Author Topic: gamesroom essentials-adelaide  (Read 1258 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
gamesroom essentials-adelaide
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:58:16 AM »
News
Pinball wizard Danny Daly flips his fortunes after $30,000 theft

Nathan Davies
    Sunday Mail (SA)
    July 05, 2014 8:16PM

Danny Daly with some of the pinball machines at Game Room Essentials, Gepps Cross.

Danny Daly with some of the pinball machines at Game Room Essentials, Gepps Cross.

WHEN a thief stole $30,000 worth of pinball machines and video games from Danny Daly’s fledgling business last year, he admits he seriously considered throwing in the towel.

The 42-year-old former Holden assembly line worker had invested part of his redundancy package in the machines, hoping to turn a passion for retro gaming into a business that could support his young family.

“Someone who had a key to the building I was renting stole four pinball machines, seven arcade machines, a jukebox – it totally destroyed me,” Mr Daly said.

Now, thanks to the support of the gaming community and construction company Bianco, Mr Daly is back and bigger than ever.

GameRoom Essentials, housed in an unused Gepps Cross office building that Mr Daly rents from Bianco at a discount rate, is now home to 37 pinball machines – Australia’s largest publicly accessible collection.

There are also dozens of vintage video game machines, a canteen and plans for a band stage and a mini-golf course.

Mr Daly said he was yet to pull a wage from GameRoom Essentials, but was amply rewarded by the joy of young people “playing the silver ball” for the first time.

“The kids have never seen anything like it,” he said.

GameRoom Essentials is now running Saturday night family “lock ins” where, for $25 for adults and $15 for kids, retro gamers can get a serious case of flipper finger over five hours. It will be a familiar concept for those who remember the old Downtown arcade in Hindley St.

“We get big families coming in and having a ball,” he said.

“Amusement arcades have become very expensive. Then you always have one of the kids who has used all the credit on his card and has to stand around while his brother keeps playing games. That doesn’t happen here.”

The lock-ins have proved so popular that GameRoom Essentials has now expanded the concept to Thursday nights.

“We’re calling it the ‘husband crech’,” Mr Daly said.

“If the wives want to go shopping on a Thursday night they can drop their husbands off here and we’ll look after them.”

The arcade is also hired by schools who teach students with behavioural issues and charities who supervise people who have trouble integrating with society.

Mr Daly said that while he hoped to one day make a living from GameRoom Essentials, for the time being all money raised is being ploughed back into the business.

“I get a lot out of the enjoyment of the people who come here to play,” he said.

“Everyone has a pinball story.”

Mr Daly said the next stage of development would involve an indoor mini-golf course and a stage for bands.

He said he hoped to provide a location where bands could get some exposure in an all-ages, alcohol-free environment.

Anyone interested in helping to fund the expansion can contribute to the crowd-funding site through the gameroom essentials facebook page

Originally published as Danny flips his fortunes after theft
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: gamesroom essentials-adelaide
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
Here's the link to the adelaidenow website:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/pinball-wizard-danny-daly-flips-his-fortunes-after-30000-theft/story-fni6uo1m-1226979034546?nk=b4ed25a956e41cd97cdc8b78cc158edc

Danny's a great guy and the work he puts into Gameroom Essentials is unreal.
He is 100% committed to bringing the arcades back.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
What a fantastic story, thanks for highlighting Gamesroom Essentials and Danny's story to us. It's a nice place Adelaide but I haven't been there for years, now I have a reason to head back.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
Good story.  

Hey Crashramp, I know you're not thinking what I am thinking but jeez it would be good fun and I am sure your Dad would throw his support behind it  ;o)
Addicted to pins.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »
Great story and great to hear Danny is doing well again  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
 Danny sounds like such a genuine and positive person. Its very rare to find someone who isnt into something jusy to make a motza. Good luck to him and his dream.  ^^^
Thanks for sharing.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
Turning over a new leaf hey studley.  #@#

Two weeks ago after I brought the GRE meets to AP's attention, you responded by publicly rubbishing the guy and the people who attend his meets.

As I said to you at the time, at least he is putting on meets that are open to everyone, which is a refreshing change for Adelaide.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »

As I said to you at the time, at least he is putting on meets that are open to everyone, which is a refreshing change for Adelaide.

What the??

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:34 AM »

Two weeks ago after I brought the GRE meets to AP's attention, you responded by publicly rubbishing the guy and the people who attend his meets.

excuse me.please refresh my mind.i do no recal doing anything of the kind.i have been a follower and supporter of danny for years.i did nothing of that kind.RUBEN

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 02:36:44 AM »

excuse me.please refresh my mind.i do no recal doing anything of the kind.i have been a follower and supporter of danny for years.i did nothing of that kind.RUBEN

ruben,i have just spent the last hour looking for any reference to your profound quote.you are full of sh....t

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 02:36:53 AM »

All of your posts were removed by Admin at the time because of their insulting nature to both GRE and the people who attend his pinball meets.

The comments related to both his alleged financial status and to the perceived intelligence of the attendees.

No, I am not going to repeat them or turn this into some melodrama.

Just pointing out that if you are a supporter of what GRE is doing for the local pinball scene then all good and well, but the comments made at the time (maybe in jest, maybe for some other reason) were duly noted at the time.

Cheers.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 02:39:13 AM »
bullsh .  it

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
What a fantastic story, thanks for highlighting Gamesroom Essentials and Danny's story to us. It's a nice place Adelaide but I haven't been there for years, now I have a reason to head back.

X2

Thanks for the link studley.