Author Topic: Gtb Outer Space backglass restore  (Read 4802 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Gtb Outer Space backglass restore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »

Great work, love seeing backglasses being done, something I have never had the nerve to try, well done!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
must be nerve wracking working on a backglass. great job though!  $#$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »
Cheers guys glad you like  ^^^ i still don't know yet if Andy has seen this thread, but i expect he will soon enough, so long as he's happy with the final outcome then happy days!

Great work, love seeing backglasses being done, something I have never had the nerve to try, well done!!

you'll be seeing a few more BG restores from me in the near future  #@#  still have to do Ian's Genie BG for him which should be next cab off the rank  *%* plus a few of my own.. Pinball Pool and Hot Hand in particular need extensive work!

must be nerve wracking working on a backglass. great job though!  $#$

Yepp it can be at times, its real easy to mess up if you're not careful! especially when cutting/scraping the old paint back to the black keylines without chipping the paint. I sometimes need to fix these up before i paint the colours in. i used to use sharpie pens to fix the black keylines but i've been using paint and a fine brush lately, sharpie ink bleeds back thru any paint that is applied over it, not a big problem in itsself, it just looks rough from the back of the glass.

And with this new jig i no longer have to worry about clipping the edge of the glass and shattering it everytime i flip it to check my work.. i still take every precaution though just the same!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:34:04 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
great job, Mitch. Can not believe how good it's coming up. @@*

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 12:03:10 AM »
Hi All
Just saw this now...what a job  $#$
As someone who owns lots of stuff worked on by Mitch, it's no suprise the job is 1st rate

Fantastic result mate

Outer Space will be my 1st resto but will have to wait for a while due to renovations/$$/time etc. Currently works ok though its very dirty and has been "restored" by some kid with a spray can, a bottle of thinners and a texta. Ive picked up a passable set of plastics, new bumpers, chimebox kit.

When the p/f is out Mitch will do the detailing. It's not bad but needs the inserts levelled and some mylar.

This is a great start and will motivate me to bring the rest of the machine up to this high standard

Once again, hats off to Mr P

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »
Hi All
Just saw this now...what a job  $#$
As someone who owns lots of stuff worked on by Mitch, it's no suprise the job is 1st rate

Fantastic result mate

Outer Space will be my 1st resto but will have to wait for a while due to renovations/$$/time etc. Currently works ok though its very dirty and has been "restored" by some kid with a spray can, a bottle of thinners and a texta. Ive picked up a passable set of plastics, new bumpers, chimebox kit.

When the p/f is out Mitch will do the detailing. It's not bad but needs the inserts levelled and some mylar.

This is a great start and will motivate me to bring the rest of the machine up to this high standard

Once again, hats off to Mr P

Cheers Andy  ^^^ glad you like what you see
Shouldn't be too much longer before you can have it back.. not much left to do now!

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »
Amazing work Mitch, well done  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
I need to do something on my embryon bg but don't have the nerve. Might be in contact in the next year or two for some advise. I think it might be beyond me. Nice work there mate
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 11:18:42 PM »
Time for another small update;

Progress has been a bit slow lately due to other work commitments and cold weather holding up painting progress.

2nd and 3rd pics showing the area i have been working on.. redoing the reds in the text in the word 'players'. This was a section that i wasn't originally going to do, but me being me (a fussy bastard) i had to do it  :D I ALWAYS get the major damaged sections done, then think.. hmm what else can i do to this glass/playfield etc to make it look better? @.@

Removing the faded red in this text was VERY time consuming and difficult to do, but i think Andy will appreciate the extra effort  *%* I removed the old paint as close to the black edges as i dared, with out accidentally chipping out more than i wanted to and creating more work for myself. So some of the faded paint IS still there close to the black keylines as a result, a bit of a compromise so as to lower the risk of doing unwanted damage to the surrounding paint.

After i had cleaned the old paint, the glass was gently cleaned with a bit of paper towel moistened with Windex, i masked off the area and sprayed on some acrylic clear to seal and prevent any red paint from bleeding under the surrounding art. After that had dried the red was applied.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »
A few more pics for now.. rest of the text being done.

This was even smaller and more fiddly to do  ^&^ had a couple of little stuffups that i had to fix as i went (black keylines chipping)  ^.^ but i got there in the end!! Once the red was done here i sprayed on the flat white backing. This was not needed for light diffusing as this text wasnt backlit (silver masked, hence why it was difficult to remove in the first place). I used the white to brighten the red paint slightly.

I didnt get a pic of it but this section has had the silver/grey paint applied, so the touchups are sealed in for good now.

This was about the hardest part of doing this BG, so i'm glad i finally have this bit done  #*#
Just a few more small touchups to do and the glass is finished, and Andy can have it back  *%*

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:34:16 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
Sweet work as usual Mitch .  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
Wow...huge improvement Mitch....the reds were letting this otherwise clean glass down in a major way.

Sorry I missed minipinfest on saturday...i have been painting and treating decking and skirting for 5 days straight with no end in sight. Everything hurts and i think the fumes have knocked me off a little  &^&

In other news, the new plastics arrived for Abra Ca Dabra today from Lee in Brissy. Top quality stuff. Think factory original.
Klondike plastics will be here later on in the year

Anyway, back to the rennos ^&^ &^& ^&^o's

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »
Wow...huge improvement Mitch....the reds were letting this otherwise clean glass down in a major way.

Sorry I missed minipinfest on saturday...i have been painting and treating decking and skirting for 5 days straight with no end in sight. Everything hurts and i think the fumes have knocked me off a little  &^&

In other news, the new plastics arrived for Abra Ca Dabra today from Lee in Brissy. Top quality stuff. Think factory original.
Klondike plastics will be here later on in the year

Anyway, back to the rennos ^&^ &^& ^&^o's

Cheers Andy, glad you like what you see  ^^^ wait til ya get the bill  <.> nah dont worry, wont be too drastic  *.*

No worries about the pin meet you missed out on, there'll be plenty of others, next time you're here most of the pins will have been moved up into the house  *%* *%*

Your BG should be finished in the next day or so!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Been busy for the last couple of days so time for another update;

Been doing the final touchups to the reds and some of the yellows..

I didnt get a pic of it but the yellow has had the white diffusing layer of paint applied prior to taking the last pic.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:54:04 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
More pics, last faded areas of red being done.

pic 1, colour applied to the cleaned glass
pic 2,followed by the white to make the red 'pop'
pic 3, final result

last of all i sprayed on some silver/grey paint over the touchups so the glass looks a bit tidier from the back  :D