Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2276 times)

Offline mickeyboy52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
Hi Everyone, Mike here. Well I've wanted a pin for about 40 years now but like everybody else had to raise a family and pay off the mortgage. That's all done now, so here I am retired with nothing to do with my time. I have a large collection of LP records but I can only spend so much time there. I'm not a fisherman and I detest golf and I hate gardening with a passion. We've travelled a bit but you still have to come home eventually.
So I would like to buy a couple of pins - preferably new. I can see myself playing them with my son and grandsons over a couple of beers. Possibly later on I would like to restore a machine but for now I'd like to relive my teenage passion.

Here's where you guys come in!

I am coming to you as a complete novice, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Mike

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:04:13 PM »
 $!& & Welcome, Beer  #@#

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
 Howdy

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:18:11 PM »
Welcome Mike and good to hear you are also reliving the good old days. There is nothing quite like the magic of the silver ball.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
Howdy Mike, welcome to Aussie Pinball!

New machines are pretty much limited to Stern games, so as I am not a massive fan, I'll leave it to others to comment on Stern games.

For the price of a new Stern (which are a bit expensive IMO) there are some other good alternatives to consider (along with some more recent but not new Sterns), such as a restored late model Bally/Williams game for example, some of which can be had for a lot less money but if restored by a collector, are generally just as reliable.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
Go and play as many machines as you can and find out what is fun for you to play

You may have fobd memories of a game you played as a teenager, but it is probably boring compared to something newer

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »
Welcome and enjoy

as for pin selections, a few options,

New - currently only Stern who release 2-3 different games a year, then Spooky Pinball will be releasing 2 very soon (one will be a Zombie and the other a Ghost themed both with a bit of humour), then Heighway Pinball in the UK will be launching their new motorbike racing pin as well very soon. JJP has the new WOZ but a bit of a issue bringing them to Aus (with lots of people still in limbo with deposits / full payments taken and no game).

Restored - 2 businesses to check out APR and HRP
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=93.0

APR will restore older and newer dmd's pins to a beautiful working condition
HRP will restore mainly dmd's better than new with his special style

Feel free to ask questions as many people won't mind helping.

Where do you live then people can advise options for finding pins?
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »
Thank you all. You have given me a lot to think about!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
Go and play as many machines as you can and find out what is fun for you to play

Good advice there. When you have a game or two that your interested in then post here again and let us all know as you'll be sure to receive plenty of good advice on the specific games your interested in. Particularly any issues which maybe common with particular game titles and not to mention price. Once you have 20 posts up you'll be able to view the for sale section on here as well.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
 %)%

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
Do not limit yourself to one "must have' game
have a list of 5 or 6 machines that interest you, then you can wait until one of them pops up for sale

also, do not think that a game has to be expensive or fully restored for it to be fun
I have just as much fun from a $2000 machine as I do from some of the more expensive games
dings and scratches add tot he character of a machine! ;)

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
Once again, thank you all for your replies. I can see your point of shortlisting a number of machines, going into used machines etc. I am totally ignorant of this hobby but would like to learn ( what's a DMD?) As I live on the north coast, nsw, there are very few machines available to play and I don't know of any servicing facilities in this area.
There are so many machines to choose from it is quite overwhelming. Guess I'll have to go to the cities to find out more.

Thank you again for your time. Mike

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Welcome to AP Mike . 'DMD' is an abbreviation for Dot Matrix Display .. games from early 90's onwards .

Do you enjoy restoring things ?
If so, with a lot of time on your hands a game needing some TLC might also be worth thinking about , along with something else you can play .

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
 $.$ Mike and  %)% to AP

If you want to relive your youth there is no better hobby than pinball. Take your time, do plenty of research and don't impulse buy. Ask tons of questions, and play as many games as you can before narrowing your search.

www.ipdb.org is a place to start looking for pictures of game to jog your memory !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
Heaps of good advice here already.  Most importantly for me is to take your time, do as much research as possible and keep asking questions.  Many of us have been ripped off or taken for the proverbial ride when it came to buying our first machine.  It was after that when we had to start fixing things that we stumbled across forums such as Aussie Pinball.  So already you are a massive step ahead of most new guys to the hobby.

You have waited 40 years so another few months won't hurt.  Shortlist the type of themes you are interested as well as whether you want all the bells and whistles i.e. a DMD machine or more of a classic style machine, these being EMs (electro mechanical) and SS (solid state electronic machines).  Don't forget to see what your son and grandkids like as well.

Also be very prepared to fill your allotted room with machines.  They tend to breed very easily and very quickly once the bug has bitten.

Best of luck with it and keep asking questions.
Addicted to pins.