Author Topic: Container Imports - From the 80's !  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Container Imports - From the 80's !
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
Cleaning out the storage building and finding boxes of documentation and I found some of the history of my Father's business. As most of you know, Dad was one of the first operators (if not the first) of amusement machines - starting in 1951-52. Back in those days, importing machines was very different. I do remember driving down to the docks and unloading containers in the mid - late 70's. Pinballs and Video games. So I was surprised to find some of the old import documentation. I have a heap of this stuff that I need to go through, but I found some Insurance books on those imports. This looks to be the last book, as is still has empty forms. so either the next shipments were not insured, or they were done differently. There are these strange forms called "Telex" which have manifests and communication between sellers and Dad. Some of it is really amazing to read. If there is interest, I will scan and post some of this history.

Here's an insurance form from an import from Japan. I suspect it was a container of Videos, but it also mentions "Pin Balls and the like". I asked Dad about these forms and he told me that in the old days, he would half fill a container from the USA, and then the ship would go to Japan. He had a contact in Japan, who would accept the container, and then fill it with video games. Then when it came to Australia - it cost less in fees and duties etc.

I've yet to find the exact manifests of these imports, but I think it is all there, it just needs me to sort through them. There is the rumored container of Fathoms, Medusas etc that never made it.. but that's another story !

I'll post more interesting stuff as I find it. There is a 1950's "work book" that has the repairs logged that Dad was doing as he moved from being a Motor Mechanic to a "Pin Ball Mechanic" - That's how they spelt it !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Container Imports - From the 80's !
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
That's AWSOME stuff like this is so fascinating

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:57 PM »
Ha Ha.. TELEX.. the equivalent of an email back in those days

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »
Nice historic records. Not sure about the 2 dates on the form as the sailing date is more than 2 months before August 81. Was the shipping load covered by the insurance?
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »
Nice historic records. Not sure about the 2 dates on the form as the sailing date is more than 2 months before August 81. Was the shipping load covered by the insurance?

Nice pick up ! The three other Insurance forms have the same dates - 1/8/1981. The first vessel sailed 15/5/81, the second 22/7/1981 and 11/7/1981. But the insurance forms are all dated 1/8/1981.

This is only the Insurance, not the value of the commercial Invoice.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia