Author Topic: Leds on my Getaway Translite  (Read 383 times)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Leds on my Getaway Translite
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
Hi everyone I finally got around to installing Leds on my Getaway. The playfield is looking good with what I did so far but the translite is looking very bad. I am thinking it may need replacing but looking for some other opinions? Also if anyone knows where I can source one that would be good.

Here are some before and after shots of the back box

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Leds on my Getaway Translite
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
LEDs in backboxes always look terrible in photos so its hard to tell but if you try color coding the LEDs to the translight it could look better.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
Thanks. I will give it a shot when I get back as I am away from work. P.s I will get in touch with you in a week or so :)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »
The translite is a single layer print over a thin diffuser panel. Translites don't have nearly as much colour depth that a standard screened backglass does which is why they always look " milky" when put next to a traditional backglass.
The diffuser sheet on the translate is very thin and was made to suit a certain type of light.. in this case.. the amount of light given off by the traditional incandescent bulb. Along come LEDs and are able to give off more light for less power consumption.. that's what makes them efficient.. energy in compared to light output.
But now you have created  several problems..

LEDs are uni directional not multi and so focus the beam to a very narrow width compared to traditional bulbs.
 As mentioned before, the translite was designed for a certain amount of light to be behind.. you have just multiplied that amount quite considerably and so will " wash Out" the colours.
The distance between the translite and LED is not large enough for the light beams from the LEDs to cross over and create an area of light as opposed to lots of beams.
The translite is not thick enough to diffuse the LED light internally.
Quite simply... the translite is not designed to have LED behind it... so it begs the question why?

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »
Very informative Retro. 
As for the why?? Good question.  I guess I got caught up in the hype and started experimenting.  This is all a learning curve to me. The good part is that it is easily reversed

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
Very informative Retro. 
As for the why?? Good question.  I guess I got caught up in the hype and started experimenting.  This is all a learning curve to me. The good part is that it is easily reversed

Apologies if I come across a bit condescending.. its not my intention but its an issue we have in the sign trade also.. materials not designed for LED having lots of them placed behind.
You can try placing a sheet of deep opal acrylic behind the translate as that will diffuse the light more..and / or taking some of the GI LED out to lessen the amount of light.
Ive seen people in the sign trade blob clear silicon over LED strip to act as a diffuser and it does actually work quite well.
There is a new type of acrylic on the market for backlit letters... it has a speckle inside it to bounce the light around more. More than likely, future translites will be made from this new material.. but it aint cheap...yet!

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
fantastic insight. $%$
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
No need to apologize.  I appreciate the honest commentary and insight.

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
I have no dramas with wide angled LED's ?
Spots definitely look poxy, but when yo do LED a translite/ back glass, it can make them POP just like a play field.
Mind you, if you have any fades, cracks etc. the bleed through is horrible.
Try it! What do you have to lose.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »
Looks interesting, I have started to put sum LED's on my Williams Getaway as well, On the charger entry ramp, in the stop light and behind the police cars on the back box.
But I don't want to go crazy with it until I see what other people have done with there's and to see if I will like it or not.

Pinpal
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:38:41 PM by PinPal »

Offline flippnaussie

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
I don't mind the look of them where the lamps are on the side of the road, and the headlights of the car. It makes them pop out more and you pay more attention to what would be a light source.
I might have a play with mine and see how it looks also.

I have done my playfield all ready with LEDS from pinball centre in the UK. One of my posts has some pictures.

Simon.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
Re:
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Yeah I think I just need play around with them. I might do it tonight and repost

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
Finally did most of the playfield. I dont mind it at all.