Author Topic: My son just got his "L" plates  (Read 4040 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: My son just got his "L" plates
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
Yeah manual is the way to go although having said that both our cars are autos but he has driven a manual once thanks Blair  ^^^ my only option is a few months before his 18th is to pay for lesions in a manual. Next I have twin girls OH GOOD HELP ME LOL

18? its 17 hear in sa

Yep 18 for P's

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
When I was apx 14 yrs old, my dad used to take me along to his real estate parties/conferences and just the local friends type piss up nights etc.
He used to get hammered on bourbon n coke in his favourite take along crystal glass.lol

So my dad taught me to drive so I could drive him home. We lived in the country, and dad bought a new Ford Fairlane every year for his real estate business etc.
In todays money, it would be like driving the top of the range Ford or Holden. He was never nervous, cause luckily for me I learnt to drive n steer from age 10 when we went pig shooting in 4 wheel drives on many different properties. I remember dad teaching me how to do burn outs n doughnuts in a huge paddock etc.
His attitude was learn how to drive when the front or back loses traction incase one day on the normal road, the road is slipperly or oily etc.
I always said drive like a idiot, crash like one. So whilst he taught me the fun stuff, he taught me it so I could oneday save myself, or the car, or the passengers etc.

Everything today is different. Much more cars on the road. Some people say (the car learn to drive hire companies) that u shouldn't get your parents to teach u how to drive, cause all of us old blokes don't know the technical crap from the 2014 Drivers handbook etc. I sort of see both benefits from family teaching a young bloke and a professional driving school as well. Maybe a bit of both is the answer.lol

Pete, is he learning how to drive in your V8 ? Are u worried about the rims n the gutters etc. ? All part of being a Dad. Fun isn't it.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
Well time flys hey :) the boys only 5 months off his P Plates and has completed about 85hrs of the required 120hrs. He's just started lessons mainly for a manual car as mine are all auto's there going well and I must say he's a good driver :)

Two weeks ago my daughter got her L Plates so it starts all over again and more grey hair lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »
Well time flys hey :) the boys only 5 months off his P Plates and has completed about 85hrs of the required 120hrs. He's just started lessons mainly for a manual car as mine are all auto's there going well and I must say he's a good driver :)

Two weeks ago my daughter got her L Plates so it starts all over again and more grey hair lol

We all start from somewhere ! Sounds like they have a good instructor  %$%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 03:41:40 AM »
Well done Pete.
You facebook page often has photos of your entire cool family.
You are a lucky man.  Good to hear both kids have got their dads driving genes.

Girls usually make safe drivers cause they aren't ratbags like us men. So your daughter should breeze through it as well. Well done Pete.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Cheers guys yeah the trick is not to panic or yell at them if they do something wrong you just need to be firm :) it can be scary especially in heavy city traffic but they need those conditions. Soon we will be car hunting for the boy he wants a SV6 VZ I'd prefer something older for a first car but later models are safer, gee my first was a $300 EH lol.