Author Topic: RFM opto problem  (Read 367 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
RFM opto problem
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:32:10 PM »
I did a quick clean on my revenge from mars which involved removing all ramps and catcher. Unfortunately I didn't check to see if there were any problems. Anyway all back together and I notice the left hand ramp entrance Optos are activated/interrupted.

I am guessing this may have been a problem maybe for ages if not since owned. It is impossible to clean these without removing the ramp from the pf and game play doesn't seem to be hindered by it. It also is not reported as an error in the error report.

So can someone please tell me if their opto switch # 52 actually works and if so what is its purpose Gameplay wise as there is a micro switch near the top 180 degree turn on this same ramp which obviously tells the programming that the ramp was made.

Secondly, is there a way to test an opto that is already activated when the beam is not broken?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:34:06 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: RFM opto problem
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
An update. Took the ramp off and replaced the Optos. Now the beam is reporting as there, but I cannot interrupt it now. So the beam is on all the time as opposed to being broken all the time. Go figure  &^&

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
Did you wire it the correct way around?
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
Did you wire it the correct way around?
I think so in that it is wired how it was. I simply disconnected a wire and soldered to the new opto and then moved onto the next. maybe it was wired incorrectly in the first place. Is there somewhere I can check how it should be wired? Thanks

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
Also it would pay to ensure the two wires aren't shorted as that would "present" as a closed switch to the circuitry??

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Maybe posting a picture of the optos will help? Does the opto show open if you unplug it from the loom? If so the problem is most certainly at the opto.

I can't imagine a switch being installed for no reason. It may just activate a ramp almost make sound or something.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Will try your suggestions. Currently black opto wiring k/e =orange, a/c =grey, white opto ke = black ac = grey and checked my tz is the same

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
Maybe posting a picture of the optos will help? Does the opto show open if you unplug it from the loom? If so the problem is most certainly at the opto.

I can't imagine a switch being installed for no reason. It may just activate a ramp almost make sound or something.
when plugged in shows open or beam not interrupted, when I unplug it shows closed or like I have broken the beam. Where does this leave me?

Btw it is showing correctly when plugged in but does not work when beam interrupted
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:22:12 PM by pinball god »

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
Did you replace just the LEDs on the tiny boards or did you buy new boards with LED and receiver already installed? Did you replace both transmitter and receiver? If you replaced the components on the boards are they on there correct wiring and are they orientated the correct way on the boards?
Will try your suggestions. Currently black opto wiring k/e =orange, a/c =grey, white opto ke = black ac = grey and checked my tz is the same

This is a little confusing. The white opto is the led transmitter and should have terminals a-grey and k- black. The black is the receiver and should have terminals c- grey/yellow and e-orange.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:05:00 PM by DSB »

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Some pics

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »
I have a load of new white and black Optos so I replaced both complete units.

I can change the Optos around but that how the were and my tz d showing the same. Please confirm before I do this or whether changing them around will cause a bigger problem
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:53:35 PM by pinball god »

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
From the test you did below it sounds like its a problem with the opto which is a good thing. Before you change it again can you confirm what you changed.  Can you also confirm how yours is wired compared to the below pictures. We don't want to make it worse than it is.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
From the test you did below it sounds like its a problem with the opto which is a good thing. Before you change it again can you confirm what you changed.  Can you also confirm how yours is wired compared to the below pictures. We don't want to make it worse than it is.
I replaced a complete set, pcb, housing, led as a unit, no assembly on my behalf.

I know the Optos were put in the same way, but as a side note, my tz has three sets wired like my rfm and one set as yours, so I'm confused.

So you think its the Optos even though I replaced with a new set. I will try another and see what happens if you think I should try another set.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
Update all fixed. Replaced with my old TZ Optus. Dunno if my new sets are compatible or not. The main difference I can see is the pcb has both ke and ac instead of k/a and c/a on the respective opto. It may have been a bad set, but I think I may have had a similar problem when troubleshooting my tz???

Anyway checked the manual and I did have everything wired right etc. The switch does stuff all except acknowledge you made it half way up the ramp and so will award a hit on a Martian etc whereas making the second switch awards a missile. Otherwise you'd rarely notice as you usually associate making the complete ramp shot with the associated awards.

Thanks guys for your assistance.  ^^^

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
 ^^^ good to hear. Where did you get the replacement opto set from. Would be interesting to know if they are faulty or it is a compatibility issue.