Author Topic: where did you play pinball as a kid?  (Read 6036 times)

Offline rustalan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: where did you play pinball as a kid?
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
When I first discovered the joy of popping 10c in the slot and pushing the handle to make this shiny silver ball Appear was back in the late 60's. Don't even remember the titles but it was an upstairs Pool hall in Ringwood Vic. I used to leave Tech school on my Malvern star and peddle my way to the hall and played the half a dozen pins on site. Got to the stage that if my coins ran out to quick that sometimes the guys playing pool or even the owner would slip me a bob.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »
When I first discovered the joy of popping 10c in the slot and pushing the handle to make this shiny silver ball Appear was back in the late 60's. Don't even remember the titles but it was an upstairs Pool hall in Ringwood Vic. I used to leave Tech school on my Malvern star and peddle my way to the hall and played the half a dozen pins on site. Got to the stage that if my coins ran out to quick that sometimes the guys playing pool or even the owner would slip me a bob.

I remembered those old EMs back in the 60s and were a zac (5c) for a game. I used to push up all 5 balls and play them like a multi-ball not realising I was ripping myself off with the score (no memory banks). The most EMs in one room that I remembered was at the 1967 Royal Easter Show where they had about 40 machines. I can not remember any titles but I was like a kid in a candy store.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 09:07:14 PM »
Its funny that I've been playing pins / vids since I was tall enough to see onto the screen / playfield.  My whole life I can only remember ever seeing 20c games...Never a 10c machine anywhere.

When the DMD's came out, it was a $1.00 for a 3 ball game

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »
Its funny that I've been playing pins / vids since I was tall enough to see onto the screen / playfield.  My whole life I can only remember ever seeing 20c games...Never a 10c machine anywhere.

When the DMD's came out, it was a $1.00 for a 3 ball game

Yes, definitely 20c a game in the mid to late 70s and then went to 40c a game in early 80s.
I definitely remember playing old EMs at Luna Park and Royal Easter Show from 1966 where they were sixpence a game. It took about 2 years to completely convert to  decimal but I think 5c worked as it was same size as sixpence. One reason I remember is because my mates were always asking for a spare zac for the pinnies. Late 60s and early 70s also had 10c machines.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
My Hangout was a little known pinball parlour on the corner of Durham road and Sun Crescent Sunshine in Melbourne's west.
It was known as Charleys.
He had games like Bally's Lost World, Black Jack, Kiss. Williams FirePower, Stellar Wars, Flash and later Cyclone.
He had two bingo or as I called them "Money Machines" witch never worked the way it should.
In a back room he had a pool table and sum run down electro mechanical games that worked occasionally.  

The usual video games, Space invaders, Taito Speed Race and a game I was mad about was Road Champions driving sim.

Only thing I still have from this place is an old Cassette recording of me playing Firepower and the sound of other arcade games in the background.
20c a game back then and $2.00 would go a long way.

Those where the days...

Pinpal.........

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:16:43 PM by PinPal »

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »
This is a link to A road Champions arcade game I loved back in the 70s

Offline morgo

• Forum Posts:
  • lake macquarie NSW
  • wish i had a bigger shed
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
anywhere that had one
But early 80`s Toronto NSW had an amusement centre ( undercounter dope seller) , 2 cafes that had stuff( also good spot for dope)
wheni was about 12 moved to Teralba and the corner store always had pinnys and the latest video games. Centipede was hard to get  onto if you got there late.

What about Forster.  the colony, games people play and the one over at Tuncurry . these were huge in their day.
in Newcastle there was several places that came and went.

Sadly EVERYTHING ive listed is gone.

Offline morgo

• Forum Posts:
  • lake macquarie NSW
  • wish i had a bigger shed
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
someone mentioned 10cent games . the COLONY at forster had them along with some fantastic old amusements - as a small kid my favourite was the ten pin bowling game. wooden balls fist sized and a a lane 3-4 metres long long. the pins would fold down from roof of game. most of their games were old then, it would be interesting to find out what happened to them.