Author Topic: How Long do U leave your machines on ?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
How Long do U leave your machines on ?
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
I wanted to ask you guys how long u leave your games on for ?  !@#

Do u only turn them on for a game and turn them straight off after the game, or do u turn the game on and like the look of it, and then also leave it on for a while after u have finished.

Sometimes I like to turn my games on first thing in the morning, and have a few lit up most of the day so when I/we looks over that way, I gets to see the machines all lit up in their glory !  (I did a few electrical tests on various brand new Sterns and 1990's DMD machines, and it worked out to only 6 cents per hour to have a machine on in Australia (QLD pricing thru Origin Energy) so I am sure it is similar accross Australia).

I wondered if it might be a good idea with a brand new machine to see if it does anything bad during extended periods of being left on, just incase there is something a bit dicky, something to claim on warranty whilst its still very new etc, since home use only machines get minimal use ?, same goes for a older but new EM or SS addition i guess as well.....

!@#  How long do u leave your games on for ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:33:26 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: How Long do U leave your machines on ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »
Just turn mine on for play and then turn off. The older machines get hot with standard globes and the backglass artwork would suffer from heat. For example the reds in my Flash are cracked from the heat (common for this machine).
I checked the power consumption of ACDC and it is 100-140 watts so the new machines with LED lighting are economical to run.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 01:02:03 AM »
Same here , I rotate my games, switch It on of an hour or so and have a couple of games. I dont like leaving my older games like Flash, and Black Knight on for too long as to protect the back glass from flaking and stress on the driver boards.

In recent times the reds on my FLASH back glass has started to flake to the point that you can see the globes through the glass   !!!
Same with my DMD games I have them on for about two hours and then switch them off to preserve the boards and to stop heat build up.

I no pinball machines where designed to stay on for long periods of time in pinball parlors but I gusess I am a bit fussy with my games..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:04:13 AM by PinPal »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »
Are you guys using No. 47 globes in your machines or better still LEDs in the backbox?  These globes run cooler and use less power than the original No. 44's.

I also remove alot of the globes in the backbox and selectively choose where I put the globes so as to still light up the backglass nicely or emphasize certain areas without the need to run every single globe.

Oh, in answer to the original post, I don't leave my machines on just for the sake of it. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
My games are generally only switched on when they are being played, and turned off when not in use. To save on the electricity bill and for the longevity of the machines themselves.

Occasionally though i'll switch them all on just to look at and admire them all lit up  :D

Some of my games still have the original globes in them that they had when i bought them (the yet to be restored games), i'll usually remove a few from behind the backglass to cut down the heat and to put less stress on connectors.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:11:08 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Turn on have game then turn off.

Peter ^^^

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
It depends if I have people over or not.
When I know I'll have guests, I turn them all on so they know they're all available to play.
I found that if they're off people are less inclined to have a game.
I guess it's more inviting when the attract lighting is on. *%*
When it's just me, I switch them off straight after I've finished a game.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline MPE

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Re: How Long do U leave your machines on ?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Switch off at the wall or the switch under the cabinet?
Resistance is futile

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
Switch off at the wall or the switch under the cabinet?

Under cab only-all are plugged in at walk with a serge protector :-)

Peter

Offline jimagram

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »
I get told off by my 4 year olds if I have a game, and leave the machine/s turned on, so they normally get turned off straight away.

That said, I do like leaving them on of a night for all the pretty lights and attract mode. :)

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
I turn them on to play (obviously), but have trouble turning them off. It's some weird thing I have where they look so pretty after a game, I just like to bask in the afterglow a little. Tend to go and turn them off just prior to going to be though as the whole house tends to be a little illuminated if I leave even one on.

I read it's not as good to turn computers on an off too much as things heat up and cool down too often. I'm wonderign if I should leave revenge from mars on more than I do? Wish I had a nucore..................any offers to sell?

Under cab only-all are plugged in at walk with a serge protector :-)

Peter
[/quote]

Where has the spell checker gone??? !*!

Offline Hashman

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • SKW Corporation
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
Im with dendoc. I find it really hard to turn them off and often stand around swilling beer just staring at them. They look so beautiful and i love them. <3

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
I like staring at them too but I have learnt to do this as the exception than the rule. I left my ToM on for a couple of hours and while dining outside I could see it through the window and all the backglass lights were out. Had a look and the pcb fried right at the fuse and burnt through the plastic. Can't remember what happened to the fuse but it melted to a point that enabled it not to blow and rather let the plastic around it disintegrate. There is a thread somewhere here with a photo of it.

So I'm not a huge fan of leaving games on for the sake of it. Only special occasions now
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »
Actually, by leaving that machine on, it did u a favour, it showed a problem, and thus, may have saved u a fire or something had u have left it on while ducking down the shops for a hour or two.

I like to leave the machines on for a good 8 hrs straight every now and again to put them thru their paces etc, plus some games. I want them to show me problems if any, so i can then sort them out.

I often will get my kids and their friends to play a machine, or machines , flat out for a couple of hours, game after game after game, so if there is anything wrong, it will show up and i can fix it.

Given that these machines were once upon a time, always left on, I like to make the machines prove themselves, 2nd hand machines anyway.
I have started doing the same things to brand new Sterns, playing them flat out for a good hour, leaving the machine on for a whole day so i can put it thru its paces and prove all is A.O.K.    So far, no hassles really with any of them.

Also, its agood way to see if a bulb is out etc, but if you turn them off so quickly, you never can really tell. Just my way of doing things anyway.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
Agree somewhat. A lot of people say these things were designed to be on 24/7, well I used to run 8kms a day and every second day do weights. Mate I'm lucky to do 4kms every other day and recently I haven't exercised for 8 weeks. So my point is things age and what they were capable once upon a time is not relevant now.

So unless the game is restored fully to new I'd be a little hesitant in thinking you can leave them on and not expect things to be under stress  !@#
Still loving my Metallica Premium