Author Topic: My son just got his "L" plates  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: My son just got his "L" plates
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
The best money you would ever spend would be on an advanced driver training course IMO.

It teaches the right 'attitude' rather than the "I know all" that many younger drivers (including me many moons ago) seem to have.

It was the best thing I ever did for my son - it took the edge off his 'youthfulness' as far as driving goes and probably saved his life!

The opening address by the advanced instructor was:

"What is probably the ONLY thing you are likely to do every day that can KILL YOU? - go driving!"

This has stayed with me for many years now.......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »
The best money you would ever spend would be on an advanced driver training course IMO.

It teaches the right 'attitude' rather than the "I know all" that many younger drivers (including me many moons ago) seem to have.

It was the best thing I ever did for my son - it took the edge off his 'youthfulness' as far as driving goes and probably saved his life!

"What is probably the ONLY thing you are likely to do every day that can KILL YOU? - go driving!"

Yes Mike I'd planned on sending him to a course for advanced driving should I do it for his 17th or 18th? we had an issue at a two laned roundabout yesterday I sort of panicked and i ended up saying go no stop now go no stop and I stressed him out I think we sat there for 10 minutes lol the problem was cars where going in the inside lane and he couldn't see and that made him ask me if it was safe to go, its so much harder with no peddles I feel helpless and sort of unsafe.

Peter

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »
Do it when he gets his P's I reckon. 

Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:33 PM »

+1

Best advise to follow. I think that attending an "ADVANCED Driver's course" gives bragging rights to the kids that they have done a worthwhile "professional" course. It gives the kids a sense of responsibility, because they have been taught by professionals in a professional environment. That's not taking anything away from the parent's driving instructions, but in some cases the instructors are ex racing drivers or "car industry" people. I think once the kids do the course they learn the good habits and pass it on to their peers - "I did and ADVANCED driving course, so I'm a bit cooler than the other guys as their mum, dad or older brother taught them.."

I think it should be mandatory in each state.

I remember getting my motorbike license. You had to spend a day on theory and watching videos of accidents and bike rider's injuries. I think it shocked us into learning the right habits from "day 1".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pajo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
My son's going through it now but is on 80 hours so it's much more relaxing going out now!

It's worth getting the free driving lesson that the government pays for. You do the lesson along with your learner driver.  I found it really helpful in giving me tips on supervising a learner driver. You can check out how to get the free lesson on the keys2drive.com.au website.

oh and don't forget to keep breathing!

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
Good luck, Peter (and Ben)!

I hate driving in the city. Don't know how you teach a kid in Melbourne traffic.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
22 hrs into his driving all is going well  $#$ only issue to fast around roundabouts, funny how teenagers are experts in everything haha

Peter

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
mitch has done his hours on 'L' he takes his 'p' in 6 weeks
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »
mitch has done his hours on 'L' he takes his 'p' in 6 weeks

Nice is he confidant?

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
yes,but very sensible.and he has had to drive my manual ute.lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
22 hrs into his driving all is going well  $#$ only issue to fast around roundabouts, funny how teenagers are experts in everything haha

Peter

Great to hear Pete. Since your thread started, I started discussing future driving with my two girls - now when I ask them what they will be learning with they both reply "Manual Daddy, we want to learn properly".

Ah parenthood, legalised brainwashing!!  *)*
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
Yeah manual is the way to go although having said that both our cars are autos but he has driven a manual once thanks Blair  ^^^ my only option is a few months before his 18th is to pay for lesions in a manual. Next I have twin girls OH GOOD HELP ME LOL

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
Yeah manual is the way to go although having said that both our cars are autos but he has driven a manual once thanks Blair  ^^^ my only option is a few months before his 18th is to pay for lesions in a manual. Next I have twin girls OH GOOD HELP ME LOL

Looking forward to hearing about them = should be worth a chuckle or two!!  &&
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »

18? its 17 hear in sa

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
Our 2 daughters both learnt on my manual . They have had their own cars for a while now , both manuals . Eldest daughter is on her 3rd car and all have been manuals . None of their female friends know how to drive one LOL
I need more room ! and more $$$