Author Topic: 5101 ram seems cheap  (Read 312 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
5101 ram seems cheap
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: 5101 ram seems cheap
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »
Some interesting feedback for that seller and I didn't have to dig very hard:

Transistors 5 times weaker than original.

transistor J13009-2 is not working properly

BEWARE: FTDI Chips FT232RL are fakes. They DO NOT WORK !

Sells FAKE FTDI Chips confirmed by FTDI inc. www.atari8warez.com/fake.html

FAKE 4X TRANSISTOR RD15HVF1 NOT WORKING - FAKE MERCHANT

I would say these 5101 RAM should be OK though as I buy them for about $1 each so that's the right money BUT unless you are buying from a trusted seller (as I do directly from their shop in Shenzhen) then you have no comeback really if there is a problem.

With that said $10 is hardly a huge issue if there are problems with them or some of them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:52:32 PM by Homepin »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:35:56 AM »
The item location is also Shenzhen.  Same factory or are there numerous factories producing these in China?
Addicted to pins.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »
The item location is also Shenzhen.  Same factory or are there numerous factories producing these in China?

These parts are likely to be genuine Philips produced - God knows where, probably NOT China!!

There are literally hundreds of thousands of sellers like this one. I can take you to a markets area that is so large I can't describe it - maybe a square mile or bigger with 30 or so multistory buildings, one is 99 levels most others between four and 30 levels.

There are so many vendors you just cannot comprehend it EVEN when you see it for yourself. Most of us in countries like Australia simply have zero idea of the scale of things like this.

Shenzhen (the city) has a population of around 20 million (official estimates vary wildly) or basically the same as ALL OF Australia. It is about the size of 3 x Sydneys in land area. To say "they are in Shenzhen" is not relevant. Most westeners cannot picture the vast size of things like this as we have never seen anything like it - when seen it quickly becomes obvious why China is taking over the world in so many ways.

A single vendor such as this one will be operating from one small counter and have access to EVERYTHING available in the market - they won't have this RAM in stock as they don't have to. All they do is throw up 2000 ads on eBay etc listing anything they can think of and when you buy, the 'runner' goes to another vendor that will sell them the goods for the best price - simple as that. They are NOT a factory of any type despite how polished their ads are, just a small seller.

There are small "home" factories that refurbish I.C.s and screen print new numbers and details on the top - doesn't matter exactly what the chip currently is as long as the package is the same and the legs can be made straight. There is also a huge market for I.C.s pulled from junked electronics - these have the pins cleaned and straightened and are then usually sold as NOS.

I have learned most of this the hard way over the past 10 years and have my regular sellers I deal with who know they cannot trick me and simply don't try. I give them the list of what I want and they run around to LEGITIMATE sellers and get the stuff. I rarely have problems these days BUT still do occassionally.

Buying parts like this from a Chinese eBay seller is 100% pot luck.

The Homepin factory is an an outlying area of Shenzhen in a sub area with (a complete guess) around 200,000 similar sized factories. There are probably (another guess) about 100 areas around Shenzhen like this one. The sheer size of the place just cannot be described.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
Feedback info for those that might need some ram.
I just received my order of these, have tested some and they all work fine.
They are new.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
Great feedback ! I might grab a few  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »
Re quoting the first line of my long post:

These parts are likely to be genuine Philips produced - God knows where, probably NOT China!!

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 12:30:26 AM »
be careful what you buy off this seller
I bought a batch of "New" eproms off them and only 3 out of 20 would program.
I also bought "New" CPU I.C.s off them and they were refurbished, only 4 out of the 10 worked.
But then I have bought many other components off them and then they have turned out to be mostly fine (3 out of every 40 faulty, i can live with that)

If you do receive faulty components off this seller he will demand that you send it back as registered post and then send him the tracking number which will cost you more than the price of what you paid for items in the first place, I can understand this with the amount of people throughout the world that try and bullshit their way through life and get stuff off people on ebay for free.

With the faulty CPU's I contacted him and bought another 10 and they sent 4 extra to replace the faulty 4 but with the faulty eproms I had to open a pay pal dispute to get my money back, I was not willing to spend more than what I paid for the roms in registered post to get my money refunded (the cost of the return post would not have been refunded) 

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)