Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 18 - ktm450  (Read 1959 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 18 - ktm450
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
I know its a day early but we have a wedding to attend today and I don't really think I will be in any state to get on the computer tomorrow  **)

So here goes....

1. Earliest pinball memory?

I have no idea what game it was, but, my parents used to send me and my brother to the milkbar to grab a few things and give me and my younger brother 20c each to buy some lollies.  I of course would get a huge bag of lollies and convince my brother into putting his money into one of 2 pins that were located in the rear of the milkbar.  I of course would "help" him play.  The money was gone in a few seconds as the balls drained 
I sometimes gave him a few lollies to make him feel better   :lol
I feel bad about it now but what are big brothers for!!   *)*

2. All time favourite pin? Why?

Whitewater, fun game with great flow, heaps of cool ramps, deep ruleset, it's a real thinking game you need to decide when to collect the different awards, when to use the x5 multiplyer, etc.  Always keeps you on your toes thinking. That being said it is also appealing to the casual player as they can still enjoy without knowing all the rules.
Best topper ever made, and the vacation Jackpot, hard to achieve but when you do its awesome, the machine goes nuts!

3. Favourite pinball manufacture?

Although I love the artwork and 'feel' of a lot of the older games, I prefer the late 80s - 90s pins, so I have to say Williams/Bally

4. Favourite game in your collection? Why?

Whitewater as above, followed closely by Twilight Zone.

5. How long have you been collecting?

7 years.  I always found pins intriguing, a mini world of mechanical gadgets trapped under a piece of glass, but never thought of owning one until we visited my wifes uncle in Townsville.  He and a friend owned a few machines on site and he had a Williams Rollergames in his home.  I had to have a pin of my own

6. First game and how did you find it?

1978 Gottlieb Dragon, found it in the local paper cheap and in good condition, restored it in our lounge room, sold it and doubled my money

7. Do you still have it?

No, and although I have fond memories from it I don't miss it at all

8. What are you currently working on?

Recently finished my TZ

Now in the middle of restoring my Whitewater, I just need to find more time, three young boys keep us on our toes!

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

Pinball Circus  <.>

Back to reality....
Hard to pick there are so many I'd love to own, if I had the cash probably Attack from Mars.  Flowing layout, fast, great humour, heaps of modes and multiballs and one of the hardest wizard modes ever.

Although I think my wife would possibly leave me if I brought another pin home  @.@

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

I guess my TZ was the best bargain, bought for $3000 'as is', everything was working, no broken plastics, just in need of a good birthday and a few parts.

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

When I was visiting some family in Townsville many years ago I was offered a Stargate in very good condition for $1200.  The logistics of transporting it back to Geelong proved too much of an obstacle.

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought

I can’t say I've ever had a pin I wish I never purchased, although I probably paid too much for my WH20 as I had to own one with a topper, the playfield was not in the best condition, but I am in the middle of touching it up and I am very pleased with the results.

13. Describe your collection

High Speed 2 - The Getaway

Whitewater

Twilight Zone

14. Describe your gamesroom

We have a large rumpus room in our home and I have my pins lined up against one wall.  I have a cabinet on another wall housing my 1:18 Peter Brock Collection model cars, most certificates of authenticity signed before he passed.  The rest of the room is being used by our boys as a playroom at the moment, when they are older I will put in a bar and billiard table.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

No, although I grew up mostly around video games, and we always had a computer in home since I can remember, I am not a huge fan of video games, I don’t mind playing them but I just find them too repetitive compared to pins.

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

I very much doubt that there will be any major manufacturer building bulk pins, hopefully we can rely on small operations delivering the occasional title.

I think it is great to see pins on mainstream TV (underbelly, ads, etc) hopefully this can ignite the passion in peoples minds.  If one person thinks 'it would be cool to own one of those old things', this leads to support for the whole industry, from sales to spare parts.  One pin leads to two, exposure to family and friends who also decide it would be cool to own one, before you know it they are multiplying.

At least, even without a major manufacturer, thanks to collectors like us, we will always be able to find a nice pin to play somewhere.

‘For those that understand no explanation is necessary, for those that don’t it is impossible to explain’

Hope you enjoyed reading,

Matt.

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 18 - ktm450
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
Thanks Matt, Great read and nice collection you have there.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Always wanted to play a whitewater too

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »
Nice work, Matt. Interesting to see that you doubled your money on the first pin; I am guessing there are a few guys on here who have done that so they could acquire a better pin next.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Nice read Matt but i dont know how you sleep at night Tricking your little brother into playing the pinballs with his money.  If you have a secret let me know as i did the same thing. Except i used my money aswell

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »

Nice read, Matt.

"doubling your money" is how we all basically start - the hobby can fund itself. Its a great idea, and it allows you to "build" your collection over time.

Enjoy your evening !

$#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing Matt.

As for

"Although I think my wife would possibly leave me if I brought another pin home"

- I find that at odds with her great attitude to your games when I was there, and the fun she had playing Getaway (and kicking my pants to boot!) So I reckon she wants you to buy more pins buddy!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »
Excellent read Matt, thanks for taking the time for posting.

Once again totally different story for the same set of questions.

Really enjoyed it - thanks!

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »

Thanks guys!

Thanks for sharing Matt.

As for

"Although I think my wife would possibly leave me if I brought another pin home"

- I find that at odds with her great attitude to your games when I was there, and the fun she had playing Getaway (and kicking my pants to boot!) So I reckon she wants you to buy more pins buddy!

I'll have to work on her a bit more Nick, I think I can fit one more against that wall and still squeeze into the rumpus room before moving out to the shed  *)*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
Theres always a way Matt.  My missus gave up and said  so long as the bedroom stays hers little does she know i have playfields up in the wardrobe lol  #@#

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
Theres always a way Matt.  My missus gave up and said  so long as the bedroom stays hers little does she know i have playfields up in the wardrobe lol  #@#

*)* Pisser  *)*