Author Topic: Quad Speaker and Amp mod for Band pins  (Read 8166 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Quad Speaker and Amp mod for Band pins
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »
Here is a mod I have been working on and went through a number of versions of the 5-6 weeks.

It is designed for those that like mods that have a music / band pin like - AC/DC, Metallica, GnR etc.

It is my version of the well known Marshall - Quad Speaker with the optional Marshall Amp. I have proven it works through 3D printing at home but I can't achieve the quality I want at home due to over hanging edges and the fine logo detail etc. This mod will be a purchasable item from Shapeways (3-6 parts) which will suit the US guys and with the Aus guys I can get a few and then on sell them but people will have to pay me first and be committed.

I have take the leap and ordered 1 full set of parts to be made and sent to me to determine if they can actually make it and that it all assembles correctly and looks good.

The beauty with Shapeways is that some of the parts can be ordered in various metals - which lets you customise your speaker.

The speaker cabinet, amp cabinet and speaker grill are all the basic glossy black but the personal touch is the Marshall Logo and the Amp's knobs and switches. I have ordered the logos in a polished SS and the knobs in a polished gold metal. What is also cool is that I designed this item to install real fine speaker cloth into the speaker so it looks real. I will leaving it to you guys to install where ever you wish and supplied a single hole in the base for mounting, but you can always drill a extra hole if required (carefully). In addition the speaker grill has the 4 quad holes and if you install a flasher inside this will project through the speaker cloth.

The size of the speaker mod is 55mm wide x 50mm high x 24mm deep
The size of the amp mod is 55mm wide x 20mm high x 20mm deep

You will be able to just buy the speaker parts and if you want to go for the amp as well you can. But once you install the amp into the top of the speaker you will not be able to separate them without having 2 holes as I designed it in a way that material presses out to insert the amp locator plugs.

Lastly - with the parts I have only put a small margin to cover my design time, BUT with the Marshall logo I did not assign any margin at all as I don't want to be making a sent of someones design, what you will be paying for is purely Shapeways manufacturing cost to make it which for SS is $6.38.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Quad Speaker and Amp mod for Band pins
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
here is the photo of the sample, but Shapeways quality should be nice compared to my attempt on this design. Also the mod will be black, just that I had dark grey PLA.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »
Looks good mate, how do you get around using the marshall logo without paying royalties?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
Looks good mate, how do you get around using the marshall logo without paying royalties?

I was wondering that myself. I was thinking you may not be allowed to use the Marshall logo!
It does look good though  *%*
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:22:25 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
mmmmmm technically the mod is not for sale yet so it is for me and I can just print them and people can request one from me at cost ????? !@#

It doesn't have the same impact without a logo of some type.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
mmmmmm technically the mod is not for sale yet so it is for me and I can just print them and people can request one from me at cost ????? !@#

Use care mate, I can't imagine Marshall being happy with that if they found out.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

You might need to be careful... some of the big names in musical equipment are pretty protective of their logos/trademarks  *%*
I know that with Fender, any guitar manufacturer who does copies of their Stratocaster or Telecaster guitars are forbidden to even copy the shape of the Fender headstocks now! They are permitted to copy the body/pick guard shape but must use their own headstock shape.

Might be worth trying to get Marshall's permission to use the logo  !@# the quadbox shape i'm guessing wont be a problem to use as nearly EVERY amp maker on earth has copied the slanted quadbox cab design at some time.

Having said all that though, i really like what you're doing with all these bits n pieces lately Swinksey.. keep up the great work  ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:49:52 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
ok I will take that on board and maybe come up with an alternative logo as it needs something but what can I run with, any ideas

- Noise
- Blastin
- Swinks  &&

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
ok I will take that on board and maybe come up with an alternative logo as it needs something but what can I run with, any ideas

- Noise
- Blastin
- Swinks  &&

I dont have any suggestions of a name but whatever you choose you could probably use the same style font as the Marshall logo.. you could probably get away with that ok  !@#

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:23 AM »
I could do a custom name version - like Swinks, Cow Corner etc in the Marshall font if I can find what font it is, and people pay me a small design fee but then the item but a cost only purchase price from Shapeways and I won't double dip.

Also I have written to Marshall to see if they will allow it or if they earn the margin on the Marshall Logo and not me - worth a try.

Here is a cool item - Marshall Speaker / Amp Fridge for the Games room.

http://shop.marshallamps.com/p/marshall-fridge

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
That isn't a "font". It was a custom hand lettering made into a font for them. 
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
That isn't a "font". It was a custom hand lettering made into a font for them. 

Yeah I ended up working that out, oh well, still up for a design / logo to capture the feel and look cool.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
got all the parts and yet again featured in a the wrong pin but gives you a feel. I chose a matt black material that they have and it has come up well I think and has real speaker cloth in it.

option 1 - just the quad speaker
option 2 - quad speaker and amp (note the amp is not press fitted into the speaker - once I do that no turning back so wanted to give the option to the person that opts to get this one.

curious what people think

for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
My only concern (for you) would be the Marshall license to do this.

Sorry, but it's a quick way to court....just sayin'....
MM

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »
Call it a "Sheriff"
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals