Author Topic: Fast Draw - Part Playfield Vinyl Overlay - Project  (Read 1337 times)

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Fast Draw - Part Playfield Vinyl Overlay - Project
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
I have started a resto on a Gottlieb 'Fast Draw'. Currently I'm in the process of cleaning up the playfield which is in need of repair due to substantial wear which is mainly on the top half of the playfield. I have successfully repaired small areas on other machines in the past using acrylic paints, however found matching colours can be a real pain, so this is what I have planned to try for the 1st time.
I own a wide format Roland cutter/printer and I am able to match ink colours on the playfield using Pantone cards & CMYK codes/colours in my CAD software. Colour match when printing to white vinyl is a near perfect match.
So, here's my process:-

1. Photo taken of the playfield using a 18mega pixel camera. Ensuring that the image taken is straight on, as the image scale will be distorted if taken on any angle.
2. Import into CAD software and create a file.
3. Take some dimensions directly from the playfield to check if the image is not distorted and scale is correct.
4. Draw and trace the existing artwork and layer in the software where necessary.
5. Print off a draft onto tracing material to place over the playfield to check correct placement of all artwork. Some minor adjustments will need to be made, then print off a 2nd draft and recheck.
6. Select the correct Pantone colours in the CAD software for printing the artwork onto the overlay vinyl.

This is where I'm up to at this stage. I will post an update when the final overlay is printed and adhered to the playfield. I have placed a link below for those who are interested to see the process.

http://www.oldpinballs.com/fastdraw.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:38:20 PM by oldpins »

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Fast Draw - Part Playfield Vinyl Overlay - Project
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:44:05 PM »
I look forward to this thread! have always wondered why I haven't seen more of this overlay approach!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »

I think it is an interesting approach to playfield restoration. But you still have to level off the areas that you will install the overlay. I think the CAD drawing would be useful after you have finished your project to create masks for airbrushing complete areas. So there is a dual benefit to your work.

My Fast Draw was so bad I had to buy a new playfield.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »
Sounds interesting Greg, look forward to seeing the results

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
Good work so far  ^^^

I've used this type of approach in the past doing pf restores, these days i only use an overlay/decal as a last resort if the art is too complicated to try to repaint.

My Harlem Globetrotters i bought recently as it has some NASTY wear on it!! an overlay is one option i'm considering for that pf.