Author Topic: Bally Power Play  (Read 842 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Bally Power Play
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »
Yet another restoration, and yes, this one also includes a full cabinet respray.  As a mad ice hockey fan (it’s in the blood), I could never look past Bally’s Power Play.  A bit of history …..

The backglass features none other than Bobby Orr.  Orr was the “Don Bradman” of hockey back in the late 1960’s and 1970’s.  He played almost all of his career for the Boston Bruins in the National Hockey League (NHL).  As a very young lad growing up and starting off playing hockey myself around 1970, Orr was almost every young fan’s idol.  He was an incredibly talented player.  He was traded to the Chicago Black Hawks in 1976.  I realize that Orr is virtually an unknown here in Australia, but back in Canada and the US it would be almost unheard of to not know him.

I suppose his moving to Chicago, being the home of pinball, was something that Bally wanted to capitalise on.  Not sure though why the machine seems to be a “Canada versus Chicago” theme.

Anyway, onto the resto ……..

Having at this point already finished the Delta Queen, Six Million Dollar Man, Star Trek, and Freedom, I suppose I was building up a big of experience by now.  However, just looking at the artwork (especially the Indian head), I knew I was in for a challenge for the creation of the stencils.

With this machine, similar to a few before, I was also fortunate enough to come across a NOS playfield.  I knew that CPR were coming up with one, but I always prefer NOS/original if I can find one.  The backglass was in excellent condition, so the main focus was on the cabinet respray and playfield swap.

The cabinet was not too bad, but had alot of scratches and dings. Also, there were the “nice” bolt holes in the front of the cabinet for the extra security days of past to fill in.  But at least the cab was in great shape structurally, like all the ones I had worked on in the past.

Here’s a few images of the before look.

The playfield was in fairly good condition, but it had a lot of ball swirl and wear in the upper part.  Once I knew I had a lead on a NOS one, I had to jump on the opportunity.

The backbox had an unusual finish around the lock – I’ve never seen this before, as almost all Ballys from this generation had the traditional “wedge” cutout around the lock area.  I would eventually cut out some of the side to create this look later.

The following image shows just how much fade there was in red – look at the top of the front of the cabinet!  And there are those four holes to fill in.

Some more images of the cab.  The neck on the main cab was pretty rough, but would be filled in and painted satin black.

Here are images of the sides, after getting the siderails off.  Now there’s the red the cabinet is meant to have – under the siderail.  It was interesting to note that it looks like the cab may have been sprayed at the factory with red as the base colour, but I did mine in white and worked from there.

I always have a hit and miss experience with removing the nails with the siderails.  It all comes down to how flush the nail head is with the rail.  I use sidecutters, and put a couple layers of masking tape down on the rail first to minimize damage from the sidecutter as I try to grip the nail head and slightly turn as I am lifting it up.  I find this works well.

Here’s a close up of the Indian head.  A fair amount of detail here to copy for the stencil, and those scratches just had to go.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Power Play
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:58:29 PM »
Interesting to see the red base color. Indeed it was red as the inside of the cabinet is also red. This is an awesome game. Even though it is an Ice Hockey theme, it went well in its route days. The bally with symmetrical playfields were always good earners. This was one of the last games with chimes. I have the CPR playfield (as well as an old one from Steve !), and I look forward to restoring my game - more to play it than anything else.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
Great stuff, looking forward to more up dates on this one.

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
I had one of these was my second pin, good fun game. Love the chimes.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »
Can't help but notice the other similar era Bally's in the background of a lot of your pictures Steve. If you feel like it and if you get the chance I'd love to see some pics of the others in your line up as well. It looks like a fantastic collection you have there.  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »
This will be good bring it on steve

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 01:08:08 AM »
Here’s the playfield removed, and just before every part is stripped from it to prepare for the playfield swap.  As mentioned, this playfield was pretty decent, but as a NOS one was within reach and together with the cabinet respray and the game is a keeper, it made sense to me to go for the NOS playfield.

And here is the NOS playfield.

The two playfields side by side.  Although the original looked good on its own, you can now see the difference.  The most notable difference is around the pop bumper area.

From here the playfield swap process I have covered in previous restoration threads.  But I captured a few images of the process.  All parts first removed from the top of the playfield, then to the reverse side.  And then the cardboard swap routine.  This was now my 4th playfield swap, so it was becoming second nature to me and going quicker.  There is not alot on the back of the Power Play playfield to swap, so it was pretty straightforward.

The restored playfield got the usual treatment of alot of replaced parts – flipper rebuilds, plastic parts (flippers, pop bumpers, all targets, posts, etc.  Some of these parts were replaced earlier on, so that is why they look new in the before images of the playfield.

When it comes now to the cabinet restoration, I always seem to find a way to procrastinate.  While I love the end result of the respray, I do dread a bit the creation of the cabinet stencils and the work involved.  It’s always enough to “put me off” for a bit.  But then once I get into it and make progress, it gets the momentum going.

I can now say that Power Play was a beast of stencil work – hands down the most enduring and time consuming stencil set I have done.  I still believe creating your own stencils gets the best results (if you are up to it), because you have every opportunity to recreate original down to the last bit of detail.  I guess you could say I am a bit of a stickler for the detail ensuring originality of the artwork is maintained when it comes to stencils.

Here is the early stage of the blue stencil for the side of the cabinet.  All tracing had already been done, and this image was after cutting out some of the artwork with the xacto knife.  There are actually two stencils being cut here once at the same time.  You can only see the top one, but underneath is the second one.  One cut, and two stencils created in the one go.

Here is the completed blue stencil for the side of the cabinet.  Alot of work at this point, but very happy with the stencil work so far.

Here is the red stencil for the Indian head.  For this section I found it easier to “break up” the red stencil for the cabinet side.  Separate (small) stencils were done for the other parts of the red stencil for the cabinet side.

The stencil is actually being supported to hold its shape by a cardboard “frame”, which you can see about an inch outside of the perimeter of the stencil.  I find that for stencils with large openings (such as this one), it is necessary to provide the frame to ensure that when the stencil is applied to the cabinet, it will all go down flat and not wrinkle upon itself.

The cabinet was prepared as others before it – filled, sanded, and primed.  Then the base colour of white.  I usually let at least one week pass between prime and base colour, then another week until the first colour goes down.  In this case, red was the first colour to be applied, and here are the results.  I sometimes get a bit of paint bleed on the edges, which are touched up later.

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:58 AM »
Can't help but notice the other similar era Bally's in the background of a lot of your pictures Steve. If you feel like it and if you get the chance I'd love to see some pics of the others in your line up as well. It looks like a fantastic collection you have there.  ^^^

Thanks.  Yes, without doubt my favourite era is simply what I grew up as a very young teenager through to my early 20's.  And this is the period from about the mid 70's to the early 80's.  And I think there would be a consensus that it was a very good and productive period for Bally with all the titles they were coming out with.  I still have a soft spot though for Gottlieb EMs, and have one of those which I never get bored of playing and really enjoy - Buccaneer.  Was very fortunate to be able to source one from Nino, who nicely restored it (and I am currently continuing with that in doing a cab respray).

The others in the lineup I have been fortunate to land, and these include Fathom, Viking, Freedom, Star Trek, Embryon, Skateball, and Delta Queen.  Some of these are for sentimental value back to my youth, and others are just great fun to play.

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
OK, with the red completed on the main cabinet, it was time to apply the blue.  As mentioned, the blue stencil was a bit of a beast – alot of perimeter to cut out for the creation of the stencil.

But now another challenge was in front of me.  Picking up the stencil, it was clear immediately that there was a very apparent risk that the stencil would fold upon itself when trying to apply it to the side of the cabinet with the adhesive.  It needed to be attached to a frame to hold its shape during the application process.

The easy solution was to attach the stencil to stiff cardboard.  And so here is the frame I cut out for the stencil, which was also reusable for the stencil for the other side.  I further reinforced it with a few pieces of timber, applied with double sided tape.

Here is the stencil applied to the side of the cabinet, after spraying the stencil with the adhesive.  I first lined up the edge of the stencil along its top edge (where you can see the 3 pieces of blue tape).  I line it up precisely, tape it in place at these 3 places, then gently lay the stencil slowly down until it makes a flat contact with the side of the cabinet.  The pieces of timber and other cardboard reinforcement is gently removed before spraying the paint.

Alignment of the blue stencil in the case of Power Play is key, and if it is off, it will be immediately noticeable.

I must have not remembered to take any intermediate pictures from here on in, so I will jump straight to the finished result.

Lots of new parts – all plastic pop bumper parts, posts, post caps, slingshot kicker heads, flippers (and complete flipper rebuilds), drop targets, standup target, star rollovers, flipper buttons, locks, leg bolts, etc.  Apron was sanded back, primed, and painted with new Pinball Rescue decals.

The wooden playfield rails were resprayed with a fresh coat of paint.  Legs were sanded backed, primed with etch primer, and painted gun metal grey.  Siderails of cabinet were regrained using scotchbrite, with new nails installed.

Again, a bundle of work to complete, but I was very happy with the result.  Hope I did Bobby proud.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Amazing work you did there on the stencils Steve. The whole machine has come up beautifully, you must be very happy with it.

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »
That is a Sweet looking pin ..

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Another awesome result Steve... WELL DONE with the stencils  @@* @@*

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
Another excellent result Steve . Your game looks fantastic . Collector quality for sure  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
Fark what a great job. You probably covered this else where but what did you use to make the stencil? I am guessing some king of paper and then sprayed with some kind of adhesive. I'm thinking of maybe having a go on m spacies but need the ground work figured out before even considering the task.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »