Author Topic: Sound Issues - Time Warp  (Read 733 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Sound Issues - Time Warp
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »
Guys,

I recently got my hands on a Time Warp machine.  The background hum that increases it's pitch as you progress through the game is not there and occasionally I just get a nasty buzz instead.  Any idea what I am looking at to get the sound up and running properly again, chip, caps, connectors or all of the above?

Thanks.

Addicted to pins.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Sound Issues - Time Warp
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
Try reseating the game rom.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »
Tricky sound board. There's a couple of things to check in addition to Daniel's advise ;

There is a red switch that changes the mode of the board - flick it a few times as they sometimes play up with load hums and screeches. Check the voltages at the board as well.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »
I have read Williams repair manual. some suggestions to try . 1 make sure sound board properly earthed. 2 could try changing sb resistor R18 from 22o ohm to 100 ohm . it says this resistor controls neg feedback to the TDA2002 but also it will reduce overall volume level. but the above only applies to sys 3/4 type 1 sound boards. On type 2 Sb check the TDA2002 for cracked solder joints . These are just some things that you could check depending on the type of SB but worth a try
One-Ball!

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
Thanks.  I tried re-seating the sound eprom but i havent tried the game eprom.  I have flicked that red lever once or twice and i will give it a few more flicks tomorrow.  Sound board should be grounded ok, i added a few screws to it today.  I will have a look at the other ideas as well tomorrow.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
Update - I have re-seated all the socketed chips, re-flowed a stack of dry joints, flicked the red lever a few more times but still no good.  There are a few extra sounds working now but the background pulse or hum is still U/S.

The Pinrepair guides talk about replacing a chip, either a 6810 or 6821 chip.  Has anyone had any success replacing this chip?  Also when I try to run the sound test it doesn't cycle through the various sounds, it just seems to hang on the first sound which doesn't sound right anyway - it is more of a buzz and not the correct background pulse/hum that TW has.
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »
I'll take it off your hands for $100 when I up your way in a few weeks :-) thats what mates are for lol..

Peter

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »
I'll take it off your hands for $100 when I up your way in a few weeks :-) thats what mates are for lol..

Peter

What's that, the sound board?  I will let you have it for $90 seeing as it may have some issues.  As you said, that's what mates are for.  Haha.
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
Lol

Offline yourdreamin

• Forum Posts:
  • barrack point
  • how much are your askin
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »
Guys,

I recently got my hands on a Time Warp machine.  The background hum that increases it's pitch as you progress through the game is not there and occasionally I just get a nasty buzz instead.  Any idea what I am looking at to get the sound up and running properly again, chip, caps, connectors or all of the above?

Thanks.

ya didn't buy the home and away pin  :D

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
Just remarried Blair my brothers time warp soundboard had an issue with the background noise if the ball isn't launched into the shooter lane first try the background sound fails to run never did work that one out.   

It won't hurt to try replacing the pia 6821 as that plays a major part in what the board does.  There are 3 of these chips on the driver board if there socketed just swap em over but keep your finger on the power switch incase a coil gets locked on from the faulty sound pia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »
Thanks Dan, I will have a look.  I am not sure if they are socketed or not.

Did you ever do any good with a top arch for CE?  %$%
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »

Just remarried Blair my brothers time warp soundboard had an issue with the background noise if the ball isn't launched into the shooter lane first try the background sound fails to run never did work that one out.   

That's a documented software bug - mine's the same, if the ball drops back (ie registers as served but in effect returns to the centre switch) the game stops the background sound.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

That's a documented software bug - mine's the same, if the ball drops back (ie registers as served but in effect returns to the centre switch) the game stops the background sound.

Yep mine did that too :-)

Peter

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
 &^&
Thanks Dan, I will have a look.  I am not sure if they are socketed or not.

Did you ever do any good with a top arch for CE?  %$%

Sorry Blair captain useless forgot ill try remember to look tomorrow night