Author Topic: Buck Rogers Restoration  (Read 9494 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Buck Rogers Restoration
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »
Well I finally bought my second pin, I had been looking for a "project" either EM or SS for a while and finally purchased a Gottlieb Buck Rogers.  I don't pick it up until Sunday week (pics will follow when I get it) but I wanted to get started with the ordering process of a new board/s for it.

The existing ones are basically stuffed (battery leakage and hacked to death) so rather than flop around trying to fix them or diagnose problems with my limited knowledge, I figured I would just completely replace them.  What are peoples thoughts, do I get the NiWumpf or the Pascal all in one board PI-1X4?

I am leaning towards the Pascal board since it's all in one.  I know they are not cheap but before buying the game I was already factoring in spending some dollars on the boards to make it much more reliable.  If it's the Pascal do I also get the the P1-FX/X4 Soundboard to plug in directly to the all in one board?  What does this board do since the all in one basically replaces the power supply + driver board + sound board (3-tone) on 1 single board.  Does this get me extra sounds or something?

Also would I still need to do the ground modifications I read about for these games if I replace all the boards with one of the above?

I apologise in advance for any dumb questions and also thank the contributors to this site for always sharing their technical knowledge and advice/help.  Without that I would never have the balls to take on a project pin.  I know I will have lots more questions down the track as I start work on the playfield, cabinet and other bits and pieces.   !@)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Buck Rogers Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
Congrats on the purchase - a fun game.

I lean towards Pascal boards as they are "all in one" and most chips are socketed. No ground mods are required other than one small screw in terminal on the board - that's easy !

The "PI-FX/X4" is suited to BR. I bought one for a Genie I restored a while ago and it was a huge improvement.

Now a word of caution - the connector pins will most likely be tarnished of corroded. These should be replaced. If they are corroded, then the corrosion will creep up on your new board.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »
I'd just go the pascal all in one board there a wonderful thing have installed half a dozen without issue.   I've never needed the add on soundboard so I can't help you there has anyone used the add on sound board?

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »

Now a word of caution - the connector pins will most likely be tarnished of corroded. These should be replaced. If they are corroded, then the corrosion will creep up on your new board.

Thanks for the info.  Yes I was expecting I would probably have the tedious task of replacing the connector pins. I never considered the corrosion creeping up into the new board tho, but it maks sense now you mention it. I guess to be thorough I should probably look at replacing them all rather than just any suspect looking ones.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
Definitely go for the Pascal all in one board.  The additional sound is relatively inexpensive and worth while getting.  It will give you some modified sounds.  I have a Ni Wumpf board and whilst it does it's job, I have had an issue with it which eventually got sorted out by the developer after some 'guess' work.  To be honest, I wouldn't stuff around with reconditioning the other boards just to add a Ni Wumpf again. 
I would thoroughly recommend the Pascal board without any hesitation whatsoever - I have 3 of them in Sys 1 machines now and wouldn't use anything else.  They give you a heap of extras such as ball save, much better light show, skill shot, 5 x highest scores with the ability to add initials plus more.

Oh, have fun replacing the contacts, an essential but very time consuming job.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »
Good luck and have fun with the restoration. I'll be watching on with much interest, I'd love a Buck Rogers. Its definitely on my want list. Is this the one from eBay recently?

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:04:09 AM »
Cheers, yeah i like the theme, was a fan of Buck Rogers when i was a kid, plus the backglass has a nice chick on it.  %.%. Thought it would be a project which would give me a taste of everything too and keep me busy for quite a while.

The seller had it on AA first then while we were discussing it also listed it on eBay but subsequently pulled the auction after I agreed to buy it. So it probably was the one you saw on there.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »
Cheers, yeah i like the theme, was a fan of Buck Rogers when i was a kid, plus the backglass has a nice chick on it.  %.%. Thought it would be a project which would give me a taste of everything too and keep me busy for quite a while.

The seller had it on AA first then while we were discussing it also listed it on eBay but subsequently pulled the auction after I agreed to buy it. So it probably was the one you saw on there.

Yep, that was the one. I'd have been all over that auction if the machine was closer but well done to you.  ^^^
The theme really appeals to me too for the same reasons and the art work also looks great. I also really like the way the system one machines play, so for me this title has everything going for it.  I'm sure it'll be a ripper when your done restoring it.

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
Great buy. Nice spacey sounds , and awesome back glass!! Nice

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »
If you get the plug in sound board with the all in one board Pascal will give it to you at a cheaper price than buying it separately, you don't end up saving that much not getting it.
With the plug in sound board you can use any sound scheme from any of the supported games.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go ahead and get both of the Pascal's then.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go ahead and get both of the Pascal's then.

You won't regret it  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
Hey Slash did you buy Narf's Buck Rodgers project game off him?
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Yeah that's the one.

Is there something I should know about it? Haha

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
Well I finally bought my second pin, I had been looking for a "project" either EM or SS for a while and finally purchased a Gottlieb Buck Rogers.  I don't pick it up until Sunday week (pics will follow when

Number two hey, congrats.
Then there we three?   %.%  man these lil bastards breed quick hey, careful and good luck with the resto mate. I remember the TV show, not the pin. How about a few pics?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.