Author Topic: My first pin  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Gorgonzola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
My first pin
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »
After signing up here a few months back, I've now got my hands on my first pin. I picked up a Getaway from Oscar (Pinball Memories) a few weeks back and am very happy with it. Both my partner and I have both played it heaps over the last few weeks (she enjoys it far more than I thought she would!).

This machine was a good choice for me as I wanted something that was fully working but could do with a tidy up. This way I can enjoy playing it while having a go at tidying up and improving individual bits as I learn how it works.

One thing I've learnt already after one weekend of getting my hands dirty is just how creative operators can get with dodgy repairs. My favourite one so far is the use of bulk amounts of solder to create the locking ring/nut that holds the power switch onto the metal enclosure it is attached to.

I decided my first job would be to replace the power cord as the original was starting to wear through in numerous places and had been squashed. While doing this I discovered that the main slow blow fuse holder has also had some dodgy repairs done in the past to keep it in place. As a result I can't get it back together again properly (the fuse is OK but I have no continuity across the fuse holder with the fuse present).

I've had a look online and can't find anywhere in AUS that stocks one the same as it. Before I take the chance on a similar looking product that may not fit, does anyone know where I might be able to find one? Mine looks exactly like the first one shown in the second picture on this spec sheet: http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/1711824.pdf (Pretty sure its part number '3453LF3').

Also I should mention that Oscar (Pinball Memories) was great to deal with and very helpful.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: My first pin
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
Nice first game, enjoy

TIP; take a lot of pictures of your game, after you take it apart the pictures will help you put it back together
you cannot take too many pictures

;)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
Nice first game, enjoy

TIP; take a lot of pictures of your game, after you take it apart the pictures will help you put it back together
you cannot take too many pictures

;)

Great piece of advice from Pete no such thing as too many pics

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Great 1st Pin, you'll learn something new everyday when working on pins  *%* all the best  ^^^

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »
Congratulations on the pin.

Have you tried Jaycar for the fuse holder?

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
Hey have fun with the pin. Nice to see in not the only newb !
If the fuse holder is crappy from previous repairs just replace it. Design has changed and if the retaining spring on the holder is worn out it could be dangerous.
Z

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. So far I've been quite disciplined with taking photos before I pull something apart. I'm sure I'll get over-eager at some point though :)

I'm going to check out Jaycar for the fuse holder tomorrow. They don't have one like it on their website, but I'm hoping they may have something suitable instore.

Zedman, yeh that's why I'm looking for a replacement. It looks like a previous operator had stuffed some string into the thumb screw top to effectively make the whole thing longer (probably to compensate for the spring no longer working very well). I'll fix it up properly.

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
Congrats on your new pin, nice game:)
Give www.element14.com a go

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
It's surprising how many people have bought a Getaway as their first.
I actually met a guy last night who bought one for his first pin and it was my first pin too.
Good fun game for novices I suppose.

Good on you for pulling it apart and having a go. ^^^
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »

Amazing how this title is often the first pinball to the collection (but never the last !). Oscar is definitely one of the "good guys" in the hobby / industry.

With regard to the power cable, you can simply buy an extension cord from bunnings and then snip the female end off. You may also need a 275V Varistor, depending on the circuit diagram. Make sure you know exactly what you are doing with the wiring. Active must be fused. I would suggest a "tag and Test" be done on the game after your work and the correct line fuse used.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:52:39 AM »
Getaway is a great pin in terms of being pretty easy to understand, but still challenging enough to keep you coming back for more.

I used to have one. Ended up using it to pay a guy to build 4 (smallish) bedrooms in our upstairs area. Still miss it every now and then!

Offline baoyar

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
Interesting! I am trying to figure out which pin to buy as my first and Getaway is near the top of my list. How easy is it in terms of teaching you how to repair pins? Are there other pins which are also good starting points for learning repair?

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
I just remembered that I should report back here to let everyone know how my search went.

Jaycar didn't have the exact same fuse holder. It's the right rating however it doesn't physically fit through the hole in the line filter box so I've had to mount it temporarily until I can track down something more suitable as a permanent fix. I replaced the power cord at the same time and as well as being safer it looks a lot less ratty on the living room floor too.

Strangeways, thanks for the tip. I needed up doing as you suggested with regards to buying an extension lead and cutting the female end off. I made sure I fully understood (and took photos of) the existing wiring before I started the replacement. I think I re-checked the photos and the wiring diagram about a hundred times :) The test and tag idea is probably a good idea for peace of mind though!

baoyar, I think it's a great game as like the others have said the rules are quite straight forward and easy to learn but still fun to come back to. All of my friends and family members who have visited recently are aways eager to have a go and often get hooked. As far as repairs go, like with troubleshooting most things, if you can work out how something works by doing some research online and in the manual first you can usually narrow the problem to a small area. Once you've narrowed the problem down to a small area is far less daunting to troubleshoot.

As an example, I turned the machine on recently and noticed a number of the lamps that make up the tachometer on the playfield were no longer working. Below was the process I used to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Note that I've hardly touched a multimeter or soldering iron prior to this and as a result it was very rewarding for me when I put it all back together and it was all working again.

- First up, I checked the manual to see what info I could find about these lamps. I noticed that the 5 lamps that I had noticed not working were all part of the same column in the lamp matrix.

- I then did some quick Googling to learn how the lamp matrix works. I then ran the lamp tests in the service menu to test the other 3 lamps that belong to that same column in the matrix and noticed that they too were not working.

- At this point, the problem was now narrowed down to a relatively small area. I then used the continuity test feature on my multimeter to work out which pins, wiring, lamp sockets, etc were OK and which one may be causing a problem. Some of the non-working lamps are mounted on a 10-lamp PCB and from testing each part of the circuit I could tell that there was a problem with the PCB but I couldn't put my finger on the actual problem.

- I then disconnected the wiring from the PCB pins and pulled the PCB out of the machine. I gave it a quick clean to remove years of dust and had a close look at it. Initially everything looked OK to my untrained eye so I started testing continuity from each pin to the furtherest point on the PCB and everything was still OK. I then looked closer at the solder on the pins themselves and realised that pin 8 looked a bit dodgy (the solder was cracked and there seemed to be a small amount of movement in the pin). I then realised that each time I touched the multimeter probe to the pin, it was shifting the pin the tinniest amount which allowed it to make contact and complete the circuit. I found that if I touched the multimeter probe to the pin really really gently and tested continuity from the pin to the through-hold on the PCB there was no continuity.

- I (nervously) desoldered the dodgy solder surrounding the pin and then applied fresh solder.

- Finally, I did one last continuity test across the pin and confirmed that it was all OK prior to re-installing the PCB in the machine, plugging it in and having a game with working lights.

Photos below:

Lamp PCB removed from the machine and cleaned:

Pin 8 on the far left has broken solder:

Pin 8 de-soldered and then re-soldered. I probably used a tiny bit too much solder and maybe a little bit too much heat but not bad for a newbie I reckon:

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »
Common problem and an easy fix !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Great write up and methodical approach to problem solving.

I clearly remember my first repair and how satisfying it was to nail it.

Fun times!