Author Topic: Dirty relays.. Getaway you possum!!!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Dirty relays.. Getaway you possum!!!
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »
I got a game brought in to get going, a GOTTLIEB KING KOOL.. its been sitting in a barn for god knows how long and the rats and possums have decided its a nice place to visit in winter. The thing is filthy inside and absolutely stinks of possum and rat piss... smell is like wet cigars.. it bites into your nose.
Ive vacuumed it out but the inside relays all need cleaning as they have grime and urine all over them.
To do this, I could manually lift each one out and clean, but its time consuming and in all honesty, I don't want to handle the grime too much. So what I did was once again get my trusty steam cleaner out and give them all a blast. Steam has a temp of at least 100C and pretty much kills most germs on contact.
Anyway heres a video of how well the steam cleaner cleans the contacts... its a job that only takes a few minutes..

http://s488.photobucket.com/user/retropin/media/IMG_1166_zpsa578e1ef.mp4.html

Once this part is done, I used a garden type hand spray that has neat Methylated Spirits in it... meths also kills germs, evaporates very quickly and disperses water ( what a great product!)... I liberally sprayed the whole of the inside of the cabinet, starting under the relay board and then lowered it and then ALL relays, contacts etc.
Then I gave it a quick blast with the steam cleaner again to super heat the meths and really destroy any bugs and lift dirt.

Bottom relay board came up a treat and the whole thing was done in about 20 mins and perfectly dry in the amount of time it took me to warm up the soldering iron and attach a new mains lead inside.

Great tip for all those dirty filthy games we tend to pick up

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Dirty relays.. Getaway you possum!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »

Sure lifts the crap quickly!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
Great idea!
What steam cleaner do you have Gav?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
Great idea!
What steam cleaner do you have Gav?

$60 cheap arse one from Ebay.....

This will do the job, my wife borrows it also

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEAM-CLEANER-WITH-WHEELS-STEAM-CLEANER-SPECIAL-SALE-PRICE-/121340125672?pt=AU_Housekeeping&hash=item1c406f61e8
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:05:55 PM by Retropin »

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:40:17 AM »
did you wait for all the metho vapors to evaporate and dissipate first, or did you power it up and have the coin door blow open and knock your knackers into next week again like you did with the contact cleaner that one time. :lol

seriously though, great tip, they look like they have come up like new.   ^^^
I will be doing this my self when it is needed.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »
Wow- great result, i might have to grab one....still some more possum crud to get rid of in my shed!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »
did you wait for all the metho vapors to evaporate and dissipate first, or did you power it up and have the coin door blow open and knock your knackers into next week again like you did with the contact cleaner that one time. :lol

Don't laugh... I hate to say this but if set that contact cleaner on fire TWICE now! I was under the house working on a 1959 ROCKET.. used the spray and had the PF up. Just as my wife pulled into the driveway, for some reason, I hit the START button... click...click.. and then WOOF! Big ball of flame came out of the cabinet and up to the ceiling.
My wife came in shouting " What the f*ck are you doing"  as I was busy jumping around on the schematic that was on fire.

I don't use contact cleaner anymore...

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »
WOW that works well!! Might just have to get a steam cleaner myself  *%* *%*

Thanks for the tips Gav  ^^^
Could be just what i need for this crappy rat infested Data East Batman i have here for repair that i dont even want to touch!!

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »

Don't laugh... I hate to say this but if set that contact cleaner on fire TWICE now! I was under the house working on a 1959 ROCKET.. used the spray and had the PF up. Just as my wife pulled into the driveway, for some reason, I hit the START button... click...click.. and then WOOF! Big ball of flame came out of the cabinet and up to the ceiling.
My wife came in shouting " What the f*ck are you doing"  as I was busy jumping around on the schematic that was on fire.

I don't use contact cleaner anymore...
:

:lol :lol . I nearly choked on my coffee Gav ! Too funny  :lol :lol
I need more room ! and more $$$