Author Topic: GTB High Hand tickle up  (Read 1050 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
GTB High Hand tickle up
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
So, what did every one do for Australia Day 2014? Well I started  long overdue clean up of one of my old girls High Hand. NOT A FULL RESTO.
I have 2 other rests on the go too, 2001 GTB and a Dr Dude which I am trying to clear coat my self and keep stuffing up! no big del as I will get it right very soon now I have better equipment. Thanks SANTA  ^^^

Bit of history about HH, I bought this a couple of years ago and paid too much ( so I am told ) but still think it is worth it. It has been a welcome addition to my small but quirky/unique collection. I have not done much to this machine since picking her up apart from removing firkin lube from chime box plungers and other moving parts. Slight adjustment of some contacts were required also. I am stoked I bought this machine when I did and am sure my brother will enjoy it when I finish as I have run out of room and already has my Space Station.

Well time has come for a little bit of a tickle.

Condition report is
1.Backglass - 6/10 some flaking and red is gone, going to leave and do small touch ups before locking in with acrylic clear.

2.Cabinet - Well see for yourself, but I like an old looking cabinet, adds character and some one once said PATINA! All I am doing is cleaning, fixing, then maybe clearing the whole outer to prevent any further deterioration? adding some new chrome legs/ bolts thanks to Nino, a new repro shooter rod, coin front, new door skin. There is also some serious sweat damage that need to be addresses and some rust issues on metal work to be sorted. Some nice engraved initials in the back will remain.

3.Playfield - 9/10, this is the main reason I had bought this machine. Someone had done a lot of works and cleaned this gem up and then applied Mylar to lock in the great work, I love mylar as it really does protect the most valuable part of the pin. Others will disagree, but look at the play field after you remove it to clear coat! Why would,t you re apply on an old girl for home use? All I will do to this section is some slight clean ups/ repairs around the central kicker, shooter lane and add new repro ball arch, ball gateway and ball bounce thing in top archway.??? Finally a good polish and new ball. All plastics are bearable and targets etc. are in pretty good nick ( so far) Need to rebuild tilt mech and knocker as these have been disembowelled?

4. Play - 7/10 not too bad for a single player GTB wedge head ( can think of better ) but hey, as these are getting rarer and rarer, what ya gonna do? 16 Drop targets is always fun with the top ones being slightly more difficult and the bonus/special hole is a bit of a prick to get on a direct shot. Good card theme and typical block colours of the era with a sort of??? futuristic theme  %.%

Enough dribble, here is the photos.

If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: GTB High Hand tickle up
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »
more

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:40 AM »
more again

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:42:32 AM »
That's a nice example... the playfields on these tend to not hold up too well... main areas are above the flippers - most have wear on the mauve and around the bumper/ kick out as this really is a major part of the game and sees a lot of action.... yours is very tidy.
Ive been working on the stencils for this game, they'll be available in about a weeks time

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
So, what did every one do for Australia Day 2014?

Well i worked on pins of course  :D not mine unfortunately, my resto pile is getting bigger, work keeps getting in the way  ^&^
Doing a Solar City @ the moment for Cam (big dog).

Anyway back on topic, that looks like a nice project.. playfield looks really sweet, it should come up a treat  *%* *%*
Backglass looks pretty good also.

Looking forward to seeing the end result  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:47:45 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »

Ive been working on the stencils for this game, they'll be available in about a weeks time
[/quote]

Maybe at a let date. As it is probably going to my Bro's house, I don't want it too pretty t the moment

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
nice gottlieb card game ,lucky on that playfield condition it's a beauty. never played this table It''s gotta be a winner.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Nice looking playfield you have . Mine has the typical wear that Gav mentioned and is still waiting in the resto queue since I bought it in 2012 ?
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
Bit more on the cleanup, nothing to exciting but at least I have stopped the flaking of cabinet and back box by cleaning with shellite and a couple of coats of acrylic clear satin, till I do the cabinet respray( maybe )
Doesn't look too different, but I can assure you it is with a few new parts and some rust/rot attention and protection.
Should be good for another 40+ years  #@#

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
the results so far

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »
Love this era of Gottliebs, they tested your skills and perserverence like no other but the rewards were a turn-on. This was a very popular machine and I look forward to see her back to her former glory.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »

Awesome game. I have one in the resto queue awaiting Gav's stencils. The playfield is a mess, and it will be a massive challenge to fix, but it will look awesome when touched up and clear coated.

Your playfield is mint compared to the playfields I've come across.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
Love this era of Gottliebs, they tested your skills and perserverence like no other but the rewards were a turn-on. This was a very popular machine and I look forward to see her back to her former glory.
Yeah it is quite popular, I think they made quite a few.
This is about as good as she will look though( apart from stabilising and touch up of back glass) this is a PRESERVATION not RESTORATION.

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
Yep....a grail machine for me.  Great art and gameplay from GTB's golden age.

Sorry to hear the playfield torture goes on Nino. I have every faith and know It'll tun out well.

I saw the Hankins sticker on there. Was he an operator before he became a manufacturer?

Offline The Silence

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 12:10:53 AM »
Great work.