Author Topic: Working the priority list...  (Read 279 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Working the priority list...
« on: April 08, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
Today I passed a huge personal landmark! Many years ago I tore into my walls intending to redo things a little. I made some progress for a while, then my Dad passed away and I lost my gumption. It's been coming back slowly over time kind of, but I've been getting older too, complete with sore joints, deteriorating vision, loss of memory & erectile dysfunction, hehe (though some would say I've had that since waaay back #@#). I began to doubt it would ever happen.

So seven years go by ... (yea, seven years of staring at exposed wall studs & various house innards - every day, for seven years, in the whole front half of the house).
I got a few small things done, like hanging new tight windows and piddling with new wiring & such. Picked up the gypsum board several months back because the price finally came back down to reality and I wanted to get it before something happened (hurricane, fires, etc) to shoot it back up to the stratosphere.

So anyways, March 30 I dug in with both feet with a sense of purpose. Today I reached my goal, which was to have smooth, painted walls again and all the electrical working like it's supposed to, then clean up after myself. I have to add trim yet, but have chosen to delay that project for a later date (not too much later).

This quitting smoking thing works better than meth-amphetamine. I been buzzin' like bees wings for a week and a half. Sure feels fantastic to finally get this finished. Now I can shift to my next project, which is to ready various things for much-needed liquidation.

I'm pretty charged up! To bad I didn't apply this energy for these past few years. I'd be waaay ahead by now.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Working the priority list...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
This quitting smoking thing works better than meth-amphetamine. I been buzzin' like bees wings for a week and a half

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Think this comes with getting older, have found the same thing over the years.

Was going to finish the ceiling insulation in my gamesroom THREE years ago.

Was going to have the insides of the house finished by this Summer - only got 2 rooms done

Find I go through these stages on my games sometimes - at the moment I'm all charged but just as likely not to step foot inside the gamesroom for 2 weeks in a few days

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »
well done.
i suppose after a year of exposed beams and such you get used to it.
now that it's done do you almost go to walk through the wall because you are used to walking between studs not around  to get to the other room?
one of my mates had a similar situationa few years back, he had the wall down for about 2 years and used to go through instead of around to get to the bathroom which was off the next room. anyway on the night he finished he had a big piss up and was drunk as, he turned the lights out, went to bed and had to get up to spew so he went to run to the bathroom and turned side on to go through the studs that used to be exposed and bang straight into his new wall, he put a great big hole in it.
hope this doesn't happen to you.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
Think this comes with getting older

Could simply be the age by itself, but a compounding factor I find in my personal oldness is that I know how to do stuff finally. And of course, once I know how to do something right, I'm not nearly as interested in doing it as much.

I used to think up all kinds of cool things to do to the house. I'd sit around and brainstorm & pipe dream all the time. These days I'm satisfied with a dry place to sleep, indoor crapper, and temperature control takes it to the stylin' side.

Yea I must have got pretty used to the way things were after a while. Now that the front room is done, the adjacent room, which used to be the "nicest" one I had, looks like total crap. I'll give it a once-over and spruce it up a little and leave it at that for a while. I probably won't walk through any walls, but I do find that I have to get up and stare at the "new room" every once in a while, just to bask in the success I guess.

Oh, by the way...
One nice thing I did was install magic switches. It all communicates via the power lines and I can switch & dim everything with a universal remote. Pretty cool. Not really a big deal, but everybody seems pretty blown away to think of a house being remote controlled. The stuff is pretty easy and not very expensive. Even a slacker like me can hook it all up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:09:22 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »

Sometimes you just get tired of looking at the unfinished work - Its almost like it is not an issue anymore, but it is still there.

I call that a "garage".

But well done on your renewed enthusiasm, Vinito. I'm going through a similar experience - I've acknowledged "the problem" - Now I'm working on how to fix it !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia