Author Topic: Build Log: DC Watchmen Widebody 46"/32"/XpinDMD  (Read 21108 times)

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Build Log: DC Watchmen Widebody 46"/32"/XpinDMD
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
Hi guys

I'm obviously rather new to this forum, been lurking for some time and only recently registered after my recent (and first) pinball purchase.
There aren't any virtual pinball build logs on this website and given i've been working on mine for several months now, i figure i'll contribute - there seems to be increasing interest in these things, so......

Cabinet
  • Own cabinet design, based on Williams Widebody dimensions
  • New black powder coated legs, adjusters and feet
  • New Williams side rails
  • 2Pack primed and painted cabinet
  • Custom Vinyl artwork - much thanks and respect to Stuzza
  • 2Pack cleared cabinet (inside and out) and over artwork
  • Corsair 4.1 sound system
  • Real coin door and service buttons
  • New Williams side rails

Screens
  • 46" Full-HD LED LCD Playfield
  • 32" Full-HD LED LCD BackBox
  • XPin DMD & PinDMD2

Electronics
  • Intel Quad Code i5
  • 4GB Ram
  • 120GB SSD
  • GTX460 1GB Video for Playfield
  • GT9600 for BackBox
  • 10x 24V Allen Bradley Contactors for feedback (Flippers, Slings, Bumpers)
  • Zebulon Booster Boards and misc other
  • LEDWiz
  • iPac
  • Williams Replay Knocker
  • Tilt Bob
  • 4x 120mm Blue LED PC Fans

The machine is still very much a work in progress with about a month or so of work - mainly installations and wiring before this thing comes to life.
In the meantime, enjoy the progress pics....but firstly, some up to date snaps :)

Build Log to follow in subsequent posts...

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
The machine was designed by myself in Solidworks based on dimensions i found on the net and verified against real machines.
Here we have a few images of the laid out parts on the CNC, ready to be lifted, sanded and put together dry (without wood glue at this stage - that comes later)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:48:13 PM by Sinbad79 »

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Mock-up assembly - the ease end beauty of CNC technology!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:52:31 PM by Sinbad79 »

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
Hi Sinbad
Great post      Stuzzas artwork is impresive   Im building one and also have gone for a  46 screen and a 32 back box which  should be good .

I have to ask how do you think you will go setting  it up   it can be quite complex   We have had our fair share of problems 

We have found PinballX to be more user friend  than hyperpin       I wish you good luck with the project and will watch with intrest     Howzat

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
cool artwork and will be watching with interest, thanks for sharing
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
That cab looks great, nice work.   ^^^

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
I already have hyperpin running, software side of this build is complete ahead of time. I've been contributing to the DX9 port of Visual Pinball over at vpforums so i'm all over that aspect. At this stage, i plan to run Visual Pinball and Fx2. Not much of a Future Pinball fan.

I knew ahead of time which theme i wanted to use for the cabinet, so i set out with this in mind and sourced the following

Side rails - black from JPD
Legs - either Mr Pinball or PSPA, dont recall which, sorry
Buttons - OzStick and Infinity Amusements

Shortly after ended up here....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:59:27 PM by Sinbad79 »

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Subwoofer test fit inside its housing, and playfield test fit along the routed grooves...perfect!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Nice work so far had visual pinball on my Mame machine and its great for getting the feel of a game before you shell out the cash.  Should be even better in a real cab

Offline Dozer316

• Forum Posts:
Looking very nice :)

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
Hi Sinbad
Thats looking really good  @@*   Between the p/field and lock down bar will there be a gap ?      If so would you use some type of apron or some perspex

I have a gap  in mine     Im interested to see your lock down bar as 46 play field is not a standard size   I DONT THINK            Howzat

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Its a widebody cabinet with a widebody lockdown bar....

Yes there is a gap, but i plan on getting some sheet metal bent up and powder coated to use in between, cross that bridge when i get to it.

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Here's a sound bite (and maybe the video too as it's kinda cool too) for ya. Maybe use short bites or for attract mode or none of it or whatever.
It's Alan Moore (the author, of course) narrating some of the Rorschach journal. The actor in the movie wasn't too bad, but when Alan Moore it's darker and just awesome IMO.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Vinito
thanks for that - yea awesome clip.
Such an awesome comic - the animated series is brilliant too.
Not sure what i'll do for attract mode yet - i was thinking along the same lines before you posted - thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Looking that up got me curious and I quickly found this clip. It's a very long clip and it's pretty much all Alan Moore talking about his early life and a ton of other stuff. That first clip is a snippet from this one.
I got about halfway through and it's pretty interesting and well-done. His sense of humor is right down my dark alley.

And I got to thinking, just for fun you could add a couple "easter eggs" which are soundbites or whatever from "V for Vendetta", which is also an awesome movie. I liked the comic series of it well enough, but that one is a rare case when the movie surpassed the book.

Your cabinet is AWESOME by the way. Great job so far.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.