Author Topic: TZ Powerball  (Read 672 times)

Offline felixthadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
TZ Powerball
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
Hey guys & gals,

What is the deal with the TZ Powerball? I bought a new powerball from Wayne recently but it is not what I expected. I always thought that the powerball was lighter and smaller than a standard pinball, but the one I bought feels the same as a standard pinball and is the same size. I called Wayne to ask him about it and he said that all TZ powerballs are now manufactured by a Japanese company based in the US so everybody is buying the same powerball as the one I bought. However, he did mention that back when the TZs were being manufactured, there was a revision of the TZ powerball and that this revision might have come about due to customer complaints about the weight and/or size of the original powerball. Can anybody confirm or deny this statement, or know anything more about the TZ powerball?  !@#

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: TZ Powerball
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
Well, you can find replacements for the lighter ones on eBay, being made new (actually, I reckon this guy had a big box of them made up and he is still selling from that box):-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Twilight-Zone-Pinball-POWER-BALL-new-SALE-$35-powerball_W0QQitemZ140303421474QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090223?IMSfp=TL090223131012r30698

Depends on how much you want to pay, I guess.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »
Further to this, MarkC has them on his spare parts website, but not in stock - it would be interesting to hear what he has to say about whether the ones he sources are lighter or not. But I think he might be up at the Gold Coast, so you might have to wait for a response (a week or so).

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
Well, you can find replacements for the lighter ones on eBay, being made new (actually, I reckon this guy had a big box of them made up and he is still selling from that box):-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Twilight-Zone-Pinball-POWER-BALL-new-SALE-$35-powerball_W0QQitemZ140303421474QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090223?IMSfp=TL090223131012r30698

Well according to Wayne, the part number for the powerball that he sold me is 20-9809, which is exactly the same part number listed in that eBay auction. As stated in the listing, "This ball is produced to the exact same specifications, weight and size as the original and will last just as long as an original one" but that still doesn't tell me whether the "original" powerball referred to is actually 20-9809 or 20-9809-1. Since the eBay ad is for a replacement, I think it is more likely to be the same ball that I have rather than the lighter, smaller one I am looking for.

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:48 PM »

Well according to Wayne, the part number for the powerball that he sold me is 20-9809, which is exactly the same part number listed in that eBay auction. As stated in the listing, "This ball is produced to the exact same specifications, weight and size as the original and will last just as long as an original one" but that still doesn't tell me whether the "original" powerball referred to is actually 20-9809 or 20-9809-1. Since the eBay ad is for a replacement, I think it is more likely to be the same ball that I have rather than the lighter, smaller one I am looking for.

Matthew

Have you weighed the powerball and a normal pinball? The powerball should be about 20% lighter. The eBay ad highlighted above does mention that the product being sold: "is a specially made ceramic ball that is lighter than the regular steel balls." So you would need to know whether the powerball you have purchased is lighter or not. I haven't read anywhere that states the powerball is smaller.

Pinball Life (http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1293&parent=49):

> White zirconia ceramic "Power Ball" used in Bally's Twilight Zone pinball machine.
>
> New production bright white pearlescent color (as original).  Conforms to the original size and weight specifications: size - 1-1/16" diameter, weight - 65 grams.
>
> Bally reference #20-9809.

Normal pinball is around 81 grams.

See also http://www.marcospecialties.com/storeitems.asp?cc=PFLD-PINBALLS - it says the same thing.

I couldn't find any matches for 20-9809-1

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:09:19 AM »
When I had my TZ I can say for certain that it was the same size, but maybe 2/3rds the weight - that's why the thing goes crazy when in play. KTM450 has a TZ at the moment (as I'm sure some others do) - can someone take theirs out and weigh and measure it (assuming it's an original ceramic one).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:33:02 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 01:53:34 AM »
Is their a chance that some operators or sellers used smaller ceramic powerballs because they couldn't find a proper replacement?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Is their a chance that some operators or sellers used smaller ceramic powerballs because they couldn't find a proper replacement?

Could be - come on, there's 12 TZ's among our ranks - anyone measure and weighed theirs yet?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »

Could be - come on, there's 12 TZ's among our ranks - anyone measure and weighed theirs yet?

I didn't get much sleep last night, but that reads just WRONG!...   @@*

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
When I had my TZ I can say for certain that it was the same size, but maybe 2/3rds the weight - that's why the thing goes crazy when in play. KTM450 has a TZ at the moment (as I'm sure some others do) - can someone take theirs out and weigh and measure it (assuming it's an original ceramic one).

I'll weigh my powerball when I get a chance, working the next few days  @.@

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
if I'm part of the count, I can't help seeing I got a replacement as part of the purchase deal so I wouldn't know any different as mine cannot be original. Sorry.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
if I'm part of the count, I can't help seeing I got a replacement as part of the purchase deal so I wouldn't know any different as mine cannot be original. Sorry.

Nevertheless, you can still weigh the powerball and a normal pinball to see if the replacement weighs the same or not! Go on, you know you want to.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
I hated the powerball in the TZ I had...I didnt think It was a good add on to the game at all...mind you I didnt like the machine much at all anyway....But dont get me wrong..I can see why people love it....just not for me..
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
I hated the powerball in the TZ I had...I didnt think It was a good add on to the game at all...mind you I didnt like the machine much at all anyway....But dont get me wrong..I can see why people love it....just not for me..

Did you ever weigh it by any chance?

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 03:17:16 AM »
I bought a couple of the ones from the eBay guy a while back for my game.
Firstly, the guy is a good and reputable seller. The balls are very nice quality.

Second, the balls are the same size, but DEFINITELY lighter than a steel ball. The play is much faster because of it. It's not a thing where you'd have to compare back & forth to tell the difference - it's very obvious. Holding the ball, it feels pretty heavy, but then you pick up a steel ball and you can feel that the steel is heavier.

I think if you try it in a game (doesn't have to be a TZ, any game will do) you will notice the obvious speed difference and probably enjoy the temporary change of pace and challenge. It takes a whole different timing to play the ceramic ball so things get all shook up, which was the original idea.

The only "revision" of the powerball that I've heard of is the color. They originally made a blue one I think, but it was too hard to see so they went with white.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.