Author Topic: BGRESTO Group Order - Expression of Interest  (Read 22946 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: BGRESTO Group Order - Expression of Interest
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2015, 12:23:52 AM »
Your post made me remember something fun and memorable from the past. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it might be interesting to some.
As a kid growing up, my father always used to say " It's only money".
I wondered for many years what he really meant.....
Was he being sarcastic, was he being serious.....what did he really mean ? I was about 14 years old.
He was a multi millionaire but he was also the biggest Scrooge in Australia and never gave me a cent ever. Nothing ever changed and I no longer see him and haven't for five years. Growing up I saw both the great sides and bad sides to money but it always intrigued me and was like a double sided coin. One side was fantastic and one side was the opposite.

My father always had plenty but he used to gamble and waste dozens of thousands of dollars in a single night and then he would work hard and earn millions as a wheeler dealer in real estate. He would have millions, lose millions, get it back, lose it all. A never ending cycle all his life.  Always a paradox, he spent in one night gambling what he would take weeks or months to earn, but would complain bitterly if the price of fish n chips was 20 cents more than what he thought it should be ! But blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars was quite acceptable. A complex person who had two personalities in one. Always left me with more questions than answers growing up.

To this day, his constant phrase "It's only money" has kept me entertained because I finally realised he was being both very sarcastic and very serious at the same time !

Lesson I learnt, there is a difference between spending money and wasting money.
The real life paradox being that if u feel good after a purchase, it's called spending. If u feel bad after a purchase, it's called wasting money. Lol

I have always felt any money allocated to pinball was most certainly enjoyable and therefore classed as spending money.
The next irony being, a lot of wives would call it wasting money !

Personally, if you work hard to obtain it like all of us do, who is to judge what you do with it after you have acquired it ? Lol

We are here to have a good time, and I have rarely seen a person step away from a pinball machine without a smile on their face. We all might say in jest that we are "addicted" or "obsessed" with pinball, but I say that's a good thing because in reality we are just all trying our best to enjoy the fun times in life, which are always well deserved because nothing really fun comes easy or without hard work.

I hope you enjoy doing up your machine. Seeing other members and friends happy is what it's all about.  ^^^

And don't forget "It's only money". Lol ......
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:27:23 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #271 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
....Good to hear from you re: your experiences with your Dad and his attitudes to money. ..... In my formative years my grandmother lived with us. She was the 'knowing' person when it came to money. .... A few of her gems: (and I quote) "When you buy something, always try to buy the very best one that you can afford. The pain of paying for it , you will only feel it ONCE. If you buy 'cheap', you will feel the pain EVERYDAY as it probably won't be much good."
 ....and from the same grandmother .... "Buy it once, ... buy it right."

I have tried to live by her wisdom and it has never let me down. When I have gone against her principles and tried to buy 'cheap', I have usually regreted my decision. .... and felt the pain for many days.

I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks. Mark

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #272 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
....Good to hear from you re: your experiences with your Dad and his attitudes to money. ..... In my formative years my grandmother lived with us. She was the 'knowing' person when it came to money. .... A few of her gems: (and I quote) "When you buy something, always try to buy the very best one that you can afford. The pain of paying for it , you will only feel it ONCE. If you buy 'cheap', you will feel the pain EVERYDAY as it probably won't be much good."

I have tried to live by her wisdom and it has never let me down. When I have gone against her principles and tried to buy 'cheap', I have usually regreted my decision. .... and felt the pain for many days.

wise person, what I like is the point about 'what you can afford'. Everyone can buy the best, but do you sell your soul or lose your house for it? My wife told me off once when I bought a cheap backglass which was off a bingo called ticker tape or something. She said, "and what significance does this have to do with pinball or what I'm interested in?". It had nothing to do with my childhood memories of pinball, or artwork I liked, so what a waste of cash. It sat in a cupboard gathering dust until I sold it for half the cost.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #273 on: April 27, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »

Thankyou for your kind words.
And your Grandmother was right. Quality is always worth that bit extra.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !