Author Topic: Kings of Steel clean up  (Read 14855 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Kings of Steel clean up
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
This is the machine I picked up before Christmas which was ear marked by its previous owner for the tip. With this machine I'm just looking to clean so that it looks decent again and it plays reliably. Before I started taking this game apart I had it working again but all connectors will be replaced and boards will be rebuilt before I'm done.

I didn't take many before shots but here's the front of the the machine when I first brought it home.
Note the front door and trims have seen better days.

Inside of the door.

I'm not sure why I always start with the door, I think maybe because when I did Flash Gordon the door was in a tenable state and it looked quite complicated so I thought I'd get it out of the way early.

Outside of the door, I've kept the original skin as it cleaned up well and re-grained nicely

Inside

The connector to the door was the first one I had to do because I simply couldn't get it apart. You can see the rust colour through the plastic where moister has gotten in.

New connector ensures this won't give me grief in the future.

That's it for now. Other areas I'm working on is cleaning up and rebuilding all of the assemblies and touching up the playfield art work. I'll up date again when I have something to show.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Kings of Steel clean up
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Looking forward to the next installment
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
Is that coin door decal aligned properly?

For a machine that was just going to get a quick clean and a few repairs it is already looking better than half of my machines.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
Is that coin door decal aligned properly?

Ha ha, I shouldn't have shown you that today. I found my spare sticker tonight so better luck with the next one I hope. Goes to show I shouldn't be let loose with cabinet decals, they'd end up upside down.  %.%

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:10:19 AM »
Very thorough and sparkling coin door!!  Very nice.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Very nice work ! You have become an expert at the doors.

The connector probably has coke or something like that which has bonded it together. Kids used to spill their drinks etc, and the door / connector would rust as a result.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
Amazing transformation on the inside of the coin door, what did you use to clean it?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
Very nice work ! You have become an expert at the doors.

The connector probably has coke or something like that which has bonded it together. Kids used to spill their drinks etc, and the door / connector would rust as a result.

Thanks, I don't mind tidying up these doors. It always nice to open them up and have them operate smoothly as they should, same with the lock down bar assembly. I always do these with the doors. Nothing worse than that gritty feeling when trying to release the lock down bar.

Amazing transformation on the inside of the coin door, what did you use to clean it?

Nothing too special, I basically just strip the door back to its smallest components and re zinc whatever I can. Anything else I clean with scotch brite pads and the Dremel with a small wire brush attachment to get into any hard to reach area. All screws get de-greased and tumbled, the black ones then get re sprayed black again. The wires get cleaned with windex on a micro fibre cloth and all cable ties are replaced as I go. I pretty much just follow the same formula  with all of the under playfield assemblies too.
Speaking of cable ties, it is unbelievable how many you go through when cleaning looms and replacing them. When I did Flash Gordon I brought a pack of 100 and thought that would kill it! They didn't come close and I lost count of how many packs I went through. This time I just brought a big bag of 1000 to save me the repeated trips to Bunnings.

Offline The Silence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »
Wow that door really makes the pinball shine.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
Hey mate, been Googling for relaxation (I need to get a life) I saw a kings of steel back glass. I just don't know where now. So if you're after one its out there, I think US ebay but not sure.

Ignore it was road kings sorry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:57:29 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Hey mate, been Googling for relaxation (I need to get a life) I saw a kings of steel back glass. I just don't know where now. So if you're after one its out there, I think US ebay but not sure.

Ignore it was road kings sorry

Thanks Rob,

I now have one, it's not perfect but it's more than good enough for this game. It looks 100% on the faded one in the first picture on this post.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »
Cleaning up some assembly's today and this target assembly is a beast of a thing.
5 stationary targets, 6 drop targets and 8 coils. It's pretty cool actually, the drop targets on this game can also be dropped by hitting the rollover buttons at the top of the playfield, that's why there's so many coils.

It's actually in pretty decent shape, not to dirty on the outside so I was hoping to just swap the drop targets over, replace the coil sleeves and give it a bit of a wipe without pulling the whole thing apart. It wasn't to be though and once I got into it was a bit greasy inside so it all had to be stripped down.

Not hard to clean just time consuming but I'm sure it will be worth it with better play once it back together.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:11:00 PM by Crashramp »

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
All back together again

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
Nice work.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
Well this project had hit a few hurdles since my last update. I had been repainting the playfield which was going ok until I tried clearing it but to cut a long story short it didn't go so well and at about the same time I picked up a project Fathom so I forgot about this one for a while.
Anyway I'm back into it now, thanks to a few people. Wiredoug, who had another playfield, Daniel (DDstoys) who dropped it down to Geelong and Tim and Stuart at HRP for restoring and clearing it for me.

Today I started repopulating the back of the playfield.

The playfield came up beautifully, I'll get some more photos of it soon.