Author Topic: My Flash ready for a spring clean  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: My Flash ready for a spring clean
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
Started to revive the backglass today. First was 4 coats of Krylon clear glaze to arrest any further flaking as it was a perfect day for this sort of job.
I then started to apply acrylic red to the worst areas and also black around parts of the score surrounds (especially on the corners). There are also some yellows and flesh colours to touch up but these are not as bad on this one. Below is a shot of the whole backglass. The other shots show before and after restore.

This is my first ever attempt at a backglass restore.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:23:39 PM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »
Some other work this weekend involves more label restorations. In the following pictures are shown 3 labels from the backbox which I am recreating. The "Danger - High Voltage" label was well and trully stuck so I created a new one and stuck over the existing label. The other 3 came off easily as the glue was dry and cracked.
The labels were scanned and the yellowing was digitaly removed using MS Paint (no facy Photoshop in my household). The photos show the new label alongside the original.
The Master Control is the most difficult (why I left it last) as it has a lot more writing. The spaces in between the letters are easy to clean using lines and solid rectangles but the letters are PITA as you need to do one pixel at a time. The screen capture shows the enlarged area as I progress along (slowly I must say).
I looked on the web for reproduction labels, but all I found were scanned examples of the yellowing labels which I did not like, which I why I am spending all this time creating 'new looking' labels from my originals.

Offline pinoffski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Great work happening to this Flash .....

I really have to try and ban myself from this thread  :lol

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
Well I know that work needs to be done on the boards to get this old fart running again. In the meantime I chucked in a Rottendog MPU327 so I can check out the rest of the machine.
Fired her up yesterday and  boots up good so power all OK.  Contacts on 1 and 4 lane need adjusting as they miss sometimes.  The 3rd bumper was locked due to closed contact (now fixed). 
Now for the biggest gripe, yes you guessed it, the Williams drop targets. They all worked fine when machine went to storage but now only 3 of 8 register points when dropped. I gave them a clean with Isocol but still no good. They are not worn so I am assuming they need to be bent forrward more to make contact. One target from the 3-bank now does not fall freely and I am assuming a spring is the problem.
Any tips with these type of drop targets?

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
Towards the bottom of this page http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9062.0 Nino talks little on what he did when reconditioning the drop target assembly's on my Flash when he restored it. Don,t know if this will help but I can tell you I play mine heaps and it has never missed a beat.
Yours is looking awesome by the way keep it up I'm loving the updates.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
Yes, looking at those contacts, they are more bent. Thanks, there are great photos there.