Author Topic: Quad Speaker and Amp mod for Band pins  (Read 8197 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Quad Speaker and Amp mod for Band pins
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
My only concern (for you) would be the Marshall license to do this.

Sorry, but it's a quick way to court....just sayin'....
MM

yeah I have been thinking about it and I did write to them proposing that when the Marshall logo is printed any earning go to them just for the logo (from Shapeways)

Call it a "Sheriff"

might have to do that.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
Call it a "Sheriff"
...or a "Marsha".... ("Marsha Marsha Marsha" would be good for a Brady Bunch pinny  ;-)

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Quad Speaker and Amp mod for Band pins - NAMES ???
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 10:11:58 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Amplification

did a little looking and curious what you guys think

from Marshall wiki
After a successful career as a drummer and teacher of drum technique, Jim Marshall first went into business in 1962 with a small shop in Hanwell, London, selling drums, cymbals and drum-related accessories; Marshall himself also gave drum lessons. According to Jim, Ritchie Blackmore, Big Jim Sullivan, and Pete Townshend were the three main guitarists who often came into the shop and pushed Marshall to make guitar amplifiers and told him the sound and design they wanted.[2] Marshall Ltd. then expanded, hired designers and started making guitar amplifiers to compete with existing amplifiers, the most notable of which at the time were the Fender amplifiers imported from America. These were very popular with guitarists and bass players, but were very expensive. The three guitarists were among the first customers of the first 23 Marshall Amplifiers made.

Other brand names Marshall Amplification had used for various business reasons included Big M (for the then-West German market), Kitchen/Marshall (for the Kitchen Music retail chain in North London), Narb (Ken Bran's surname spelled backwards) and CMI (Cleartone Musical Instruments). Amplifiers sold under these brand names are quite rare, and sell to collectors at high prices.[6]

What do people think of the following in a similar Marshall font
Hanwell - birth place of Marshall speakers
Big M - brand name once used - do a search and it doesn't come up
Narb - brand name once used

Hanwell Quad Speakers could be the go
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:21:22 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline BuzzMoo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
Hanwell is good and would has a similar form-factor to the word "Marshall', so I'd go with that. "Cleartone" out of CMI would also work.. I don't think that'd be in breach of anything.

I'm no lawyer but isn't there a fair use and hobbyists thing....? I was under the impression that if you're using the likeness of a significant brand in some form of fan-tribute, ie for no commercial gain whatsoever, you should be all right. Also, if in the unlikely event they found out, your intentions are made clear in this thread...you're doing this because you respect the brand, not because you're trying to make money off it! And now that I think about it, they probably have a limited edition Metallica in the Marshall office and if they do see this, they might think it's awesome and order one :pp

But I really don't know what I'm talking about here..

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »
Hanwell is good and would has a similar form-factor to the word "Marshall', so I'd go with that. "Cleartone" out of CMI would also work.. I don't think that'd be in breach of anything.

I'm no lawyer but isn't there a fair use and hobbyists thing....? I was under the impression that if you're using the likeness of a significant brand in some form of fan-tribute, ie for no commercial gain whatsoever, you should be all right. Also, if in the unlikely event they found out, your intentions are made clear in this thread...you're doing this because you respect the brand, not because you're trying to make money off it! And now that I think about it, they probably have a limited edition Metallica in the Marshall office and if they do see this, they might think it's awesome and order one :pp

But I really don't know what I'm talking about here..

Just go with a look alike that is not the actual name- kinda like the Fresher guitars that came out of Japan diluting the lawsuit era. They made a great Les Paul copy but when you look at the script logo instead of Les Paul it said Leo Pine.

They still might get ya for trademark infringement but the chances are probably small.

Z

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Why not call it SWINKS. It looks like a speaker I'm pretty sure no one will take much notice of the brand. It does need a label on there tho. Find a nice font. And call it SWINKS.
HOS

Offline rustalan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
Call it an Outlaw  %.%

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
some sample placement photos in related pins

AC/DC - only 1-2 possible locations - 1 pictures and you could slide a fraction down and use the mod flashers to also light up through speaker holes

Metallica - on the back of one or both ramps

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
4 more

AC/DC - note: not enough room for the amp

Met - speakers and then speaker and amp

apologies my good camera started playing up so had to use a point and shoot number

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
I opted to be unique and go with a bit of history and use the town name where Marshall started with their first shop to avoid any legal issues.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
Nice. They look great. Top job.
HOS

Offline BuzzMoo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
Yep that looks pretty good! I don't think it loses out doing it this way, plus its got the bonus of having some real Mashall trivia about it. Nice work!