Author Topic: Opinions/Photos? Full SS Restoration, BUT ... leaving cabinet original!?  (Read 384 times)

Offline spriggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Ladies,

After 10 years (on and off) of playing with arcade cabinet builds/restorations/artwork restorations & recovery .. I'm making the smart move () of putting the last of my arcade projects to bed and moving onto enlarging my Pinball collection and getting my ugly head into some SS(Alphanumeric) Pinball restore projects.  An era of pinball that is close to my heart and memories.  I love my HUO Demo Man, but shes lonely :) ... and I would prefer to go down the older SS route and get down and dirty.

So ... the question I"m battling in my own head is quite simple!!

I won't be f**king around with my restores.  I want them looking shmicko.  Simple.  HOWEVER .. My brain is liking the idea of restoring everything on these classic older stencilled cabinets ... BUT leaving the cabinet with its original patina.   That is ....  Restored/NOS/Repro Backglass and Playfield and parts .. new/restored chrome/legs, everything polished or replated ... cabinet paint/stencil cleaned but left as is!  Don't get me wrong... fresh re-stenciled cabinets look sweet and I"m more than happy to go down that path, but I'm looking at all paths.  Obviously if the cabinet is way too far gone .. then a re-stencil would be my path. 

I know its always personal choice and opinions yadadadadada! ... but I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone down this path ... how they look ... Does it look odd all blinged around a semi-ratty cab? .. and of course any project photos of members who have gone down this path.  Being a car man .. Ive seen old aussie beasts done like this and my brain really likes the way they look.

Cheers in advance.
Spriggy

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
My jungle princess is like this everything on the Playfield is new but the cabinet is original.  It looks ok but I always look at it and think if I should redo it

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
I understand people restoring extremely damaged artwork, hell I've done it, but i dont really see the point if it is in reasonably good condition. You cant play the cabinet and you cant even really see it in a line up. A few dents and scratches give the pins a bit of character they were after all put on site to make money back in their younger days

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
my guideline -- if it needs putty it needs paint. 
keep in mind why you're bothering .. if you do it to make money use decals but if you do it for your own collection do what makes you happy even if thats long hours of paint and prep

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
I understand people restoring extremely damaged artwork, hell I've done it, but i dont really see the point if it is in reasonably good condition. You cant play the cabinet and you cant even really see it in a line up. A few dents and scratches give the pins a bit of character they were after all put on site to make money back in their younger days
definitely +1
as long as it plays AWESOME all is good  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
If the original is 7.5/10  or better, then keep and bring it up with clean/polish/touch up. You will never get it perfect, but it will always be seen as an original.
If original is worse than 7.5/10 then do new or replace component. The thing is that classic SS titles are getting over the 30 year age and it is becoming rare to find good original machines. A lot of them have already had cabinet, backglass and playfield re-dos. Some are done too good for my liking and do not have the character of a 70/80s machine. For example some playfields are clear coated to a glass like finish which looks good but not authentic.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Depends on the game, depends on the condition

if it is a game that has colors that have faded, then repaint
if the colors are still strong, leave it alone

My Bally playboy needs a repaint, like all Playboys, the purple has faded. yet my Black knight still looks great, a new paint job will not make it look much better

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Appreciate the replies boys.

Maybe I should be a bit more clear and narrow down my own quriosity.  I understand the argument of the cab/paint still looks good, so leave it .. looks quite faded with plenty of dents and marks, so fix and paint etc.  In the end my original question will give a plethora of different opinions .. which is gr8, but will still leave me asking myself certain things.

So .. to narrow it down.  If anyone has a stencilled SS alphanumeric baby, with faded/dented/scratched cabinet etc ... but new/restored legs, coin door, playfield & parts ... a few sexy-time photos of them would be gr8 to see, and hence get a true feel of what to expect if I went down this route.

Thx again.  ^^^

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Just an example of how I like to leave things original as much as possible. I am doing my Williams Flash restore http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=11238.msg147155#msg147155 and most things are intact and authentic from 1979. Globes, rubbers and leg levelers were the only new components and everything else was cleaned.
An example where I could have put new decals are the drop targets and spinner. I cleaned and left the originals. The spinner was 15% worn to the metal at the base where I touched up. The targets are slightly worn. I put contact on all targets and the spinner to preserve what is there.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Very nice Freiherr!  That side angled profile pic of your Flash on top of page 3 is a gr8 shot.  Now all you need to do is add a few gouges, scratches and rough the paint up a bit for me to get the look I'm trying to analyse  && :)  Amazing original paint!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:52:40 PM by spriggy »

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Oops.  Nothing to see here. ::)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:52:18 PM by spriggy »

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
Most of my pins have the original unrestored cabs I just spend my time getting the playfields nice as that is what you look at most of the time

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Very nice Freiherr!  That side angled profile pic of your Flash on top of page 3 is a gr8 shot.  Now all you need to do is add a few gouges, scratches and rough the paint up a bit for me to get the look I'm trying to analyse  && :)  Amazing original paint!!

To further narrow down what I'm trying to get my head around ... and after seeing Freiherrs aforementioned side pic of his Flash, I'm asking myself this question...
"With nice new/restored legs, side rails, coin door, shmick playfield .. will/does the old, scratched, dented, patina'd cabinet overwhelm or take anything away from the rest of the shiny bling, or does it give a wierd balance of old/new.. where the new is strong enough to make the cabinet look impressive, but the old wood and art gives it some history?"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
An interesting topic which has differing opinions. Since I restore games for a living, in most cases - it is a $ decision. I do get a lot of customers specifically requesting High End work to the classic Bally "Holy Grails". In some cases - money is no object, they want all components of the restoration to be as close to new as possible. These games are presented to me almost completely hammered. The Fathom I've almost done was repainted by the previous owner, and it was HORRIBLE. After many hours, it looks as good as it did when it left the factory. This is one end of the scale.

As more repro parts become available, customers can see the attractive proposition of a full restoration. It can be done - if the $ allows.

Each pinball has a story - where it came from, previous owners, non factory legs, repainted white etc etc. Some people like the charm of the nicks, scratches and scrapes. The import thing to realize is most restorations are simply a step up from having the game working and playing as it should. You don't HAVE TO restore the cabinet, backglass or playfield UNLESS there is a necessity. An example would be a flaking backglass. This needs to be addressed to arrest further deterioration. A cabinet being held together by the legs - again - HAS to be looked at. Each game is different, and each collector has different expectations. I'm a perfectionist, but I NEVER EVER comment on another collector's game, as it is not my machine. If I see the wrong rubber, or the wrong legs for the game - that's HIS machine, and HE likes it that way.

I used to think restorers should do their restorations according to a certain "code", or a "standard". But that was wrong. In clay's EM restoration guides, he repaints only the front door of some of his Woodrails - I thought that was lazy - but that's the way he liked to do them. That's his prerogative. He enjoyed seeing the front of all his machines lined up. It is just a different interpretation of a restoration. Like every machine, everyone is different in their approach to a restoration, and the criteria that dictate the requirement for the restoration.

What you do - whatever makes you feel good. It is your game, and there is no "right" or "wrong" way of doing it. It is a completely personal decision. I like the challenge, so I'll do everything I can.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Couldn't agree more Strangeways.  I too have been known to be anal on projects (Gibo has taken the piss outta me in the past on some of my old arcade cabinet and artwork projects for this reason ::))
Up until the last few days, my restoration path was (and may still be) going to be full monty.  Full cab prep and fresh stencilling included.  But for what ever reason, have been thinking of other different or unusal ways to attack my first SS restore.  Hence, this thread... and hopefully photos of others who have done what I've discussed for perusal.

Interesting topic as you said and good to see it from all angles.