tied up end.

Install Cliffy protectors (mandatory step!!!!!!!)

Never have a bounce again, and the shape of the formed piece means it never moves, so is a permanent fix but just loose due to the balloon so everything can be removed in future for maintenance.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Funhouse Main Ramp Anti-Jump Fix
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:22:45 AM »
Neat fix Nick

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »
Top stuff Nick. Thanks for that!

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »
Cool idea.  When I had mine the way I fixed it was grinding down the plastic on the bottom of the ramp under the flap.  The thicker ramps from James rock because they don't break.  The one on funhouse needs a bit of a shave though.  Or your shim ;-)

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »
Cool idea.  When I had mine the way I fixed it was grinding down the plastic on the bottom of the ramp under the flap.  The thicker ramps from James rock because they don't break.  The one on funhouse needs a bit of a shave though.  Or your shim ;-)

That's exactly what we've been testing.  We ended up grinding all our Banzai Run ramps because those were just too thick and the flap could not sit flat unless we grinded them.  With FH the flap does sit flat but as described the flap gives.  It is remarkable that this issue took over 3 years before someone brought it to our attention.  So 6 months ago when we found out about the issue we looked at two possible fixes, one is go to with a thicker flap or two is to grind the bottom of the ramps.  With the thicker flap we are concerned that the ball will jump on the entrance lip of the flap.  The other issue with the thicker flap is the thicker metal has a different look than the thinner metal.
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »
so i spose whats really left, is what sorta name are we going to give this piece of mastery....  <.>
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:29:42 PM »
Pinnies4me's anti jump Funhouse condom ???
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »
Pinnies4me's anti jump Funhouse condom ???

"Funhouse Franger"  *)*

Offline Mickey Juice

• Forum Posts:
  • BLAU!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
*bump*
Got any fixes for the left hand plunger ie ball only makes it halfway up the ramp after bouncing off the ramp walls... annoys the sh*t out of me.

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
*bump*
Got any fixes for the left hand plunger ie ball only makes it halfway up the ramp after bouncing off the ramp walls... annoys the sh*t out of me.

This is a tricky one.  It has to do with a whole bunch of things.  First thing to figure out is exactly where it's catching.  I moved the shooter, changed the rubber in the lane to the right.  I did fix it but honestly I can't remember exactly what I did.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »
I found that when I changed the rubber on the post to the yellow ones as I did for the rest of the game, I had this issue. Went back to black and it went away. I wonder if you can adjust the shooter rod angle/position slightly as Chuck says to fix?

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »
For those that may be interested we now have the thicker flap for the FH main ramp.  It should cut down the ball jumps.  If you need one message me and I'll be glad to post one to you. 

Cheers,
James
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
Nice offer James! I won't need one due to my Funhouse Franger but I'm sure others will benefit.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
*bump*

Who's ramp is this  Micky
the original WMS
the Pinball Inc ramp 
or the one from TPF

as i'd be interested to chronical which fix goes with whos ramp
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:46:43 PM by Greg »
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mickey Juice

• Forum Posts:
  • BLAU!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
Who's ramp is this  Micky
the original WMS
the Pinball Inc ramp 
or the one from TPF

as i'd be interested to chronical which fix goes with whos ramp

Hmm, I got it off Wayno in '07 so not sure who made those repros.
I've tried moving the plunger around (by loosening the screws on the mounting plate) but it never hits the ball dead on.
I've also read that if the PF isn't levelled correctly, it can 'twist' and cause problems that side.
Tho I think the majority of FH's have this problem