Author Topic: New Pinball Part - Hexagon Post Wire Restraint  (Read 14795 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
New Pinball Part - Hexagon Post Wire Restraint
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
On working on the Star Trek Asteroid mod I was thinking what is a neat way to restrain the wires that come out from the light fixture down the post and to where ever it goes.

I wanted to avoid cable ties as yes it is the industry standard but it just lacks a little class. Therefore I had an idea of a slide on clamp that fits the hex post profile so it does not spin which means you will have to do some partial dis-assembly and re-assembly. But what you get is a permanent colour co-ordinated post clamp that allows you to clip in wires and also remove = meaning no more cable ties. The cable space allows for 1 or 2 x 2.4mm dia wires and I can make these in black, grey, silver, white, semi transparent white etc if you want to get colour coordinated with you machine - I think silver will blend in to the hex post the best. I know alot of machines have the hex post and in some spots wires run up the post and of those Stern machines have alot of spotlights mounted off the slings right in your visual zone and the cable ties just look a little unsightly.

Check out the images below of where it goes and how the V1's turned out. V1's are functional but need a fraction bit of fine tuning to tidy it up looks wise (round off the edges etc). Yes the same test fluro yellow but just got some grey filament this morning so will do a V2 later.

I have also opened a shop on Shapeways Shop where you can select from many materials and colours so prices are from $2.40 through to $30 each (polished brass) but you do pay for it and freight is a little tough on the Aussies.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Dutch-Orange

But for the Aussies I can do a deal of 10 to your door for possibly around $30.

I am interested to hear peoples thoughts if they would use them and what colour would be there preference and go from there.

Cheers

Jady
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:59:30 AM by Strangeways »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: 3D Printed Pinball Parts - Hexagon Post Wire Clamp
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
Great idea Jady.  I can see these as being one of those, "why didn't I think of that" items.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
They look good.  I'm guessing something like Silver to match the hardware they are attached to will be popular.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
I loaded up the grey PLA which is a little dearer because it is from a different company but boy what difference in quality - loving the printer....

ok silver won't be in the country for 2 weeks so it will be a little while on those but the dark grey does look good. I made some adjustments - rounding edges and now 6mm in height as opposed to 5mm due to the new rounded edges and fits great. It is designed for a hex post that is 7.2mm across the flats which seems to be pretty common with the Bally, WMS and Stern hexagonal posts. The material has a little flex in it to squeeze a wire in without damage and holds it's position.

here is the update of the design and assembly, with then some photos to follow.

as for the price, I am making a small run now to send out as samples for a few people and then host a little comp later tonight for 2 people to win some to try and report back. After I run this batch of this design Version 2's I will have a better idea of price and let you guys know.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:11:58 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
some photos of version 2's, almost like lego

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
It is designed for a hex post that is 7.2mm across the flats which seems to be pretty common with the Bally, WMS and Stern hexagonal posts.

I made a mistake measures 6.2mm across the flats or a fraction under 1/4".

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »
Very nice, Jady. Sometimes it is the finer details that make all the difference.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
Looking forward to seeing silver! Great little idea Jady!  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
There brilliant Jady you should sell heap of them.  Let me know when your ready to sell ill definately buy a few

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »
Compared with cable ties I'd say -

Eco friendly in that they are reusable over and over again.
Quick and easy to install and/or remove
Look professional

I am not sure if there is a need for this idea on other machines but would it be possible to make another version that basically clips onto the edge of a plastic or slides over the edge of a plastic and has the wire holder underneath or alongside it for applications where there are no posts to tidy the wires up with?  Being plastic, it shouldn't scratch the crap out of the plastic artwork and again can be reused and removed or moved quickly and easily.
Addicted to pins.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Update - need some help so I have got some give aways for your assistance.

What I need - measure check across the flats of a hex post just to make sure they did not change over time.

Giveaway Rules
- take a measurement of the hex post across the flats (not diagonal points) of a Stern (Slingshot), Bally and WMS and post the dimension
- post a pic of the Stern Slingshot area of Bally / WMS that you will use this - ensure this is the area that you measured

What do you get
- 4 of these cable restraints sent in the mail to you tomorrow at no cost and a big thanks for helping this creation develop and a discount from the first selling batch.

3 Winners
1 for Stern
1 fot Bally
1 for WMS

and if anyone posted really close in time to another of the same brand (say with in 10 minutes), I will look after you as well.

Thanks in advance

for pinball t-shirts

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
Umm not really that surprising, measured Tron (stern) and Revenge from Mars (bally) and both were exactly 6.2mm

My BSD (williams) also has 6.2 mm posts though no lights on them so little use on that machine..

dirty

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:07:11 PM by joele »
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
Awesome idea mate, they look very professional.  While i would love a toy like your printer, not sure i have the creativity to make and draw this sort of stuff...  Top effort.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »
thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.

Thanks for the measure up Joele, much appreciated so a set of 4 coming to you - can you pm your address please and will mail tomorrow.

Cheers

Jady

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
2 more sets available before lunch and then I will send all the packages out.

I should correct you only have to document and photograph one machine not multiple like joele in his generous efforts.

I have posts from a torn down whirlwind playfield and measured my creature and they are both 6.2mm.

for pinball t-shirts