Author Topic: Add-On Sound Module for EMs and EM Arcade machines - Proto finished!  (Read 8796 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
This board has been in development for quite some time. One of the holdups was finding suitable MP3 playback modules. The ones we used take a standard SD card and play files in the .MP3 format. You simply record the sounds you want onto 2 x standard SD memory cards and plug the cards into the players.

This board has two players that are both stereo and have seperate volume controls. The outputs are mixed together and fed to both line out sockets (to enable the use of an external amplifier) and the onboard stereo amplifier chip.

The board can be powered by almost any secondary voltage found in most EM machines (20~50V AC or DC) ar a 12V plug pack.

It has eight inputs to trigger seperate short sounds and four to trigger longer background music. This allows a background theme or longer sound file to be run while seperate sounds for bumpers or gun shots are superimposed over the background music - both with their own volume control.

The inputs are designed to be wired directly across a coil (solenoid or relay) with any voltage from 5V~50V AC or DC being suitable. They can also be configured to be triggered from a normally open switch.

Here is the first prototype nearly assembled:

I have parts for these in my current container due in port late next week so, allowing some shipping time to Cairns and then assembly time, I should have finished units ready in about a month. Price is as yet unknown but they won't be cheap....I plan to have them available in single and dual player models to make a cheaper option available.

Here is the prototype working:

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Online oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
I have been looking for something like this for a while, but need a simpler version to basically start a song on start button and to finish at end of game.
I am asking you if it can be triggered to shut off the looping song at the end of a game?
Nice work  @@*
Do you have a BALL PARK $ as yet?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
The single player version would do your job perfectly. Use one of the inputs to trigger the start and use another to trigger a second file - this stops the first one straight away and starts the second one (which is just a file name but no music) so it effectively stops playing.

I could probably build a much cut down version for your application as it would save a lot of connectors, 1 x vol pot, 2 x opto chips etc etc???

Price - always a problem - not sure yet.....

I have been looking for something like this for a while, but need a simpler version to basically start a song on start button and to finish at end of game.
I am asking you if it can be triggered to shut off the looping song at the end of a game?
Nice work  @@*
Do you have a BALL PARK $ as yet?

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Love your enthusiasm for trying something NEW. I’m up for one.  #*#
Quote ‘price won’t be cheap’; I can foresee me spending many hours finding funky sound effects. That will be more fun, than worrying about any initial outlay.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
great work, interested to see any updates including cost
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Very interesting, nice work again Mike  *%*

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Imagine the surprise on a players face if they didn't know the sound board was in the machine when they went to play it  :lol

Great initative Mike  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I see the main use for this board in EM Arcade games that had an 8 track player for sounds. The 8 tracks are pretty well all stuffed and unrepairable now so this would wire straight in.

I will only have a fairly limited run of them when the bits arrive so anyone who is keen on one needs to keep an eye on the website in a few weeks time.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Awesome stuff Mike.. brilliant  @@* @@*

Had there been something like this available when i built my home made 'Vortex' pin all those yrs ago i would've been all over it!

Maybe its time i started another home brew pin project  #@# #@#

Online oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Any more update? My holy grail is getting closer and I REALLY want her to play The a Beach Boys over those beautifull chimes.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Any more update? My holy grail is getting closer and I REALLY want her to play The a Beach Boys over those beautifull chimes.

I stopped development on the power supply side of this board so they must be run from a 12V DC supply. A Jaycar plugpack would do the job.

Several were used in Daniels brilliant "The Block" builds with great success.

I have been told by a few people that they are too expensive so I haven't offered them on the website and I stopped making them up.

In fact my sell price is below my cost with NO time factored in......some projects simply aren't worth the effort.

I have 2 in stock ready to go at $260 each and that will likely be the last of them.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Well ill take one.. you know that

Online oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Thanks for the info, I was hoping for a much SIMPLER version as per earlier post.
Shame this didn't take off for you/ us.
While the price is fair enough, too rich for what I want it to do. The old iPod will have to do the trick and headphones!
Cheers Andy

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Nooooooooooooo don't stop making them up the price stuff the tight asses there worth every cent

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Not aimed at you Andy just bad timing