Author Topic: Silicone pinball rubber  (Read 1569 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Silicone pinball rubber
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »
I am curious on longevity of silicone to polyurethane pinball rubbers ( or similar )and would like to start this thread discussing the ever essential
PINBALL RUBBER REVIEW

we all know that rubbers are a key component for a machine to play well but not often discussed, well I love toying with simple, easy, cost effective solutions to make pinball play and look better, so, here is my three cents.
Feel free to make your own observations and post here.

Firstly I am hooked on SUPER BANDS, not only do they look AWESOME they seem to play more direct and keep really clean. They are a very cheap and easy thing to purchase and install, although some people have trouble with this as they are quite hard when cool. The tip is to submerse them in warm to hot water for a while which will make them a lot more subtle then they just slip on. All good pinball suppliers sell them now and I bought my last through RTBB and for about the same price as the yanks. There is a lot more coming out apparently for normal rubber replacements too.
Colours are amazing and can really make quite an impact to any machine.
Best value for money so far. 10/10  

Secondly I have just installed some silicone black rubber from Pinball Centre in Europe, well these things are a tad expensive, but, they are damn easy to install and FxxK me they are lightning fast. I first installed onto a FT I have just shopped out and yeah har this thing is now playing better than new, the silicone is shiny and available in all the sizes required for any machine including flipper rubbers. They are available in a cool translucent, gloss white and obviously gloss black.  
I was that impressed I put the on my BBH and it is like learning to play again, really impressed.only thing I am not quite sure of yet is their flipper rubber, it feels too spongy and not as precise as aforementioned product.
Double the price at least of standard rubber but it makes a huge impact on gameplay, doesn't get dirty and shouldn't leave that bloody crap dust everywhere. 8/10 awesome product but loses a point for cost and the flipper rubbers. Let's hope this stuff lasts to help offset the initial cost.

So I ask, has any one else tried these simple essential products or similar and how do you find they work for you?

I am looking to see how long they last to plain ordinary rubber. I Here that silicone is not as robust as polyurethane, so I am keen to keep a track of this.
Think I will go and play BBH afghani. BEST GAME EVER!  *%*

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:33:19 PM by oldskool1969 »
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Silicone pinball rubber
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:13 AM »
I am experimenting with silicon in the Homepin factory for our machines. The one BIG problem with silicone is if it gets even the SMALLEST nick in it it will snap almost straight away. The smallest nick travels right through the product almost instantly.

This isn't such an issue for the home machine BUT for an operator it's misery!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
Mike,
after reading what you said about the silicone you were trying for your products, I had decided to sacrifice a few by nicking them and then tried to pull, play, stretch and hit them till they broke.
Nope, these German rubbers are very tough. I managed to stretch one till it broke, but believe me, this was not that easy and I am a fairly large bloke.
Obviously taking into account that these things weren't meant for the treatment I gave them, I am very impressed. Time will tell no doubt.
Maybe the silicone you can source in China is not to the same standard as these ones from Europe? who knows as they don't give away trade secrets. Just like stainless steel there are many, many grades of silicone too. Wonder what the American coloured silicone is like? might have to buy some to see.
After a few more smashes on my 2 fastest games I will keep this thread up to date in a few months.
Andy

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
one month has gone by and these rubbers are still good.
The PPCR meet is at my house this Sunday and curious as to wether any body notices the difference and how they hold up with this motley crew. I have silicone flipper rubbers on a sited AC/DC and they are still good and also gave a few to a mate with a WOZ and he likes the extra bounce on the centre drain post and also the RESCUE play field.
Still prefer the Super Band flipper rubbers though  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »
I use high voltage silicon cable in my job.. rated to 15KV.
There are 2 types available... standard is what we have been using for years, comes on a 100M roll and the silicon is difficult to cut but very flexible.
Next we have the Chinese stuff which isn't actually that much cheaper.. doesn't come on a roll but as Homepin says... one nick and it splits. great for cutting and stripping back but if nicked and on a curve then you run the risk of exposing the cable and potential short to ground.
So yes.. we have 2 types in my business.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:50 PM »
I am curious on longevity of silicone to polyurethane pinball rubbers ( or similar )and would like to start this thread discussing the ever essential
PINBALL RUBBER REVIEW

we all know that rubbers are a key component for a machine to play well but not often discussed, well I love toying with simple, easy, cost effective solutions to make pinball play and look better, so, here is my three cents.
Feel free to make your own observations and post here.

Firstly I am hooked on SUPER BANDS, not only do they look AWESOME they seem to play more direct and keep really clean. They are a very cheap and easy thing to purchase and install, although some people have trouble with this as they are quite hard when cool. The tip is to submerse them in warm to hot water for a while which will make them a lot more subtle then they just slip on. All good pinball suppliers sell them now and I bought my last through RTBB and for about the same price as the yanks. There is a lot more coming out apparently for normal rubber replacements too.
Colours are amazing and can really make quite an impact to any machine.
Best value for money so far. 10/10  

Secondly I have just installed some silicone black rubber from Pinball Centre in Europe, well these things are a tad expensive, but, they are damn easy to install and FxxK me they are lightning fast. I first installed onto a FT I have just shopped out and yeah har this thing is now playing better than new, the silicone is shiny and available in all the sizes required for any machine including flipper rubbers. They are available in a cool translucent, gloss white and obviously gloss black.  
I was that impressed I put the on my BBH and it is like learning to play again, really impressed.only thing I am not quite sure of yet is their flipper rubber, it feels too spongy and not as precise as aforementioned product.
Double the price at least of standard rubber but it makes a huge impact on gameplay, doesn't get dirty and shouldn't leave that bloody crap dust everywhere. 8/10 awesome product but loses a point for cost and the flipper rubbers. Let's hope this stuff lasts to help offset the initial cost.

So I ask, has any one else tried these simple essential products or similar and how do you find they work for you?

I am looking to see how long they last to plain ordinary rubber. I Here that silicone is not as robust as polyurethane, so I am keen to keep a track of this.
Think I will go and play BBH afghani. BEST GAME EVER!  *%*

Have you got the links for the ones from RTBB?

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »
Just installed flipper super bands on my tz and they feel great. Also installed post bands on my tz, ToM and embryon where the rubber rings take a major beating and last for a short time. So will provide a progress report on their performance, durability, and appearance after a few games. Looks wise they really blend in well.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
Just installed flipper super bands on my tz and they feel great. Also installed post bands on my tz, ToM and embryon where the rubber rings take a major beating and last for a short time. So will provide a progress report on their performance, durability, and appearance after a few games. Looks wise they really blend in well.

Excellent, I'll be keen to hear how they preform over the long run.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
The first thing to report is the look hot. The post rubbers in blue and red especially and the blue flipper ones are nice and shiney and sleek looking. I'll take shots tomorrow.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 01:43:55 AM »
The first thing to report is the look hot. The post rubbers in blue and red especially and the blue flipper ones are nice and shiney and sleek looking. I'll take shots tomorrow.
So are these the Superbands post rubbers or the silicone ones?
My silicone rubbers are holding up real well, same with the Superbands flipper rubbers.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
So are these the Superbands post rubbers or the silicone ones?
My silicone rubbers are holding up real well, same with the Superbands flipper rubbers.
purchased from rtbb so think they're the superbands, but Greg can confirm.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
Here are some photos. I'm hoping the post rubbers last longer and better than the standard whites.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
Couple more photos

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
In my experience, I played a sited Champion Pub recently which had the Super Bands installed over the lower flipper bats. I found them to be less grippy to standard rubber. Ie, the ball was more difficult to trap as the friction properties seemed to be reduced by the silicon. In some instances, a standard trap would otherwise see the ball travel over the bat.

As for using it on only areas of the machine, I wouldn't know but I'd be sticking to good ol' rubber for the flippers.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
Never played a machine with these but they do look slick on your twilight zone.