Author Topic: Black Line Restoration  (Read 455 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Black Line Restoration
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Replacing the black lines on any restore is a real issue. It can be done with a fine brush but it is touch and go as to wether the results will be satisfactory. Marker pens are by far the easiest way to do this but many dissolve and run once the CC is applied. I use a 2 pac epoxy CC which pretty much dissolves anything thats not compatible.
 From previous experiments i knew that the best pens to use were permanent water based products - problem with these though is that the tips are very fine - some 0.4mm which means that you have to do several lines to achieve the thickness required. This risks "feathering" around the edges as its hard for the hand to exactly follow its previous movements.
A visit to OfficeWorks has brought a solution.

CALLIGRAPHY pens - these are permanent water ink based pens and a packet of these has a range of tips from 1mm through to 4mm

Some scribble on wax backed paper and CC applied shows that with the right angle on the pen - any thickness line can be achieved and MOST importantly - IT DOESNT RUN!!!

So how do they perform on a painted surface??? Well a quick test on the Bank A Ball PF tells me that they perform perfectly... and at $17 for a pack of 4....you cant go wrong

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Black Line Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »
CALLIGRAPHY PENS who would have though  i cant wait to try some of these tips Thank again

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Black Line Restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »

It is funny sometimes that the most complex issues are solved with the simplest of solutions.

Who would have thought ?

Great tip, Gavin.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia