Author Topic: WILLIAMS SPACE MISSION RESTORE  (Read 528 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
WILLIAMS SPACE MISSION RESTORE
« on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:07 PM »
Here is a Pinball which was going to be a keeper for me as it has a story.    When i was about 8-10 i was in a second hand furniture shop with my Mum and spotted a space mission pinball tucked away up the back but tightass mum wouldn't buy it for me?  So when i seen this space mission at Marks i just had to have it and i gave my old lady heaps.

It had terribly stained Mylar and the score reels were stuffed and the backbox was brocken and missing pieces as can be seen in the first few pics.

Again ive lost more pics of this rebuild also so ill try piece it together with what i have

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: WILLIAMS SPACE MISSION RESTORE
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »
The score reels were really terrible once i had wiped them there was no numbers on them at all.   I was lucky that one reel was in really good condition so i used that to make up some stickers for the other reels.

To do this i cleaned up the reel as best i could and then removed it from the mech.
I set up our scanner and held the reel on the glass and hit scan as the light bar moved down the glass i tried to roll the reel down holding it as straight as i could till i got a good scan of the whole reel.   After about 3 hours of trying i used the best scans i had and cut and pasted them into one good scan.  Then i printed them onto some white gloss sticker paper and stuck them onto the new reels.   They are not perfect but better than having none at all.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
The playfield had a Mylar on it that had gone brown so it had to be removed. There was also some wear in places and the dodgy reels which helped me decide to sell it a guy wanted one for his wife for xmas this was a week before so i told him a stupid price and he said yes. It didnt get the full treatment just a good clean which came back to haunt me as i didnt rebuild the steppers so sure enough boxing day and the damn thing locked up grrrrrr  But he was a nice bloke and was nice about it so i went over and rebuilt them there. Havnt had a problem since.

Check the color of that mylar YUCK

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:44:49 PM »
Once the mylar and glue was removed it came up ok even the glue was a brown color not sure if it was frem smokers or just crap mylar but it was horrible and took hours of work to remove just the mylar then the glue took even longer

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »
Gee that came up well mate - really like the way you made those decals for the score reels - they look awesome, well done.  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
Because of the short deadline i left the wear in the playfield which he was fine with so long as he got it before xmas.  I didnt get time to fix all the light sockets before delivery but after a few weeks he asked if i could come out and fix a few dead light so while i was there i soldered and cleaned every light socket.  He was stunned to see how much work goes into these machines.  But the scotch was good and i was fixing a pinball so i was happy to spend the afternoon working on it

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »

Nice work Daniel - you sure love your EMs !

$#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »

nice work mate

now how is the monaro going ?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:33 PM »
Dads bloody hopeless still hasnt done the quarter panel

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing that buddy, that's a game I remember from the good old days and wouldn't mind owning. I did put my hand up for one a month or so ago but the AH selling it reneged and sold it to someone else, bummer!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”