Author Topic: Black Hole on Ebay  (Read 806 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Black Hole on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
Ahh bugger.  I was hoping that I was the only one that had seen it on eBay in the whole country.  Looks like it would be a good project.

Any major difference in value between this type and the animated backglass type?  Anything else that the export machines had compared to the non-export machines?
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
Ahh bugger.  I was hoping that I was the only one that had seen it on eBay in the whole country.  Looks like it would be a good project.

Any major difference in value between this type and the animated backglass type?  Anything else that the export machines had compared to the non-export machines?

The Euro export ones without the spinning disk do not have the sound/speech card, just an older sound only card. This does detract a little from the fun of the game, as the speech - very robotic - really suits the game. They otherwise play identically.

I was watching this too as I happen to have a spare US spec (spinning disk) complete head box.

It is not easy to find the sound/speech card, but they are around from time to time, but are also subject to the amp failing (although Homepin makes a great drop in replacement that I used on Haunted House). I'd expect these would sell for about $150 plus shipping and exchange - maybe $200.00 if you find one. Drop in with the right ROM and speech is added.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
This one is in way better shape cosmetically than mine  !!!
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:11:12 PM »
I was watching this too as I happen to have a spare US spec (spinning disk) complete head box.

It is not easy to find the sound/speech card, but they are around from time to time, but are also subject to the amp failing (although Homepin makes a great drop in replacement that I used on Haunted House). I'd expect these would sell for about $150 plus shipping and exchange - maybe $200.00 if you find one. Drop in with the right ROM and speech is added.

Great info thanks for sharing.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
It will be interesting to see how much it goes for, seems to be one of the seller's better machines. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »
I am always confused by such listings from dealers. Looks complete, didn't plug it in etc. I thought they'd have techs that could make the listing more detailed in that you'd be pretty sure it was complete and wouldn't they have the know how to take good calculated risk on powering it up or know its got problems to not try.

I thought something so sort after would warrant a closer look by a dealer or am I missing something here?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
I am always confused by such listings from dealers. Looks complete, didn't plug it in etc. I thought they'd have techs that could make the listing more detailed in that you'd be pretty sure it was complete and wouldn't they have the know how to take good calculated risk on powering it up or know its got problems to not try.

I thought something so sort after would warrant a closer look by a dealer or am I missing something here?

I agree. They obviously don't seem want to spend  time on it which seems fishy to me . On the other hand, it might simply be a case of they won't make enough profit if they spend tech hours on it  !@#
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:36 PM »

+1
I saw this listing this morning and thought the BH looked good but "not working" smells fishy from a dealer. If it was a minor issue, the dealer would surely get it 100% and sell it at a much higher price.  Something not right here IMO.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »
I bought a Space Station from this dealer some years back... same sort of listing.. unknown working condition etc.
Machine was in great condition and I had one minor fix to get the playfield to light up green.. other than that it worked perfectly.
Was a great buy!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
I bought a Space Station from this dealer some years back... same sort of listing.. unknown working condition etc.
Machine was in great condition and I had one minor fix to get the playfield to light up green.. other than that it worked perfectly.
Was a great buy!
ok then this leads me to my next point which is, why the would a customer pay premium prices from a dealer if their tech expertise would seem pretty ordinary. I thought buying from a dealer is to give a customer confidence in their purchase or again am I missing something? Why pay top dollar if the seller is guessing like a non tech home seller.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »
um .. it was a 99cent auction?   hard to beat that.

I find one problem with the dealer... every time i go there another machine seems to follow me home.   Last time it was a medusa I didnt know I wanted.   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:56:51 PM by wiredoug »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:44 AM »
[ok then this leads me to my next point which is, why the would a customer pay premium prices from a dealer if their tech expertise would seem pretty ordinary. I thought buying from a dealer is to give a customer confidence in their purchase or again am I missing something? Why pay top dollar if the seller is guessing like a non tech home seller.

It's a System 80 - takes care and skill to make them good and bullet proof, well beyond this and most dealers in my experience.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:23 AM »
Was a great buy!
ok then this leads me to my next point which is, why the would a customer pay premium prices from a dealer if their tech expertise would seem pretty ordinary. I thought buying from a dealer is to give a customer confidence in their purchase or again am I missing something? Why pay top dollar if the seller is guessing like a non tech home seller.

Customer confidence that you speak of does not stretch beyond DMD machines. I'm generalizing here, but from my experience, dealers focus their market on DMDs because the profit margin is high and the the technical expertise on pre DMD machines is very poor. It has been this way for many years. A key point to remember is that older games need more work and traditionally, the profit margin is not economically viable. It makes business sense from the dealer's point of view. It is interesting to note that some importers like to dabble in the older games, but quickly find out that it is very difficult to justify spending the extra time and money for a low return.

The Black Hole in the auction appears to be in VERY good cosmetic condition, and that's what would have appeared in the supplier's photos. The technical issues will only be discovered once the game lands, and the in-house tech can evaluate it. If the in-house tech is not technically proficient in this platform, then it gets passed on as a "project". That's the key here - is it listed as a project. So it could be a 5 minute fix or a badly corroded boardset.

Do your homework and you may end up with a bargain. There are Pascal boards and Gottlieb parts available from the local supplier at www.rtbb.com.au

There's a place in the market for project machines. It is a "win" for both the sellers and buyers.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
Was a great buy!

Customer confidence that you speak of does not stretch beyond DMD machines. I'm generalizing here, but from my experience, dealers focus their market on DMDs because the profit margin is high and the the technical expertise on pre DMD machines is very poor. It has been this way for many years. A key point to remember is that older games need more work and traditionally, the profit margin is not economically viable. It makes business sense from the dealer's point of view. It is interesting to note that some importers like to dabble in the older games, but quickly find out that it is very difficult to justify spending the extra time and money for a low return.

The Black Hole in the auction appears to be in VERY good cosmetic condition, and that's what would have appeared in the supplier's photos. The technical issues will only be discovered once the game lands, and the in-house tech can evaluate it. If the in-house tech is not technically proficient in this platform, then it gets passed on as a "project". That's the key here - is it listed as a project. So it could be a 5 minute fix or a badly corroded boardset.

Do your homework and you may end up with a bargain. There are Pascal boards and Gottlieb parts available from the local supplier at www.rtbb.com.au

There's a place in the market for project machines. It is a "win" for both the sellers and buyers.

What's the value difference with the animated backglass vs non-animated?
The animated looks better