Author Topic: Still Looking!  (Read 5703 times)

Offline mickeyboy52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Still Looking!
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
Yep. Still looking for my first pin. Have my eye on a Getaway. Seller wants $2500 for it. I haven't seen it yet as it's quite a distance, but he assures me it's in really good nick. Would appreciate any feedback on the game and value for money.
Thanks in advance, Mike

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
Re: Still Looking!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
To help you get your head around it ... swap 'getaway' for 'used car' in your above post and use appropriate care.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
The machine is worth what you are willing to pay. Don't be influenced by the first machine you see for sale. Take your time, look around and inspect as many games as you can. Ask questions on the forum and don't buy on impulse. I have NEVER heard of a good outcome via an "impulse buy" other than for the the seller.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »
Well I had a look at this Getaway High Speed 11. Played well. Sound system worked well. No wear on the playfield. Translite looked good. Few scratches on the cabinet - nothing major and a bit of wear around the flippers. One side slightly faded from being in the garage.Front could use some attention: door needs re-spray. Surface rust on the legs. Had a dozen or so globes out was about the worst I could come up with.

What do you all reckon?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
Popular game and great choice.

I would not be too concerned about the cab (other than water damage).  Cabinet artwork is available for this game.

Playfield wear is some times a problem, unless you're happy to touch it up yourself or get a pro to fix it.

All comes down to price.  HS2 is one of those that one year it's fetching good money - ie $2500+ and other years its an $1800 to $2000 for one in great nick.

Door, globes and cleaning of legs is the easy part.

Probably not the best time of year to be looking as prices always seem to go up.  Feb onwards they tend to drop.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »
 If it has no playfield wear or broken plastics and is in good shape, that price isn't too bad, I would try to get him down to $2000
It is a very cheap game to shop out as it has steel ramps, basically tear down replace rubbers, pop bumper assembly's, rebuild flippers, star posts and coils sleeves.  Definitely was the easiest and fastest of my games to restore.
A fully shopped and decaled one should fetch $3000 -$3500 you can't go too far wrong.
Very popular game as most people can remember these, every fish and chip shop in Australia had one  *)*

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
Well I made what I thought was a generous offer. He called me back a couple of hours later to tell me that he sold it for $2600 - $100 more than the asking price!

Having acquired quite a nice colection of LP's over many years has taught me patience. I'm calling on that now.

Will keep looking.

Thanks again,

Mike

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:04:31 PM »
Hi again. Rang a guy this morning about a Lethal weapon 3. Translight, playfield, cabinet all in good nick. Couple of the plastic covers over bumpers/ targets have cracks around the screws and there are some decals missing and or worn. Apparently, the machine in general plays very well.
If I can get it for under 2k, would that be reasonable?  Would a manual be found online?

Once again, Thanks in advance.

Mike

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
Manual here...
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Lethal+weapon&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1433

Hi again. Rang a guy this morning about a Lethal weapon 3. Translight, playfield, cabinet all in good nick. Couple of the plastic covers over bumpers/ targets have cracks around the screws and there are some decals missing and or worn. Apparently, the machine in general plays very well.
If I can get it for under 2k, would that be reasonable?  Would a manual be found online?

Once again, Thanks in advance.

Mike

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
I wouldn't pay any more than 2000 for it

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
Is the blue dome on top intact/present? No replacements for these as far as I know.

No shortage of Lethal Weapons from European container pin imports. Every container I have seen has had at least one (if not more) in them.

$2k maximum if the dome is there and intact and all other aspects of the machine are sound, i.e. 100% working.

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »
Thanks again everyone. No blue light. Couldn't tell about the diagnostics as he'd lost the key. Think I'll give it a miss.

At least I've bought a couple of decent records lately- Yardbirds and the Saints.

Thanks again
Mike

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
Thanks again everyone. No blue light. Couldn't tell about the diagnostics as he'd lost the key. Think I'll give it a miss.

At least I've bought a couple of decent records lately- Yardbirds and the Saints.

Thanks again
Mike

With Jeff Beck?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
Where about are you located ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline mickeyboy52

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
Actually, this one does feature Jeff Beck, but I also have some with Clapton and Jimmy Page as well as a box set.

Strangeways- I'm sorry I don't know the correct procedure to reply- I live in Coffs Harbour and there is very little pin action around here. I am a full time carer for my wife so I can't always co-ordinate inspections etc.

Thanks, Mike