Author Topic: Getaway: The restoration (of sorts)  (Read 5566 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Getaway: The restoration (of sorts)
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
OK I've had a lazy Sunday and I'm starting a week earlier.

This is the High Speed II: The Getaway I picked up from Child Amusements.  Since purchase I've started stocking various bits and pieces I will need for the job.  I've had to buy / source some new tools, such as a tumbler and some new saw stands to assist with the job. **I'll just add it was an "as is" pin too, but very nice condition"**

I'm planning to completely strip playfield, clean & polish (diamond plate) and will assess its condition then, but its certainly one of the better ones I've seen.  The cab is getting the once over, clean and decals.

In the electronics dept, I've already fixed the MPU (switch matrix issues + batt damage)...The others ie PSU have already been done previously and won't need touching.  The DMD is missing the last two lines.  I may attempt a repair but will most likely need a new one...but this can be done a little later.

Thus far (where possible) I've done my best to source parts from our wonderful sponsors!  #@#

Here are some starting pics:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:25:27 PM by MartyJ »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Getaway: The restoration (of sorts)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your work on this one.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your work on this one.

Hehe, the pressure is on now...You guys have kicked it up a notch or two....(can't wait to see Nino's next real time resto too!)..

I must say, the later Williams pins is very easy to get playfield out.  Took me about 10 min to label and lift out with the help of the lovely.

Backbox off.  Will strip remainder of cab, then headbox.  Sand and clean and prep.  Will then tackle playfield whilst cab is drying.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:19:01 PM »
Continued....

Cabinet completely stripped, transformer out to be cleaned as best I can, everything else will get the nifty soak or tumbler.

Few thinks to seek opinions/advise on...

Firstly - the Williams blue / white paper stuck on the inside r/h/s near power box.  Best way to remove / save these?  I thought they normally have a country on them if they are export?  This one doesn't so its either a US release or AUS????  Anyway I would like to keep it so not sure best method.

Slide rails / lugs....I had issues with this one not working properly on the l/h/s.  now its out, both the rail and the lug thing it slides on a chewed to bits...Will replace these so are these available locally and correct term (couldn't find a p/n in manual)??

Thirdly, - mounting brackets for leg bolts.  I've noticed quite a few people / resto reads about installing the stronger heavy duty ones which bolt in both sides of the cab.  Has anyone used these and can recommend?  Do I need them?

No more updates as it won't be touched for a week.  Playfield strip next weekend....

Thanks guys.

PS thankyou to Tim aka Duckman for his advice re stripping sanding.  Will be putting that into practice in a few weeks..

Offline Duckman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
Continued....

Cabinet completely stripped, transformer out to be cleaned as best I can, everything else will get the nifty soak or tumbler.

Few thinks to seek opinions/advise on...

Firstly - the Williams blue / white paper stuck on the inside r/h/s near power box.  Best way to remove / save these?  I thought they normally have a country on them if they are export?  This one doesn't so its either a US release or AUS????  Anyway I would like to keep it so not sure best method.

Slide rails / lugs....I had issues with this one not working properly on the l/h/s.  now its out, both the rail and the lug thing it slides on a chewed to bits...Will replace these so are these available locally and correct term (couldn't find a p/n in manual)??

Thirdly, - mounting brackets for leg bolts.  I've noticed quite a few people / resto reads about installing the stronger heavy duty ones which bolt in both sides of the cab.  Has anyone used these and can recommend?  Do I need them?

PS thankyou to Tim aka Duckman for his advice re stripping sanding.  Will be putting that into practice in a few weeks..

Hey again Marty,

Re the lables on the inside of the cab, I usually mask them up to respray the black areas, all depending how far you are gonna go (ie, sanding the interior) 

On the lugs for the playfield rails, yes they are available on the PSP website as far as i know. (Used some the other day for a T2)

And as for the leg plates unless the wooden mounting blocks are crushed from overtightening or plates stripped you shouldn't need the wider, more heavy duty ones. Although i do prefer them as the are a lot more secure if you tend to give your machines a good thrashing during play!! !*!

(Should see Mark on his MM, that man shouldn't own such a fine machine. I am suprised i haven't had to replace the leg plates sooner!! &^&)  lol

Shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell him i said that...... :tumble:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:19:10 PM by Strangeways »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »

Just tidied up the quotes on your post, Tim  ^^^

Can't wait for the updates, Marty !

Great start.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Duckman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »
Thanks Nino, didn't realise i had left it a mess. I posted and jumped off for a bit &^&

But yeah, Can't wait to see your progress Marty, Should come up really sweet!! ^^^

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »

I need some new staff   looking for a replacement  duckman

pay is shit
hours are long
boss is a prick

now they are the good points

now  where are you working monday  Duck#ucker............

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I was planning on giving the cab the full Nino / Highend Pins' treatment, sand, paint both inside and out.

I'll mask the decal up I think as I want it to stay...

I'll checkout PBSP site for the lugs, but I need new rails too?

I'm even considering replacing the braid too...If I can find some at a reasonable cost...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:43:30 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I was planning on giving the cab the full Nino / Highend Pins' treatment, sand, paint both inside and out.

I'm even considering replacing the braid too...If I can find some at a reasonable cost...

Braid is here, Marty - Not cheap - But it is what I plan to use for my playfield swapouts !

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
Thanks Tim.

should have rails  in stock this week too

mark

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:16:31 AM »
Thanks Mark,

Will keep an eye on your online store for them!

Thanks Tim.

Braid is here, Marty - Not cheap - But it is what I plan to use for my playfield swapouts !

Thanks Nino.  I'll have a look around locally, maybe Middy's or similar may have it....I'm guessing braid is braid and not specific to pinballs?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
Thanks Mark,

Will keep an eye on your online store for them!

Thanks Tim.

Thanks Nino.  I'll have a look around locally, maybe Middy's or similar may have it....I'm guessing braid is braid and not specific to pinballs?

Braid is just Braid - as long as it is a similar guage. If you find something local - let us know !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
Cabinet moved into the basement...Sanding started.  Will be a slow process..

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
I've had some time today to progress.

The cab is sanded and the repairs are taking place....Tim - I do feel for you.  Its not a fun job...  !!!

Playfield is stripped, nifty clean on rag first followed by novus.

On the T2 I cleaned and cleaned and polished to get a good finish on the diamondplate, without a huge shine.  My Treasure-Cove kit has arrived so I'll give it a shot and see how it works.  These are the before shots...