Author Topic: New to the hobby.  (Read 4003 times)

Offline baoyar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
New to the hobby.
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:23:46 AM »
Hi all!

I'll start off by saying that I'm totally new to the hobby. Unfortunately, getting actively involved has been a bit intimidating. I'm 25 - so I completely missed the pinball phenomenon as it happened - and I can't help like feeling like a bit of an outsider. Getting into it now is hard because everyone else has been playing pinball for 30 years, and I can't even nudge properly yet! I realise that I have a LOT to learn... and to be honest I can't wait to learn it!

Unfortunately pins aren't always easy to find, plus they ain't cheap to learn when you drain balls as fast as I do! So I am thinking about getting my own pin to practice on and learn how to play properly. Trouble is, since I never played many pins when they were popular, I really have no idea what kind of machine to get. Can anyone give me some advice to try and narrow my search? I've already decided on this so far:
  • Late 80s/early 90s machines appeal to me. These tables seem like a lot of fun and I like their styles.
  • A machine that won't totally destroy me! I was trying to play Spiderman (2007) recently but the outlanes kept eating my balls, which was frustrating since I haven't mastered nudging yet. Kickbacks and similar save features would be good!
  • Repairability. I understand that machines break all the time and I want to learn how to fix and maintain them properly. However as a newbie I don't want a machine which is incredibly hard to disassemble or impossible to find parts for.

Would really appreciate some pointers. Can't wait to get into pinball as a hobby properly and learn to play the real thing!

Thanks all.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: New to the hobby.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:35:04 AM »
Welcome - you have come to the right place for help on maintaining your machines (I say 'machines' - plural - hahaha).

Stick an add in the local neigbourhood paper 'wanted to buy' and put up notices on the board at BigW etc - I have had great success that way - I bought a Bally Space Invaders Pinball for $500 that way.

Also whack ads on Gumtree and any other 'local' type sites -

"wanted to buy - pinball machine - anything in any condition considered - no fancy prices please"

...or words to that effect - be patient and something will come along, doesn't really matter what it is as long as the price is right - you can repair it/trade it/swap it from there.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »

Welcome to Aussie Pinball!!

Games from the late 80's and especially 90's will generally have less issues overall as some of the earlier solid state games had board issues, and most will need upgrades of electronic and electrical items (such as replacements of pins/headers/connectors) unless the game comes from a collector who has done this work. An early 80's game that has been sorted can be as reliable as a later one.

As for not wanting a game that destroys you - I wouldn't worry too much. You will learn quickly enough, and things like outlanes are normally adjustable on the later games, so you can set them small (easy) until you get better, and open them up to increase the challenge as your skills improve. You can also increase things like ball save times and number of balls to give you more practice, and many other adjustments can be set to "easy" to make the game easier to master. Personally, I'd leave things at factory settings - the game will be at home and free, so just keep practicing!

Budget is usually an issue - there are a lot of less sought after games (Data East and Sega in particular), some of which are good players.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
 $.$ and  %)% to AP !

You have a whole new addiction to feed, and before you do anything - Don't impulse buy your first game. ASK lots of questions here.

There's a database - www.ipdb.org - these have almost all games recorded. so if there is a particular theme, year, toy or designer - they are all searchable.

Buying - Privately, from a collector is the safest way to get into the hobby. Keep away from eBay, as most are advertising their overpriced games. Some private sellers will have good deals, but most "play dumb" and the game could have issues.

After 20 posts on AP, you will have access to the trading section where members have their games listed for sale. There probably 10 - 20 games for sale.

I'm in the middle of setting up my new premises, so if you are local, you can come and have a look at some games.

A whole "new world" is about to open for you - take your time, ask many questions, and don't impulse buy.

Enjoy the forum !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
 %)%

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Hi and welcome. I am both happy and sad when newcomers join the pinball bug. Sad that you missed the golden era of arcades, happy that you are ready to appreciate the sights, sounds, smell and feel of pinball and arcade machines. You are kind to give some of us only 30 years of play. Some of the guys here are like The Rolling Bones and are closer to 50 years of play. All the better as there is a wealth of experience on AP that money can't buy.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
 %)%

Being a new member myself, I wish I had of joined years ago after seeing how great this forum is.

Its a massive learning curve and lots to look out for buying pinball machines, but most of all lots of fun  *%*

Ask as many questions as you can and read as much as you can about whatever machine your looking at.
The guys here at AP are very knowledgeable $%$ and a great bunch of guys  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Most Data East and Sega games are sought after these days, don't worry about that.
Some of the best games ever made, and almost every collction has one. Best value and not over-inflated prices like late model Ballys which can look great, but be snoozefests.

Be open minded about all manufacturers and u cant go wrong.
Welcome Aboard,
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
Most Data East and Sega games are sought after these days, don't worry about that.
Some of the best games ever made, and almost every collction has one. Best value and not over-inflated prices like late model Ballys which can look great, but be snoozefests.

Be open minded about all manufacturers and u cant go wrong.
Welcome Aboard,

Tough call.. late model BALLY have some of the best known titles there are.. pinballs most successful period was about 1992 onwards. Bally were king of the pile and for good reason, they made the most successful games, sold more and took more coin. Not sure how you come to the conclusion you do.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »
Welcome to AP!

If you want an accurate idea of a machines popularity (and subsequent demand) have a look at the top 100/300 lists produced by ipdb and pinside. They provide an accurate gauge of a machine's ranking along with feedback from a broad cross section of the pinball playing community.

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

http://ipdb.org/search.pl

As pinnies4me/retropin said, not a lot of demand for Sega and Data Easts compared to Bally/Williams.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:30:12 PM by pinsanity »

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
what state of aus are you in.locals are willing to help you out in any way. ^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
Welcome aboard Champ,
plenty of info & help here,
I'm thinking a nice Williams system 11 pin would be something to consider also, my opinion only here  #@#
Bally/WMS DMD B/C titles are also worth a look & well priced, Play as many pins as you can.  ^^^

a good info site on WMS  System 11

http://www.system11.org/

Offline baoyar

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »
Thanks for all the great replies.

Stick an add in the local neigbourhood paper 'wanted to buy' and put up notices on the board at BigW etc - I have had great success that way - I bought a Bally Space Invaders Pinball for $500 that way.

Thanks for the tip! Might do that and see if I get anything locally.

Budget is usually an issue - there are a lot of less sought after games (Data East and Sega in particular), some of which are good players.

I am definitely thinking of a late 80s/early 90s machine. Can you name which DE/Sega games I might like to look into?

You have a whole new addiction to feed, and before you do anything - Don't impulse buy your first game. ASK lots of questions here.

Will do! I certainly don't want to rush into it. Can't wait to peek at the trading section. Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm not local to Melbourne :(

If you want an accurate idea of a machines popularity (and subsequent demand) have a look at the top 100/300 lists produced by ipdb and pinside. They provide an accurate gauge of a machine's ranking along with feedback from a broad cross section of the pinball playing community.

Thanks for those links. I will definitely check them out! Being able to find which ones are good starter machines will be handy.

what state of aus are you in.locals are willing to help you out in any way. ^^^

Currently in the ACT, though may be moving to Sydney soon. Not quite sure who the ACT members are but when I figure that out I may ask to take a peek at their collections :)

I'm thinking a nice Williams system 11 pin would be something to consider also, my opinion only here  #@#
Bally/WMS DMD B/C titles are also worth a look & well priced, Play as many pins as you can.

Yes, I think a Sys 11 is exactly the type of style I am after. I will keep an eye out.

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:52:35 PM »
Hi all!

I'll start off by saying that I'm totally new to the hobby. Unfortunately, getting actively involved has been a bit intimidating. I'm 25 - so I completely missed the pinball phenomenon as it happened - and I can't help like feeling like a bit of an outsider. Getting into it now is hard because everyone else has been playing pinball for 30 years, and I can't even nudge properly yet! I realise that I have a LOT to learn... and to be honest I can't wait to learn it!

Unfortunately pins aren't always easy to find, plus they ain't cheap to learn when you drain balls as fast as I do! So I am thinking about getting my own pin to practice on and learn how to play properly. Trouble is, since I never played many pins when they were popular, I really have no idea what kind of machine to get. Can anyone give me some advice to try and narrow my search? I've already decided on this so far:
  • Late 80s/early 90s machines appeal to me. These tables seem like a lot of fun and I like their styles.
  • A machine that won't totally destroy me! I was trying to play Spiderman (2007) recently but the outlanes kept eating my balls, which was frustrating since I haven't mastered nudging yet. Kickbacks and similar save features would be good!
  • Repairability. I understand that machines break all the time and I want to learn how to fix and maintain them properly. However as a newbie I don't want a machine which is incredibly hard to disassemble or impossible to find parts for.

Would really appreciate some pointers. Can't wait to get into pinball as a hobby properly and learn to play the real thing!

Thanks all.

you seem to like the same era machines as I do. the new stuff I play at the local arcade doesn't have the same appeal as the older ones

Offline baoyar

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
you seem to like the same era machines as I do. the new stuff I play at the local arcade doesn't have the same appeal as the older ones

Looks like it! I don't dislike newer machines and try to play them whenever I come across them. However they have an extra layer of complexity which makes them tough as a first pin. Whereas older pins have simpler rules and don't seem to be as difficult to decipher.