Author Topic: Double new Pin day  (Read 2237 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
Double new Pin day
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »
All Pins should come with a warning: "Buyer Beware - these machines may breed" &&

As with most, it started by me buying 'just one' which I did at the beginning of last year (DE Tommy). It didn't take long for me want to get another (Getaway HSII),.... and another (WH20 - project), and,..... and now two more.....

On holidays in January this year I was at an arcade near where we were staying and was playing the only two pins in the place. It was sad that out of the 40 or so machines, that only two were pins - but I was happy that they even had some.

I had played them the year before and noticed that they hadn't really changed much in the 12 months since I last saw them. They both had the customary dicky flippers, a layer of quality black grime on the PF, the odd missing and broken plastics, and one of them still was missing the rubber tip from the shooter - which I must say makes an interesting sound when it hits a ball.

Anyhoo - I later decided to shoot the owners an e-mail later asking if they wanted to sell one of them - The Twilight Zone. I got a response saying that they weren't interested in selling it, but maybe check back with them later in the year.

Last week out of the blue I got an email from them asking if I was still interested in the Twilight Zone, which I quickly replied I was - depending on the price. The next e-mail they sent asked if I was interested in taking the other pin as well, a DE Jurassic Park, as they would probably do a deal for both, and if so - make them an offer. I think I waited about 24 hours before I sent them an offer - which I must add, was approved and endorsed by the missus beforehand.

The end result was a good result for all, 2 x pins for me, 2 x slow money earners moved on for them, and a wife who has me over a barrel for the next 12 months %.%

So yesterday morning at 5.00am, my 10yr old daughter and I set off for the 3 hour drive to the coast to pick them up. By 2.00pm they were both back and set up in my garage man-cave. #*#

Twilight Zone:

Pros

• Main PF looks to have minimal wear, from what I can see and feel through the black grime
  • Translight is nice and clean, with nice colours
  • Cabinet is solid and in good condition 7/10
  • Clock works - but the lights don't
  • Gumball machine works
  • It actually has a Powerball
  • Came with the original manual

Cons

• DMD has some out-gassing, and burn-in which appears to be from a different game
  • Legs were mounted using upper two bolt holes - making it very low, and decal marks visible when using lower holes.
  • Some broken plastics
  • Some fine planking on mini PF
  • Upper left flipper not working, Upper right weak
  • Most things need to be tightened and adjusted
  • Need new rubbers throughout
  • Needs a good clean!

Jurassic Park:

Pros

• Cabinet is in reasonable condition - 7/10
  • PF appears in good condition, but has some wear on the 'Bunker' and Control Room' holes
  • T-Rex is works - needs adjusting
  • Translight is good

Cons

• Background sound dropping out, or looping - maybe a loose connection, chip issue
  • T-Rex - doesn't move in game, but does in test mode, however both left and right flipper buttons make it move the same way. Might be a switch problem
  • Intermittent lower left flipper. Button registers in test mode – so maybe a coil power issue.
  • Missing some plastics
  • Topper is missing
  • Needs new rubbers / flipper bats
  • Needs a clean!

Overall I'm happy with them both, and no doubt will have more odds jobs to do here and there. I've still got a WH20 in a million bits and really must start putting it back together, but there was that mention of maybe one more pin for sale from there guys…….

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Double new Pin day
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »

Well done!!

I have just finished my JP clean up, and I am finding it (so far) to be an exceptional game.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
Nice pickup there
though I would think this purchace will make your wife happy
you will spend hours cleaning up these games and then more hours playing them. thereby keeping you out of her house ;)

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
Great pickup. Twilight Zone will be my next machine when I get the funds.

Enjoy them and thanks for sharing.  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
Two great titles. I have fond memories if jp and have come close to buying. Well done mate
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Well done, their great games, I'm sure you'll get a lot of joy out of them.  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Well done, both great games, look forward to the restos

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
Nice pickup. Enjoy

Offline Hashman

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • SKW Corporation
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
My JP developed the missing background sounds the other day. Reseated the ribbon cables to the sound board and touch wood it seems to have dissapeared. JP is so addictive. Love it.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
My JP developed the missing background sounds the other day. Reseated the ribbon cables to the sound board and touch wood it seems to have dissapeared. JP is so addictive. Love it.

After a bit of fiddling I found that the left / right movement of T-Rex seemed to be causing the issue. It would sometimes move smoothly from left to right, but then it would jam hard at the left hand side (looking from the front) and the motor / gearbox would make some labouring noises and the T-Rex sound would loop. In test mode, both the left and right flipper buttons would make it move to the left !@#

I disabled the left to right movements for T-Rex for the moment and it seems to have stopped the sound looping. I have a sneaking suspsicion that getting T-Rex to move properly make take a bit more work though. Now instead of swallowing the ball, he spits it out @.@

I also managed to fix the lower left flipper issue which was an EOS switch with bad contacts. The upper right flipper is suffering from the Data East fuse clip problem, so I'll have to get me some fuse clips and change them all over.

At least the kids can play it now, which means I can tackle the other things at my leisure.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
JP is definitely a great game.

As far as the dinosaur goes, have you got the latest version of the software installed?

There were known problems with the dinosaur moving too fast, in earlier versions, which causes the gearbox on the L/R motor to fail.

Very common problem and main reason for the final update!

Also the switches below the PF can be adjusted slightly if required.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Must admit, I haven't checked the software version yet.... "add that to list!"

I resoldered some target wires the other day, and for about 5 minutes T-Rex moved perfectly back and forth, but then got stuck again. It could a dicky limit switch as even though it has pressed the switch lever, it just wanted to keep going. I'll swap them around and see if the jamming issue moves with it. I'm not too confident that that is the problem, as in the diagnostic mode the limit switches when activated do show up on the screen. !@#